Ill cat please read

lily_angel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I apologise for this being a long post, but please read it.. i need your help.
I have an 18 year old cat called Daisy, today i went into the kitchen to get some food and i heard my cat scream (shes a vocal cat anyway, always letting the other cats know that she dont like them lol) i turned around and saw her laying under the table, then she got up and stumbled a few paces into the frontroom then screamed again and fell to the floor. I called my mum and she picked daisy up and sat her on the sofa. Daisy got down and went back under the table and threw up yellow watery stuff. My mum said to take her into the garden, so i did. She disappeared behind the rabbits shed. She was laying under a bush, panting. Then her body kept tensing up like she was having contractions. We brought her back indoors but she wouldnt settle down, she kept stumbling around and being sick. If we tried to touch her she screamed. She's been sick about 5 times now.

For the last couple of hours shes been asleep. Shes had a drink of cat milk, but no food today. I keep moaning at my parents to take her to a vet but my mum said shes better now, just because shes not vomiting and is resting doesnt mean shes better
My mum said shes not rushing her to the vets for being sick, i said that is wasnt just being sick, she was really ill! I dont know what to do because i have no money, and my parents dont think its serious. But im really worried!

Thank you for reading, any ideas whats wrong with her?

Lily x

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A vet needs to see your cat. You mother is being irresponsible by refusing to give needed medical care to a suffering animal. Sorry, I tried to write it more diplomatically but it came out this way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lily_angel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only have £28

I can walk daisy to the vets if i must but i can't pay them the money they will need nor can i make any decisons about whats to be done for her because she isnt my cat

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honey, I don't know what to tell you. The cat needs a vet, you can't afford it and your mother won't do it. Unless you can talk the vet into accepting payments from you (which you'll have to do a part-time job to earn the money), or get some other relative to loan you the money, this cat is going to suffer terribly and may have a long and painful death, depending on what is wrong with her. Believe me, cats are fantastic at hiding pain so if she's showing pain then the pain is very bad.

Are there any places in your area that will help people who can't afford vet care? Hopefully some of our UK folks will be able to be more help to you.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get your mum to at least ring the vets and describe her symptoms to them? They may be able to convince her that she needs to see a vet.

I don`t worry if one of my cat`s is sick once or twice with no other symptoms but the screaming and stumbling and vomiting bile would have my alarm bells ringing.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See if the Vet takes money. My Stormy did that last Dec and she had to be Pts. Her Kidneys were gone. Your Cat wil die if she dosent go to the Vet. I have seen what you desribed to many times.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

A vet needs to see your cat. You mother is being irresponsible by refusing to give needed medical care to a suffering animal. Sorry, I tried to write it more diplomatically but it came out this way.
Under the circumstances, I think you were being polite, mschauer.

I have to think that there are anti-cruelty laws in the UK which include neglect and unnecessary suffering. What's going on with poor Daisy right now falls into that category.

There are several things that could have caused Daisy to be ill, but honestly, it doesn't matter what any of us speculate it might be, because Daisy needs a vet ASAP, not guesses from TCS. Anything that causes a cat to scream, stumble and vomit demands attention!!! You're right, Lily, just because Daisy is resting now, it certainly doesn't mean she's better or that how she acted earlier can just be shrugged off. And please don't let her outside again where she may crawl away and not be found...

Get Daisy to the vet. Worry later about paying for it. Perhaps the vet will let you do a payment plan as some vets in the US do. Daisy has given you 18 years of love and companionship. She doesn't deserve to suffer.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Originally Posted by KTLynn

Under the circumstances, I think you were being polite, mschauer.

I have to think that there are anti-cruelty laws in the UK which include neglect and unnecessary suffering. What's going on with poor Daisy right now falls into that category.

There are several things that could have caused Daisy to be ill, but honestly, it doesn't matter what any of us speculate it might be, because Daisy needs a vet ASAP, not guesses from TCS. Anything that causes a cat to scream, stumble and vomit demands attention!!! You're right, Lily, just because Daisy is resting now, it certainly doesn't mean she's better or that how she acted earlier can just be shrugged off. And please don't let her outside again where she may crawl away and not be found...

Get Daisy to the vet. Worry later about paying for it. Perhaps the vet will let you do a payment plan as some vets in the US do. Daisy has given you 18 years of love and companionship. She doesn't deserve to suffer.
You both mean well and are right in that the cat needs a vet, but if you have read the original post, you'll see that the cat does not belong to this young woman and her mom refuses to take the cat to a vet. It would be much more productive to try to give some constructive advice than to come down so hard on her.

I hope one of our UK folks will be able to direct this young woman to a source of help for the cat. She really wants to do the right thing.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

You both mean well and are right in that the cat needs a vet, but if you have read the original post, you'll see that the cat does not belong to this young woman and her mom refuses to take the cat to a vet. It would be much more productive to try to give some constructive advice than to come down so hard on her.
Actually in her OP she refers to the cat as "my cat". Also, I did not "come down" on her at all. I came down on her mother.

That said, I do agree other responses are far more constructive than mine. I shouldn't have posted when I was angry.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I re-read the original post and nowhere does it say that Daisy doesn't belong to Lily. The second sentence of the post states: *I* have an 18 year old cat Daisy, today I went into the kitchen to get some food and I heard *my* cat scream." Daisy is the *family* cat. When Lily says that Daisy isn't her cat in reply to mschauer's post I believe she meant that in the context of being unable to pay for Daisy's care.

As far as constructive advice, taking the cat to the vet *is* the best advice. There may be organizations in the UK that can help financially, but frankly, from the sound of it, by the time that's all lined up it could very well be too late for poor Daisy.

There was no criticism of Lily in my post. I have complete sympathy for her predicament and I'm with her 100% in her concern for Daisy. I don't know where you got the impression I was "coming down so hard on her".

bgoff1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lily do you have a branch of the PDSA near you? They treat animals whose owners are in financial need, failing that i would suggest you contact your family vet and speak to them over the phone and see what they suggest re payments etc... most vets are animal lovers so i am sure they wont just let poor Daisy suffer without trying to work round this. If you are really really worried abouhow much Daisy is suffering the other route is to contact the RSPCA? I hope any of this helpsy you and you can get Daisy (and your Mum) sorted out asap x

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lily, I hope you have solved your problem with Daisy. that she is doing well.

If you have not yet taken her to the vet, perhaps you can sit down with your parents and figure out how you can get them to take her to the vet without their being any cost to them. Arrange how you might repay them any costs for Daisy's care (your savings, housework, babysitting, odd jobs in the neighbourhood). Search the internet and see if you can print out some good, quality information on cat health and show them that the signs Daisy is displaying are certainly signs of illness. Show them you want to handle this responsibly. If you think you'll have trouble doing this verbally, maybe present them with a well-written letter outlining your concerns and how you propose to pay for the vet care.

Some of the suggestions from other posters have been good as well, but I realize that many of them mean going "behind your parents' back"....which might be difficult for you. Perhaps talking to them sensibly will help them.

I agree with the posters who say the Daisy needs to see a vet, but I know that you are trying your best to take care of Daisy!

Good Luck!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Actually in her OP she refers to the cat as "my cat". Also, I did not "come down" on her at all. I came down on her mother.

That said, I do agree other responses are far more constructive than mine. I shouldn't have posted when I was angry.
Originally Posted by KTLynn

I re-read the original post and nowhere does it say that Daisy doesn't belong to Lily. The second sentence of the post states: *I* have an 18 year old cat Daisy, today I went into the kitchen to get some food and I heard *my* cat scream." Daisy is the *family* cat. When Lily says that Daisy isn't her cat in reply to mschauer's post I believe she meant that in the context of being unable to pay for Daisy's care.

As far as constructive advice, taking the cat to the vet *is* the best advice. There may be organizations in the UK that can help financially, but frankly, from the sound of it, by the time that's all lined up it could very well be too late for poor Daisy.

There was no criticism of Lily in my post. I have complete sympathy for her predicament and I'm with her 100% in her concern for Daisy. I don't know where you got the impression I was "coming down so hard on her".
My apologies to you both - her reference to the cat not being hers was in her SECOND post and I do believe she means she does not have the authority to make any decisions regarding the cat, ergo, the cat isn't hers. I read both posts and just got them confused.

Mschauer - we all have posted when angry so you aren't alone. And again you are right - we need productive suggestions. I am as guilty as anyone else in that sometimes I respond in the heat of the moment.

bars

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well... so, how is the cat doing?
18 years - pretty old cat...