Is this a Kitten or a Child?

pauline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I have a new kitten, about 9 weeks old, perfectly assimulated into our house. The dog lets him curl up with him, the almost 1 year old female has literally adopted him, and everything is great.

Here is the strange part...He is like a baby! He cries when he is hungry, he will only eat if you sit with him, or the dog or the other cat eats with him.

He cries when he is tired. He needs someone to sit with him so he can fall asleep, a person, the other cat, or the dog. Otherwise he will walk around crying until you do...much like a 2 year old child.

Potty-He is completely litter trained, but, He cries when he has to go potty. If the litter box is too far away he cries about having to walk to it. I have to pick him up and carry him there. If I don't, he just cries the whole way there.

If you wake him up from his nap too soon, guess what, you have a crying kitten. Just like a little baby.

When he cries the older cat calls for him or comes running and starts grooming him and he starts purring, and purring.

Are these behaviors unusual? Who is being trained here?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OMG that is sooooo cute!!! Annoying maybe for you LOL but Sooooo cute to read about haha. I know my Capone was a little like that. We got him at 5 weeks old at the SPCA and he had no brothers or sisters I always assumed because he had nobody at such a young age it let to his clinginess. Id have to sit with him through almost everything he did and if I didn’t come he would have his friend “doggy” a stuffed pet Husky go with him… he couldn’t be alone. He’s fine now… in fact his pretty independent. Very different situation though.

LOL that’s still so cute…what a baby!

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got Jack at about 10 weeks and he was like this. Not quite as much but definitely "used" us a lot.

Funny thing is, now at 9 months he is still very needy. He talks a lot and you know when he needs something. We continued to raise him to be dependent on us--it can be a pain sometimes but we don't regret it.

My assumption would be, that just like a child who cries for what they want, the only way to stop it, is to ignore it when it happens.

Leslie

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Eight weeks old is pretty young to be by himself in the big cruel world, and he's probably used to having siblings to do everything with. I'd bet he's lonely, to some extent.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oh man, I definitely wouldn't keep carrying him to the litter box haha I'm sure he could get real used to that! He sounds adorable though! Ollie's 6 and still like a child... although I do baby him, he is my son afterall hahaha

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They do need to be put down for naps - esp. the bottle fed ones.
I noticed that my ferals, since they were with mom longer than my bottle fed babies, just seem to know when to go off to sleep; but the others
they get so cranky and pestery - and of course, they won't just lie down & stay there - one has to lie next to them till they drop off - just like the people kids

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pauline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Golden tails: Someone at my daughter's preschool had two litters of kittens. 11 babies total. She was giving them away. What could I do. I knew we were in desperate need of another cat, so the timing was perfect, for us.

I rescued our cat pauline last June 3 from a bad place at approxomately 4 weeks. Her littermates froze to death the night before...I live in the Mountians of CO so it can be freezing in June.

I had to bottle feed her, ect. She did great. That, together with the fact that during the 70's our family cats supplied the whole town with cats. (What's Spaying and Nuetering?) Wasn't to worried about taking and 8 week old.

If you read some of my other posts, you will notice I did struggle with it after the fact.

Anyway, I don't mind the taking care of the baby, it is what I am good at. I have never had a cat with such human-like characteristics so young. Once I figure out how to post a pic, will post one of this darling. He is unusual looking and beautiful to me. He has little black tuffs on the tips of his tabby ears. So cute and irresistable.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pauline

Golden tails: Someone at my daughter's preschool had two litters of kittens. 11 babies total. She was giving them away. What could I do. I knew we were in desperate need of another cat, so the timing was perfect, for us.

I rescued our cat pauline last June 3 from a bad place at approxomately 4 weeks. Her littermates froze to death the night before...I live in the Mountians of CO so it can be freezing in June.

I had to bottle feed her, ect. She did great. That, together with the fact that during the 70's our family cats supplied the whole town with cats. (What's Spaying and Nuetering?) Wasn't to worried about taking and 8 week old.

If you read some of my other posts, you will notice I did struggle with it after the fact.

Anyway, I don't mind the taking care of the baby, it is what I am good at. I have never had a cat with such human-like characteristics so young. Once I figure out how to post a pic, will post one of this darling. He is unusual looking and beautiful to me. He has little black tuffs on the tips of his tabby ears. So cute and irresistable.
I can barely wait to see him - he sounds so special.

dara678

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
omg that is so adorable. i would fall over everytime that happens! hahaha. my little ragdoll cries A LOT ... to be picked up, to be fed, to be paid attention, etc. he did it more as a kitten though (he's 1 now). maybe he'll grow out of it? in the meantime, enjoy the cute kitten meowing
!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat meowed like crazy when she was little (and also had the worst gas possible to imagine! lol) but now she a little over 1 and only meows alot when shes tired of being ignored. Also, she really doesn't meow at all when people are over. Your little baby knows it gets attention from meowing, so why stop. Try talking really quietly, that works with mine for some reason. Enjoy kittenhood while it lasts