how to make cake flat?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last few times i've baked a cake, the top is always bulky and broken sort of thing, does anyone know how to make it even so i can decorate it properly?
Or do i just simply cut the top part off?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

The last few times i've baked a cake, the top is always bulky and broken sort of thing, does anyone know how to make it even so i can decorate it properly?
Or do i just simply cut the top part off?
The trick to having a flat top is to turn the cake upside down so that the bottom becomes the top. Check out the bottom (which was the top) and see where it is wonky, and then slice off a bit of it so that it sits flat. Voila! A nice flat cake that you can decorate.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Use a spring form pan so you get the sides and bottom perfectly straight and square, and use a wire to cut the top while it's still in the spring form. Or if it's one of those huge spring forms, you can use cellophane and wrap it around the cake (use some butter to hold it in place), and use that as a guide for wire cutting. If you have trouble finding the wire, cheese cutter wire works fine, or use a long bread knife, but knives tend to put waves in the surface.

This method will give you about as close to a perfect cylinder as you can get.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Every time I've had to bake and decorate a cake (doesn't happen often, trust me) I've always taken the cheese wire off the cutter and cut the top off the cake. I intend to be doing the same when I make our wedding cake.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i dont have a cheese wire cutter!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just made a layer cake for DH's birthday and I only cut the bottom layer. I left the roundness on the top layer but I also didn't do any decorating. If you don't have a wire cutter just use a very long searated knife and use frosting to smooth things out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't cut off the top - do it the easy way. Put the cake on a plate. Put another plate on top of it and flip it over. You will have the nice flat bottom to decorate

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After baking my cakes, I toss them in the deep freeze over night (often right in the pans.) They are much easier to handle frozen, when you level the tops by cutting (I just use a large serrated bread knife.) Freezing seems to make them taste much moister. It also helps prevent crumbs when frosting it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Don't cut off the top - do it the easy way. Put the cake on a plate. Put another plate on top of it and flip it over. You will have the nice flat bottom to decorate
Ive tried that though and the lump is so big it doesnt stay straight.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

i dont have a cheese wire cutter!
If you don't have cheese cutter wire, you can use good old cotton thread, or fishing line, or even dental floss (the un-scented kind). Just be sure the cake is cooled if you use any of the above.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its really too high in the middle, then you will have to cut it a little. Then flip it over and frost - that way you have a good clean surface

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ive tried that though and the lump is so big it doesnt stay straight.
Which is why I said to cut off the "lumpy" area so that it does sit flat on the plate.

My mom used to decorate cakes for a living and I've decorated my fair share. So really, I know what I'm saying

auchick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In a cake baking class, we were taught to slice the top off, but after doing so, I always had issues with the icing getting all these crumbs in it. Finally I just gave up.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by auchick

In a cake baking class, we were taught to slice the top off, but after doing so, I always had issues with the icing getting all these crumbs in it. Finally I just gave up.
that's why you flip it.
Alton Brown did a whole episode on cake decorating. he sliced off the rounded tops, then flipped them so there was a flat side. then he also cut the sides so they were even. next, he applied what he called a 'crumb coat' - a thin layer of frosting.
i think after that, he let it harden, maybe?
anyway, then the final frosting was applied, along w/any decorative work.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister used to bake/decorate cakes for weddings etc. and she has told me that she also was taught to slice the top off to make the cake flat (many moons ago when she took cake decorating classes.)

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by auchick

That means you didn't use enough frosting.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

that's why you flip it.
Alton Brown did a whole episode on cake decorating. he sliced off the rounded tops, then flipped them so there was a flat side. then he also cut the sides so they were even. next, he applied what he called a 'crumb coat' - a thin layer of frosting.
i think after that, he let it harden, maybe?
anyway, then the final frosting was applied, along w/any decorative work.
After the "crumb coat" put the cake in the fridge to let the icing harden. A crumb coat should only be a quarter inch or so thick.