Nova's Color Change :)

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nova came to us as a mostly white, stray cat. I'd be interested to know if anyone has any insight into the genetics that give her her colour! She's darkened significantly in the 5 months I've had her. Here are a couple of pictures:

Then:

Now:

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmm she has been walking under the coffee pot? lol
i like the color mix looks pretty on her.

i have no idea, could be age thing? heyu it seems has been getting alot of white hairs. She had a all black belly. but after getting fixed all the hairs come back in white.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like typical (and very pretty) colourpoint tabby markings to me - same genetics as Siamese or Himalayan markings, starting out a creamy white and darkening first on the face, tail, and paws, then spreading along the back as they get older. Her parents were either colourpoint, or solid coloured carrying the colourpoint gene.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Looks like typical (and very pretty) colourpoint tabby markings to me - same genetics as Siamese or Himalayan markings, starting out a creamy white and darkening first on the face, tail, and paws, then spreading along the back as they get older. Her parents were either colourpoint, or solid coloured carrying the colourpoint gene.
Thanks!

Her color change was a surprise. I wonder how much darker she'll get and if new patterns will emerge? I've had her for just 5 months, and she looks so different! Not only her coat, but she's gone from 6lbs to 10lbs!
She was supposed to have been 7-10 months old when I got her in December. (Will her fur color change throughout her life?)

She does seem to have tabby markings on her face and sort of a ringed tail. I imagined one of her parents might be an orange tabby, and/or a colorpoint of some sort. But there are probably many combinations that could produce her fur color if they are carrying recessive genes?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could be making things up, but I think the red colour can take a while to come in.

Lily was a light grey kitty when we got her, and now she has a LOT more orange in her.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I love to think everyone has a Ragdoll
but with that growth in size and the colorpoint, she could be a Ragdoll mix!

estelle58

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

That's also what I was thinking...