Anyone awake?

momoftwogirls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have questions about my girl. She is my 6 year old and she is diabetic, tonight she wouldn't eat dinner, which sh has done before, so I thought nothing of it. She acted normal all evening. I went to bed and woke up to her meowing and coming out of the bathroom ( where the litter box is) and then she threw up like a tablespoon of reddish clear fluid. I wiped it up right away and looked at it and it looked like blood to me. I am calling the vet first thing in the morning. She will drink water, but she turned her nose up to everything even Tuna. What do you think, I am in tears worried about her. I was just wondering if anyone else was awake to ease my fears. BTW I checked her blood sugar and it was normal. Please send vibes for me and my baby.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can tell you blood is not good, but cannot give you any ideas what it might be. Do you have an emergency vet you can call?

I'm sending
& your way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momoftwogirls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I can tell you blood is not good, but cannot give you any ideas what it might be. Do you have an emergency vet you can call?

I'm sending
& your way!
It was not that much blood, and it was not bright red either, so maybe I am overreacting and it could just be the color of the food they had for dinner (maybe she had a bite while I wasn't looking). She is sitting here with me on the couch purring like crazy. I hope it is nothing, I will keep you updated. Thanks for responding by the way, DBF is at a loss as to what to say to me. I called my mom and woke her up but I needed to talk to someone, and I can't sleep.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixel did that, once [pic here]. never again, tho. if she's drinking & appears to be feeling ok, i think you could probably wait till morning to see the vet - see if she upchucks any more in the meantime.
sending & that its just an anomaly!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

Pixel did that, once [pic here]. never again, tho. if she's drinking & appears to be feeling ok, i think you could probably wait till morning to see the vet - see if she upchucks any more in the meantime.
sending & that its just an anomaly!
OMG, I would flip if Popsie upchucked something like that. I'd probably have a panic attack.

ktlynn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's possible it could be a little undigested food from earlier today. The good news is that it sounds like she feels better since she vomited because now she's purring and sitting with you. Normal blood sugar should reassure you, too.

Sometimes if a cat vomits a few times in a row, she will vomit up reddish or pinkish liquid. This is from broken capillaries in the stomach which have become irritated by repeated vomiting. In your kitty's case, however, it seems she's only vomited once (another good thing!)

I wouldn't expect her to want to eat after getting sick. If you're going to be up for at least another hour, try offering a little plain chicken (no skin). Don't worry if she still doesn't want it. By morning she'll hopefully have her appetite back. It's a good idea to call the vet just to get his/her thoughts on this.

All best wishes to you and your baby

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots and lots of vibes for your baby girl!

It's awful when they get sick at night or on a Sunday or Holiday and you have to wait till morning to get to a vet. At the end of February Chynna got sick on a Friday night. It was one of the worse nights I've ever had. I stayed awake watching her sleep and was so stressed out by morning.

I hope your baby will be ok
Please let us know what the vet says.

shashagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If she behaves normal she'll be fine. Shasha use to vomit and the vet assured me that as long as she isn't acting sick she'll recover. If she were bleeding I think she would not purr. I'm sending good vibes

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just being diabetic can cause vomiting in cats. Take away her food for 8 hours and give her plenty of fresh water during that time. If after that time period there has been no new emesis, give her a tiny bit of food, wait for one hour to see if she gives it back. If she has reoccurring vomiting then call a vet without delay. If you are feeding heavily dyed food like Meow Mix the redness could be the food dye and not blood. Bright red blood is your warning sign, other than that you are dealing with old blood that could be really anything.

Good luck

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You mentioned color from her food - what are you feeding her? Many cats will throw up food with the dyes in them (especially the red dye like in Meow Mix).

smirkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shashagirl

If she were bleeding I think she would not purr.
Purring doesn't always mean contentment, sometimes a cat will purr to comfort itself. I've seen cats in pretty bad pain purring, which always makes me a little nervous. I'm not saying your cat *is* in pain, just that purring doesn't negate the possibility.

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Shashagirl

If she behaves normal she'll be fine. Shasha use to vomit and the vet assured me that as long as she isn't acting sick she'll recover. If she were bleeding I think she would not purr. I'm sending good vibes
Sometimes cats purr if they are in pain, to try to comfort themselves. The fact she's sitting on your lap though is a good sign.

Plenty of for her!