New Englanders!

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just moved out here a few months ago, and now my mommy is coming to visit. I have no idea where to take her! Ide like to go to Salem, MA. and maybe to some beach. But she is going to be here for 9 days and i just dont know what to do! Boston is a good one too, but i dont know how to get around there.

Any suggestions?

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just moved too! (from WA to ME) so Ill be watching your thread, I want to go to Boston soo bad but havent got all this transportation stuff figured out (its different on the west coast) and I dont actually know anyone yet. But anyhow, pretty much the only place Ive been is Acadia, which is great of course.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where in NE do you live? I know that Monaxlisa lives in ME, so do you live in MA, CT, VT, ME, NH, RI?

Anyway, for Boston. Do not plan to rent a car to tool around the city. I repeat, do not rent a car. Use mass transit.

In Boston, walk the Freedom Trail. This is a must. On the walk, you will get to the Old North Church, Paul Revere's house (he outlived 2 wives - 1 had 10 kids and the other had 6 or something like that). The ceilings are a hoot. Eat in the Italian North End. Eat at different places, one for antipasta, one for dessert, one with homemade wine, etc.

See Harvard. You must go to the museum that has the glass flowers. I forget the name but I will never forget the beauty of the flowers.

Faneiul Hall and Haymarket Square are great. The new waterfront places are pretty. For a traditional NE dinner, eat at Anthony's Pier IV and order the shore dinner. I don't know if the No Name Seafood restaurant is still there but it is the opposite of Anthony's and an experience.

For upscale shopping go to Chestnut Hill Mall.

If and when you go to Salem, think about Nathaniel Hawthorne who made the place really famous. For a wealthy port/community, there is Marlborough. For authenticity, go to Gloucester and find out about the fisherman.

And pronounce these towns like this Gloucestor - Glasta; Leominster - Lemonstir; and Worcestershire - Woosta.

Have a great time with your Mom!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oh my gosh! I wish I was visiting you! I'd be finding tickets for Fenway "Paaahhhk" immediately! (I'm a HUGE Sox fan!) I got to go to Fenway once in High School... I agree with not renting a car to explore Boston - we had free roam in HS (it was a school trip) so we walked everywhere in our groups of friends... Quincy Market is kind of cute and fun and then there's the swan boats... and you gotta have some wicked good clam "chowdah"

I would totally aspire to live in Boston, however, I am sooooo done with snow lol so as soon as I can move it will be south, towards the Carolina region

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
As butzie asked, where are you in New England? I live in southeastern Massachusetts and could give suggestions, but it really depends on where you are. When is she coming out? The time of year also makes a difference.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

And pronounce these towns like this Gloucestor - Glasta; Leominster - Lemonstir; and Worcestershire - Woosta.

Have a great time with your Mom!
HAHAHAH!
I've been here since november so when my boyfriend and i were driving around ide see signs and say 'wheres glue-ces-tor' 'wheres 'war-cest-er-shire'... "no megan its glaster and wooster"

So im right on the line of NH and MA i think im willing to go as far north as the white mountains... and i dont know what interesting south of boston. Shes coming out on the 30th so the weather should be pretty ok. Shes kinda picky with what she does. She may want to see harvard, and MAYBE faniuel hall. I loved it there. I want to take her to Newbury street but that may not be her thing.

She wants to look at ...towns? Thats why im thinking salem. i LOOOVED salem. and maybe Newbury port? but ive never been there... does anyone know what thats like?

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

See Harvard. You must go to the museum that has the glass flowers. I forget the name but I will never forget the beauty of the flowers.
That's in the Harvard Museum of Natural History, which is an interesting and different place to visit. The glass flowers are very cool, as are the other exhibits if you're into nature/science.

Another nice place to bring Mom is the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in Boston. Have fun!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My wife lived a long time in Pepperell, MA, the home of Colonel Prescott, who said, "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes."

She always takes the mass transit in, and has people walk the Freedom Trail. The Children's Science Museum is really good, too.

Go through the Big Dig, and visit your tax money.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

If and when you go to Salem, think about Nathaniel Hawthorne who made the place really famous. For a wealthy port/community, there is Marlborough. For authenticity, go to Gloucester and find out about the fisherman.

OK, as a native Salemite and New Englander (New Englandah), I have to correct you here. First, Marlborough is inland by at least 60 miles, and has no history of being a port.

Second, the correct pronunciations (and spellings) are: Gloucester = Glosta or Glawstah (If you say "glasta" people will look at you REALLY funny!); Leominster = Leminstah; and Worcester (the city, not the sauce) is actually pronounced Woosta. Or Woostah, with the "woo" part pronounced like the vowel sound in the word "wood."

Salem is great, do go to the House of Seven Gables but do NOT bother with " The Witch House," as that's a tourist trap. Boring, costs too much, learn too little for your dollar. The Witch Museum is cool, and there are Trolley Tours running every day. Visit this website for more info, and enjoy your visit!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

My wife lived a long time in Pepperell, MA, the home of Colonel Prescott, who said, "Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes."

She always takes the mass transit in, and has people walk the Freedom Trail. The Children's Science Museum is really good, too.

Go through the Big Dig, and visit your tax money.
Yeah, you mean the Big Boondoggle????