Trying to take care of a feral. NEED HELP!

katkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

Recently my cat-loving mom moved to a new apartment, and immediately found a feral cat sleeping on her porch. She's medium sized, and we have no idea how old. But she doesn't look too old to me.
Well, mom just can't resist feeding her and getting her a cat-house, so now she lives on the porch, at least part-time. She grew up on the streets, and we can't keep her from wondering off at night. But we're hoping she knows by now that she will always have food, water, and shelter, as well as wet food twice a day on our porch. Unfortunately, she is so shy and scared that she won't let anyone near her. I'm afraid she won't ever be socialized. I'm afraid she won't ever let a human near her. But mom is happy just feeding her and taking care of her.

One distressing thing mom noticed yesterday was a cut behind her ear and another one on her back. mom says there's dried blood around both cuts. we have no idea how or where she got them, and there is no chance of us cleaning them for her or putting medicine on them. We're both worried. Will she be okay? She's eating and sleeping fine. Is there anything to keep her from wondering around? She has everything she needs there. I know she likes the house, she sleeps in it everyday. We just want to keep her safe, but she is just too afraid of humans. Please help!

Thank you.

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it amazes me how capable animals are of taking care of themselves. My parents take care of an outside cat and my mom said this past winter he must have gotten into a bad fight because it looked like (in her words) "his brain was falling out." Yuck! Well, I asked her about him the other day, and she said he's still around, seems fine. (did I mention they don't love cats?) BTW- I can't help because I don't live in the same state! Anyway, I say that to put you at ease. Because we all love cats on this board, we're quick to take the best care of them. But, when they have to fend for themselves, they can usually do a pretty good job of it.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is she spayed? Scratches and bite marks can occur from male cats trying to breed her. I would recommend getting a live trap and taking her in to a vet if she's not.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by whiteforest

Is she spayed? Scratches and bite marks can occur from male cats trying to breed her. I would recommend getting a live trap and taking her in to a vet if she's not.
You can look up on

http://www.pets911.com

to find a local shelter, a local rescue group, or use the yellow pages to find local vets. Many of these places will lend or rent a trap that she can use. This kitty really ought to be spayed or neutered in addition to getting whatever medical attention he/she needs.

If it is a male, the neuter will help stop the wandering AND stop the aggressiveness - in addition to preventing him from being able to father more unwanted kittens.
It will also likely stop any spraying for territory marking.

If it's a female, it will not only stop her from getting pregnant - but it will prevent her from getting hurt getting pregnant or from wandering around when in heat.

You can also use that link to find a low/cost place to do the spay/neuter if money is an issue. I don't know where your mom is located, but if you're in the LA area, it shouldn't be too hard to find a place.
If you need more links to search, we've got them.

Laurie

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it is an unspayed female, she will have kittens and bring them to you for food when she begins to wean them. Then your mom will have a litter of kittens to feed. This cycle will continue until they can no longer reproduce. I wish you the best in getting the cat help.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since she comes on the porch she should be easy to trap and spay or neuter. The more I read about it the more I become an advocate.
It is no life for a tiny kitten.

But good for your mother for providing some shelter and a safe place.