Valium for Cats?

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are moving across the country (2-day trip). I called the vet asking about sedatives, mostly for Chloe, just to make the experience less stressful on them. They have been on a 5-hour (1-way) road trip with me before and were fine, but this is so different from that.

At first they told me that they usually don't prescribe sedatives for car trips and that I could use Melatonin (over the counter) and put me on hold to get the dosage, and then the receptionist got back on the phone and told me that the vet was going to call in a Rx for Valium.

So is that pretty common for cats, as far as sedatives go? I just want them to be sleepy the whole way, for their sake. The road is going to be loud and they will be in carriers and won't be happy about that either. Also all the new places.....yikes. Should be interesting!

(I also have some At-Ease herbal spray for them that I am going to spray in the carriers. I have some Rescue Remedy somewhere, would that be helpful for this type of thing or is that a bad idea when they will have valium too?)

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got something from the vet for my cats (I forget what) when we moved across the country, and it was too much. Artemis was knocked out pretty far (could still stand up, but didn't much want to), and I was quite concerned. So, be careful with the dosage.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Be cautious with valium, recent studies show that it causes liver damage

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Be cautious with valium, recent studies show that it causes liver damage
Do you know if the liver damage was due to extended use of valium or even 2-days of it?

I am really worried about the dosage, the vet said the info would be on the bottle. Chloe only weighs about 6 lbs (and she's 8 months old). Maybe I will cut the dosage in half for each of them.

Poor babies

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting with a half dose is a good idea IMHO, you can always give more if the half dose isn't enough.

angryrectangle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My sister got a prescription sedative for my cat when she moved. Try a different vet?

Another suggestion is Aspirin. Look up the correct dosage amount on the internet first! It's completely safe (as far as I know) and will knock them out pretty good.

My kitty had a stroke a year or so ago and we had to give her a little bit of aspirin to help thin out her blood, and she slept for days.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by angryrectangle

My sister got a prescription sedative for my cat when she moved. Try a different vet?

Another suggestion is Aspirin. Look up the correct dosage amount on the internet first! It's completely safe (as far as I know) and will knock them out pretty good.

My kitty had a stroke a year or so ago and we had to give her a little bit of aspirin to help thin out her blood, and she slept for days.
actually, NSAIDs of all kinds are quite dangerous for cats. this would include aspirin.
Aspirin (ASA) is another one that should never be given without veterinary advice as it needs to be given in much smaller doses, and at much longer intervals to be safe for felines, and so prescription is reserved for special circumstances only.
from the website: CatHealth.com

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Valium is a pretty normal thing to be prescribed to cats that have to go on road trips! Start off with a half of a dose if a whole dose makes you uncomfortable, but its long term use that has damaging effects on their livers and kidneys usually! I dont think 2 days of use would be anything their systems couldn't clear out, especially if they're not being OD'd on it! Liver and kidney damage usually occur when an overedose is given instead of the prescribed dose. They will go by weight, and I would guess it would be a pretty low dose, maybe 1mg or so! The question is, do you trust your vet enough to make the decision to put your kitties on valium?? Maybe when they give you the RX they will put your mind at ease also! Let us know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update on how the trip went:

We ended up not using the Valium. My SO did his own research and said the came up with the same thing about liver damage. Apparently there is just a small percentage of cats that are affected by it in that way, but we didn't want to risk it if we didn't have to.

They were ok without it. Freaked out, but ok.

church11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i think you made the right discion iv been on valium my self and i rember how it made me feel. i would be scared of it doing the same to the cat.