Ox is declining in health-signs of senior decline?

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the past couple of months Ox has lost more weight. He is now about six pounds-I weighed him Jan or Feb and he was either at 7 of 7.5 pounds.

He is just bony. Fur is matted quite a bit-he only lets he work on the mats for about 5 minutes them gets wiggly. Appetite is down, he even walks slower.
He still sleeps part of the day in the garage but I've added a thick cushion under his blankets. He has been sleeping on the rug in front of the sink alot.
Appetite is down too. I'm wondering that he is nearing the end? He is over 19 now.

I was thinking of buying some good quality wet food perhaps?? But I don't know what kind. I'm afraid to take to vet as it is always so traumatic to him and do not want to stress him out.

What else can do to make him more comfortable?? (so while I'm typing this he came upstairs and I gave him a treat of potato chips
)

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd do a senior blood panel. I know taking him to the vet stresses him out, but if it's something like CRF you can do something for it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'd do a senior blood panel. I know taking him to the vet stresses him out, but if it's something like CRF you can do something for it.
DITTO ... cant tell you how GRATEFUL I was to get that and be told what the ISSUE was ...

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any vets that can do house calls for a blood draw? I think that it would be worthwhile to find out if he's CRF (I'm guessing, probably.) You might want to invest in a heating pad, as older kitties are often cold, even in warm weather. I got THIS ONE from http://www.drsfostersmith.com/, for Samson, when he was diagnosed with CRF. He used it daily, summer and winter, for the last four+ years of his life. It was probably one of the best investments I've ever made!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the clinic I go to has I think about 6-7 vets and one does live about 3-4 miles down the same road our house is on. He does mainly large animals now but I think I could get him to stop by.
I was pondering about a heating pad type thing to.