Horoscopes

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
***Mods please move this if it's in the wrong place***

Do you believe in what horoscopes say? (I'm talking in magazines, in the newspapers etc etc)

Personally I don't believe in any of it.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Horoscopes are fun to look at...but I don't believe in it either

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in them, but sometimes they're weirdly right.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah it's all generalized so much that people can usually find a meaning if they want to. I don't believe any of that junk, but yes, it is funny to read sometimes. I like to read them AFTEr the event
Then I can laugh about how I didn't fall in love today with a tall dark stranger, or make that all important breakthrough at work, etc, etc.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The classic explanation for why we feel astrology has a degree of accuracy is that we all possess the full range of human characteristics in varying degrees, so any sufficiently vague sign description can seem to make sense to us. And horoscopes are usually even more vague than the sign descriptions -- "Be wary of those who would like to see you fail today," "Use your best judgment when taking financial risks this week." Sheesh!

Here's the thing that sets us up, I think: Astrology is so pervasive that most people are exposed to it at a very young age, and therefore it does have a powerful influence over us -- but an influence of a perfectly terrestrial kind. I submit two youth-based theories:

(1) We're so young when we learn about astrology that we don't yet have the intellectual capacity to approach it with the healthy skepticism we should apply to any unproven belief system. Therefore, we tend to initially accept it -- and by the time we realize how suspect it really is, we've already had enough "gosh that sure sounds accurate" experiences (see "classic explanation" above) that it seems to have shown some validity... so we don't shake off our initial belief as easily as we probably should.

(2) We learn very early on about the characteristics traditionally associated with our "signs" -- and our very awareness that we supposedly possess those qualities causes them to become emphasized in us as we develop. We take some sort of odd satisfaction and comfort in living up to the description of the stubborn Taurus or the hot-tempered Scorpio... and astrology thereby becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

That's what I think, anyway... and I think a lot, because I'm an Aquarius.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really, no. They are fun to laugh at. Generally the broad description leans more towards what society would consider "normal", so I usually do not fit at all.

I do sort of think that I fit most of the Aries description and didn't really read anything about that till age 22 or so? Couldn't be bothered to read much before that.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

You do think a lot, and sometimes have some very detail oriented posts. I looked back on the personality type thread I started a while back and you never posted!

I'm curious! Take it, if you can, please? And anyone else that hasn't yet, or has joined since then can take it, too.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155262

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope - used to read them for fun. But I have no real interest. I don't live my life according to what is said in horoscopes

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't believe in horoscopes, to me the whole idea is ridiculous. Also, should we believe the Western or the Chinese version? I'm Virgo in the first and Monkey in the latter, signs with some pretty confilcting characteristics.

BTW, in a paper I used to work to, the horoscopes were written by us giggling journalists. Talk about scientific approach.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

We take some sort of odd satisfaction and comfort in living up to the description of the stubborn Taurus or the hot-tempered Scorpio... and astrology thereby becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

my mom is a Taurus - & she's not unusually stubborn. my sister is a Scorpio, & she is a bit hot-tempered [IMO] but she's far more stubborn than my mom - as am i, a Pisces.
btw - i 2nd the recommendation that you take the personality quiz - i have a feeling you're an NT!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uhoh... now I'm under scrutiny. That'll teach me to spout my theories in public!

Okay, heading over to take that test right now!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

No, I do not believe in it. But sometimes I'll read my horoscope in the paper just for fun.

How can everyone born in the same month have similar characteristics?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

dont belive in them, but find it amusing when they are right
Yeah.

They are amusing, just like Fortune Cookies, and it is fun when coincidentally they turn out to be correct. My favorite was a Fortune Cookie my husband got when we went to eat Chinese when Jenny was 1 1/2 months. The grandmas were with us. DH had just read his fortune cookie which said that good things would be coming up for him soon. He then started burping Jenny on his shoulder and she threw up all over his back!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever we have Chinese takeout they always put too many cookies in the bag - so I'll end up sitting there opening five or six of them.
Last time I got one (and I saved it cause it was funny) that said "It's over your head now. Time to get some professional help"...

Originally Posted by Trouts mom

How can everyone born in the same month have similar characteristics?
Actually there's suppose to be quite a bit more to it then just your star sign.
For example, what year, day, and time were you born?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule

***Mods please move this if it's in the wrong place***

Do you believe in what horoscopes say? (I'm talking in magazines, in the newspapers etc etc)

Personally I don't believe in any of it.
Nope. How can you put faith in a blurb that applies to 10's of thousands of other people around the world?! It's not like I'm the only Pisces on the face of the planet,