So now I have a bit of experience with exotics.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, on Friday I went to Calgary to see a concert featuring 4 bands: Three, Between the Buried and Me, Opeth, and Dream Theater. Me and my friend I went with decided to stay for a few days and on Saturday, we went to the zoo. While we were there, we met up with my cousin who works at the zoo. He works with the tigers at the zoo and as soon as we got to the tigers, it was feeding time and my cousin let me feed them. And as if that wasn't enough, a bit later after the tigers had eaten, he let me spend some time with them in their cage (under close supervision of course). Since all the tigers there were raised in captivity and are used to being around people, I wasn't in too much danger but they still have instincts.

As soon as I walked into the cage, I was greeted by a 410 pound Siberian tiger
. He just walked over to me, sniffed me, and then started rubbing up against me just like a domestic cat. I was in there for close to half an hour with 4 huge tigers just laying next to me
. It was absolutely incredible. So now along with a cougar, I'm also definitely going to adopt a tiger when I am prepared enough and can take care of them properly.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No fair! Those bands won't come anywhere remotely near this state.
DT and Opeth always put on good shows, how was Three?

When you went home, were your own cats sniffing around you with that look on their faces that says "You've been with another cat!"?

I'm sort of surprised your cousin was able to let you in with the tiger - unless he got the OK for that.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(a) That is fabulous! I so envy you being among a group of tigers... the most beautiful of all earth's beautiful creatures!

(b) The risk you took is mind-boggling, and your cousin is crazy!

(c) You're going to ADOPT a TIGER? Crazy must run in your family!

(d) When your title said "exotics," I assumed you meant those round-eyed short-haired British kittycats...

Very glad you came out of that enclosure in one piece... I'm sure that's an experience you'll treasure for the rest of your life. WOW!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so envious! Yes, I would get into the cage with them in a heartbeat. I met some folks from Florida some years ago that had a lion. I wanted so badly to get in the cage with him but they wouldn't let me.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the Tigers Chuff at you?? I love when they do that. My friend's tiger always Chuffs when I come to see him. That is such a cute sound coming from such a big cat.
I'm sort of surprised your cousin was able to let you in with the tiger - unless he got the OK for that
I think this Zoo was in Canada. If that was in the USA, they would have been in direct violation of the USDA.
The risk you took is mind-boggling, and your cousin is crazy!
Yes, there was some risk. However, these tigers were raised with and around people, so that makes a HUGE difference. Many Zoos have tigers that are very close to being wild and have very little contact with people. Just as with my friend's tiger Rowdy, he was born and raised with people and is a big baby. Everytime Rowdy sees his owner, he just talks and talks.

You're going to ADOPT a TIGER? Crazy must run in your family!
No not crazy. Just a love for the big cats just like me
I would love to have a tiger, but with the bobcats and cougar, I have enough mouths to feed
However, I would love to adopt Rowdy

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! My bf is going to see that same concert this Friday! Dream Theater is his favorite band.

I'm so jealous of your playing with the tigers! That must have been quite an experience. I've been close to some big cats, but never that close!

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I am so envious! Yes, I would get into the cage with them in a heartbeat. I met some folks from Florida some years ago that had a lion. I wanted so badly to get in the cage with him but they wouldn't let me.
I'd LOVE to get up close and personal with a big cat... let alone 4!!! Sign me up! Do you have pictures?! We'd love to see them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

No fair! Those bands won't come anywhere remotely near this state.
DT and Opeth always put on good shows, how was Three?
Three was much better than I expected. I was so impressed by them I actually bought both of their albums after the concert. And as always, DT and Opeth were amazing. Mikael Ã…kerfeldt was hilarious. He always cracks jokes.

When you went home, were your own cats sniffing around you with that look on their faces that says "You've been with another cat!"?
A little bit yeah. It was pretty funny to see them all puffed up and looking for the intruder.

I'm sort of surprised your cousin was able to let you in with the tiger - unless he got the OK for that.
Well he's been working with them for 9 years so no one in the zoo knows the tigers better than he does.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

(a) That is fabulous! I so envy you being among a group of tigers... the most beautiful of all earth's beautiful creatures!
Yes they are very beautiful creatures. But there's nothing like seeing them up close and in person.

(b) The risk you took is mind-boggling, and your cousin is crazy!
Well it's not as risky as you think. Obviously there is still a bit of danger but as long as you respect them and don't do anything to make them annoyed or angry, there's really not much to worry about.

(c) You're going to ADOPT a TIGER? Crazy must run in your family!
It's not that crazy. I just love them, that's all.

Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Did the Tigers Chuff at you?? I love when they do that. My friend's tiger always Chuffs when I come to see him. That is such a cute sound coming from such a big cat.
Yeah they did. I've never heard them do that before. At first I was just looking around trying to figure out what make that sound.

I think this Zoo was in Canada. If that was in the USA, they would have been in direct violation of the USDA.
Yeah the zoo was in Canada so as far as I know, I didn't do anything that bad.

Yes, there was some risk. However, these tigers were raised with and around people, so that makes a HUGE difference. Many Zoos have tigers that are very close to being wild and have very little contact with people. Just as with my friend's tiger Rowdy, he was born and raised with people and is a big baby. Everytime Rowdy sees his owner, he just talks and talks.
Yep. If these tigers had not been raised in captivity and around people, I wouldn't have even though of getting into a cage with them.

I would love to have a tiger, but with the bobcats and cougar, I have enough mouths to feed
However, I would love to adopt Rowdy
Yeah you have a few very large mouths to feed. I could see how a tiger would be a bit too much.

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Wow! My bf is going to see that same concert this Friday! Dream Theater is his favorite band.
Dream Theater is my favorite band too. He will probably also like Three. Their music is a different style but it is still very good.

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm so jealous of your playing with the tigers! That must have been quite an experience. I've been close to some big cats, but never that close!
It was a wonderful experience. Hopefully I'll be able to do it again next time I go to Calgary.

Spending some time with tigers and seeing my favorite band all in the same weekend. That was the best weekend I've ever had.

Originally Posted by twstychik

I'd LOVE to get up close and personal with a big cat... let alone 4!!! Sign me up! Do you have pictures?! We'd love to see them.
I have a few pictures. My friend took them with his phone so I am just waiting for him to upload them and send them to me. I'll get them up as soon as i can.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

Three was much better than I expected. I was so impressed by them I actually bought both of their albums after the concert. And as always, DT and Opeth were amazing. Mikael Ã…kerfeldt was hilarious. He always cracks jokes.
Had you not heard Three before the show? Ironically I linked to their All That Remains video on here the other day - and probably before in other threads. The End Is Begun album is just one of those that won't get out of my head.
There's quite a few of their vids on youtube (which you probably already checked out), including some from their Wake Pig album - which is also great.

I love prog, and prog death but Opeth kind of loses me
I prefer Ã…kerfeldt in Bloodbath
If you haven't heard them before, the whole Resurrection Through Carnage album is up on youtube.

Any future plans to hang out with the tigers again? And get pictures?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ah, but there are big cats and there are BIG CATS!
But actually, I'm sure any one of your kitties could shred me just about as fast as a tiger could.

I love 'em, too, and I do understand the desire to be close to them... I guess I'm just a scaredycat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Had you not heard Three before the show? Ironically I linked to their All That Remains video on here the other day - and probably before in other threads. The End Is Begun album is just one of those that won't get out of my head.
There's quite a few of their vids on youtube (which you probably already checked out), including some from their Wake Pig album - which is also great.

I love prog, and prog death but Opeth kind of loses me
I prefer Ã…kerfeldt in Bloodbath
If you haven't heard them before, the whole Resurrection Through Carnage album is up on youtube.

Any future plans to hang out with the tigers again? And get pictures?
Yeah I had heard Three a couple times before but only 2 songs.

And I also think Ã…kerfeldt is better in Bloodbath but still Opeth does have a few songs that I just can't get over such as Hours of Wealth and Ghost of Perdition.

Ah, but there are big cats and there are BIG CATS!
But actually, I'm sure any one of your kitties could shred me just about as fast as a tiger could.

I love 'em, too, and I do understand the desire to be close to them... I guess I'm just a scaredycat.
There are big cats and then there are BIG CATS and then there are also BIG CATS that can be as loving as any domestic cat. I don't think it's the cats themselves that you are afraid of, I think it's more their reputation. They are known by many to just be giant, unstoppable killing machines. But there's much more to them than that.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TigerOnTheProwl

I don't think it's the cats themselves that you are afraid of
I am more afraid of PEOPLE than I am of any big cat. I can trust, understand and read these cats, but most people (not all) you can never trust.