Please Help about my pregnant cat

junebug88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my boy cat fixed on March 11, 2008. I have a girl cat that is 9 years old and must have gotten preganant before then. I have noticed since May the 8 that she has been having a discharge and I was wondering if that is normal and maybe it is getting time for her to have her kittens.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was she in heat that you know of before (and up to a month after) your boy got neutered?

What color is the discharge? Is she nesting at all, looking for a place to deliver or is she off her food and normal activities at all?

(Off-topic) I am a Jr. Fan too!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You better hope that she has had a litter before now. A first time litter on a 9 year old cat can be fatal. Take her to the vet and see what they say.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junebug88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think she was in heat before he got fix but after I am not sure. She has been eating alot more today. She lays around alot she's not really nesting I don't guess. The color of her discharge is like a yellowish whitish color I think.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be very concerned. Pyometra looks a lot like a pregnancy at first, until the cat suffers and dies. Please take her to the vet and have them spay her. This is SO dangerous. If she isn't pregnant she probably has pyometra which is fatal. A 9 year old cat should not be reproducing and should be spayed so she doesn't suffer with Pyo.

What Pyo is is when the uterus gets so badly infected due to the build up of pus each time the cat goes into heat. It builds up to the point where it bursts and the cats is full of infection and it kills her.

This is serious. I would take her to the vet asap and spay her as that is the only way to treat Pyo.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Normally, yellowish-white vaginal discharge is composed of cervical mucus, discarded cells and harmless bacteria that are normally present in the vagina. Yellowish-White discharge is considered normal if it remains yellowish-white and is only a small amount. If there is change in color, amount, or if you begin to notice an odor, a vet visit would be needed to ensure that there isn't a problem.

A green-yellow discharge means infection and would need to be treated by a vet. This could potentially mean pyometra, an infection in the uterus which can be fatal if not treated. If your girl begins acting lethargic, stops eating, or in any other way, seems somehow just "not quite right", then you should get her in to see her vet.

Just in case, have you provided your girl with a safe place to deliver? If you haven't already, please take a moment to read this article in the event you are expecting kittens.

junebug88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But with the discharge do you know when she might have them? Is it bad that she is 9 years old and never had any kittens?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Junebug88

But with the discharge do you know when she might have them? Is it bad that she is 9 years old and never had any kittens?
The problem is that she might be pregnant or she might have Pyometra, which can both be deadly since she is older and never had kittens before. I would have her to the vet asap and honestly I would spay her. It is just MUCH too risky to let her go through with the pregnancy IMO. And if it is pyo it will either kill or she will have to be spayed to treat it anyways. Spaying is the best thing you can do right now. a 9 year old who never had a litter should not be having her first now.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Junebug88

Not knowing when she was bred, it is difficult at best to determine when the kittens, if there are any, will come.

Cats can still safely have kittens at 9 years old, however, it normally isn't recommended for a first litter. Breeders will usually have their queens spayed before that age, but if she is in otherwise good health, my guess is that she will be fine.

Cats are individuals. If you are nervous or concerned about this, my best advise is to consult with your vet.

Let me ask you a couple more questions ...

Has she changed in body shape? Does she ~look~ pregnant to you? How about her mammary glands ... are the nipples a darker pink and maybe more pronounced than normal? Have you noticed any movement in utero of kittens?

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If a cat/dog isn't bred before a certain age their pelvis fuses and makes it almost impossible for the babies to pass through the birth canal. Be prepared for her to need a c-section or have a very very hard time delivering. My grandmothers 9 year old dog had her first litter at that age and almost died from it all the puppies ended up dying. Just wondering why was your cat not spayed before now?

junebug88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah she has gotten bigger her belly is big. Yeah she does look pregnant. Her nipples look a little pink. I don't really notice any movement but I have felt like some hard little knots in her belly that will move.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she's never had kittens before 9 years old, she could have a LOT of problems. Please have a vet look at her now - don't wait. BTW a male cat can still get a female pregnant up to 2 months from when he's neutered!

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If she's never had kittens before 9 years old, she could have a LOT of problems. Please have a vet look at her now - don't wait. BTW a male cat can still get a female pregnant up to 2 months from when he's neutered!
Yikes. Did not know that!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice to offer, but I agree with the others: if you're not sure of what to do or if whether or not she's pregnant, you should get her to the vet ASAP. That's the only way to know for sure...

I hope she'll be okay! Good luck!

~KK~