Tax question

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A friend of mine is non-US-citizen and he's asking if he saves his receipts from Tom Thumb, Kroger, etc... can he get a refund for the tax on the sales?

For instance, if he paid $100 including tax (about $8 tax) would he get $8 if he shows the receipt?

If yes, where can he do it (get the refund), and are there any other requirements? Appreciate your answers if you know something and thank you!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

You can normally claim that only if you do a regular income tax return. By itself, there is really no way because you have nothing to base it on.
I think what he's asking is if there is any place where they would refund the entire amount of sales tax paid. I guess the thinking is that since he is a non-US citizen he shouldn't have to pay sales tax? I've paid sales taxes in other countries, and to my knowledge, nobody refunds that. I could be wrong, but if I am, please tell me which country that is...that's where I'll go!

I don't think you can even write sales tax off on your tax return either, except for expenses incurred for business, etc. Regular food tax (which this sounds like?), cannot. So if that is what you're asking (arie85), the answer is still no.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
There isn't anything like the VAT refunds for tourists from European countries or Canada. The idea is that they don't tax exports.

About the only thing I found was some information on Louisiana.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

I don't think you can even write sales tax off on your tax return either, except for expenses incurred for business, etc. Regular food tax (which this sounds like?), cannot. So if that is what you're asking (arie85), the answer is still no.
actually, i think you can... i know when i did mine this year, one of the questions related to sales taxes... but since i needed receipts, & didn't have any, i didn't attempt to write any off.
here's the info:

You can elect to deduct state and local GENERAL SALES TAXES instead of state and local INCOME TAXES as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040). You cannot deduct both. To figure your state and local general sales tax deduction, you can use either your actual expenses or the state sales tax tables.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

There isn't anything like the VAT refunds for tourists from European countries or Canada. The idea is that they don't tax exports.

About the only thing I found was some information on Louisiana.
I don't know what store Tom Thumb is, but Kroger is a grocery store. I don't think anything like that would be covered, though, would it?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

actually, i think you can... i know when i did mine this year, one of the questions related to sales taxes... but since i needed receipts, & didn't have any, i didn't attempt to write any off.
here's the info:

You can elect to deduct state and local GENERAL SALES TAXES instead of state and local INCOME TAXES as an itemized deduction on Schedule A (Form 1040). You cannot deduct both. To figure your state and local general sales tax deduction, you can use either your actual expenses or the state sales tax tables.
Huh, interesting. I've never heard of that.

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For a non us citizen...hmmm not sure. I know we can if we visit canada!

For a citizen...NO, you can't write off your sales tax paid UNLESS you own a retail outlet in which you purchases items on non resale. This goes on the retailer's sales tax return (here in Cali it's the State Board of Equalization) and it reduces their total amount due on their return.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by oOoMissEoOo

For a non us citizen...hmmm not sure. I know we can if we visit canada!

For a citizen...NO, you can't write off your sales tax paid UNLESS you own a retail outlet in which you purchases items on non resale. This goes on the retailer's sales tax return (here in Cali it's the State Board of Equalization) and it reduces their total amount due on their return.
it may be a state specific thing. does California have a state income tax?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Not true. I've never seen that store in my life and I live in Central Texas.
mostly i've seen them in the bigger cities... none in Denton, but there's one in Southlake [which isn't necessarily larger, but it's closer to the metroplex]. they are all over the Dallas area - when i lived in Addison/Farmers Branch area, that's where i usually shopped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Not true. I've never seen that store in my life and I live in Central Texas.
Dallas
Plano
Frisco
San Antonio
Mesquite
Denton

I've been in all those places and I can count with my fingers the # of stores they have there just at the entrance to each city

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

Denton

I've been in all those places and I can count with my fingers the # of stores they have there just at the entrance to each city
ummm... i shop in Denton - i've lived in this general area for 35+ years. i graduated from both high school & college in Denton. i've never seen a Tom Thumb here.
where did you see it? [roads, intersections, etc.]

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

ummm... i shop in Denton - i've lived in this general area for 35+ years. i graduated from both high school & college in Denton. i've never seen a Tom Thumb here.
where did you see it? [roads, intersections, etc.]
hahaha....

Well by the UPS center if you cross Royal and turn left in the traffic light (I dont remember exactly the entire way) - I think it's Denton or maybe a part of Dallas, or maybe it's in "both"

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've just checked google and it's my bad. Stemmons FWY from Royal does take you to Dallas and to Tom Thumb but it's on Dallas and not in Denton, my bad

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

I've just checked google and it's my bad. Stemmons FWY from Royal does take you to Dallas and to Tom Thumb but it's on Dallas and not in Denton, my bad
i was going to say we don't even HAVE a Royal in Denton!
not to mention, up here it's not Stemmons anymore - it's called 35.