Cat jealousy

redlir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I read the behavior sticky, but I don't think any of those situations apply. Let me explain, and please read the whole post before jumping to conclusions as to what the issue is. It takes a bit of a twist at the end.

I have 2 cats, 1 male, 1 female. They are 4 years old and have grown up together. The male cat is a standard tabby, and the female is a half Siamese and half rag doll. They are both fixed. Normally, they are very loving toward each other, sometimes they do rough house, but it passes very quickly and it's clear they are playing.

I had my girlfriend over and we were making love. During the heat of the moment so to speak, the male cat came into the room and attacked my leg with his claws and began to howl. The female cat had followed him into the room, and I scared them off with a loud yell and a clap.

I have known my girlfriend for many years, and he has never done this before. The only other time he has attacked me, was when I gave the female cat a bath, and he reacted to her meowing in distress. In both cases I assumed he was defending them which seemed to make sense and I can understand.

Now the twist. Shortly after I scared them off, I heard howling and a scuffle in the living room. I got up and the female cat had the male cat scared and pinned in a corner. She was growling, hissing and just plain angry! Jumping at him with all claws until he hid. I've never seen her like this. Normally when they rough house he is the very dominant one and ends the 'playing'.

Now unfortunately, it's been 3 days and it hasn't stopped. Anytime she see's him she growls, hisses and charges after him like crazy. It's not pleasant and I need to understand what's going on.

I have separated them during the day and during the night, keeping the female cat in my room with a second litter box etc. If either my girlfriend, or me go in there she is perfectly fine. Very normal, sucky, she sleeps curled up with me. But again, if she even see's the male cat.. she starts growling and gets tense. She doesn't seem sick or ill and it definitely seems triggered by one specific incident.

Could this be jealousy? At first I thought it may be because he defended my girlfriend ( another woman!). But could she be jealous that he attacked me? Is it possible he attacked her and we didn't see it, and now she is permanently scared of him and attacks?

What can I do!?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't call it jealousy. I have seen cats attack each other when one of them attacked a human. You are the caregiver and heaven forbid something happen to you.

If you want to make it right, look at the sticky on introducing new cats. Even though yours have been together for many years, sometimes you just have to step back and start over again. I would suggest the vanilla extract trick: get them to smell like each other by putting a comment scent on both of them.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redlir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I wouldn't call it jealousy. I have seen cats attack each other when one of them attacked a human. You are the caregiver and heaven forbid something happen to you.

If you want to make it right, look at the sticky on introducing new cats. Even though yours have been together for many years, sometimes you just have to step back and start over again. I would suggest the vanilla extract trick: get them to smell like each other by putting a comment scent on both of them.

Good luck!
Thanks for the feedback Momofmany. Tonight I took a warm damp rag and wiped it around 'troubles' (the male) cheek area and wiped it on 'chloe's cheek area and vice versa. I then put a common scent on the top of their tales, spine and kneck.

I let chloe out of the room, and she noticed trouble on his perch.. there was an initial pause and huff but she quickly started touring around the place, looking for something.. 10 minutes later she was actually dropping the stuffed mouse at my feet to play fetch, which we did for about 20 minutes.

There was a rough moment when trouble came off his perch and chloe came at him with a growl, but I stuck my hand out and she stopped, and calmed down after about 2 minutes. They sat about 2 feet from each other staring for most of the night. Chloe got about 2 inches from him at one point, made a few sniffs, and then let out a little growl and backed off to the 2 foot marker again.... it's not perfect but at least it's progress.

I guess I should still keep them separated during the day and night when I can't monitor them, and keep trying this technique.. hopefully she'll come around fully at some point.

It's very sad to see 2 best friends, at each other like that. I hope this works.

Thanks again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redlir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just figured I'd follow up on this. I kept the cats separated for 4 days, tried vanilla but it didn't really work. I bought some synthetic feliway type stuff and that didn't seem to help really. I was told to get the 'real' thing though which was going to be the next step, but as I'm in Canada, we can't get it quite as easily apparently.

Anyhoo, I decided to try something backwards to calming them. I went to the pet store and bought some Hagan catnip aerosol and a stuffed mouse that they like to play with. I came home and sprayed the mouse with catnip and put it in the room with Chloe and let her rub herself up with a bit. I then went out to the other room and sprayed catnip into the carpet at random spots. I let Chloe out of the room, and both cats went into immediate play mode. There has been a couple of hisses randomly when the male cat surprises her, but for the most part they are friends again. They can walk by each other, they are cleaning each other and chasing each other in a friendly way again. Chloe even jumped on the couch where trouble was sleeping and started cleaning him which was really surprising, since it's usually him who initiates it.

Anyway, after 2 weeks it looks like we're finally out of the woods. What a relief!