Sick Kitten

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kittens are acting happy and healthy, however one of them had fresh (red) blood in their stool. although i have 2 litter boxes they both use the same one. I called the emergency vet, and they suggested i watch them to see if i can figure out which one it was. I had a vet appointment Tuesday to get their shots although they were seen last week for a deworming and checkup. i am worried... and they seem to be oblivious that anything might be wrong and neither is acting sluggish or sick. their stools were both a little watery but they have primarily been eating wet food... i keep the dry out but they prefer the wet. I have been feeding them Authority Dry food and Nutro Max and Nutro Natural Choice... I really can't sleep now... i wonder if anyone has any idea what might have caused this... they have been with me for about 5 days now...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Blood in the stools can be caused by stress, change of food, & a lot of other things.

It's nothing to flip out about unless it is really bad (like mostly blood/mucus, very little actual stool). I suggest calling ahead to your vet to notify them. Ask if they would be able to run a fecal sample on the kittens.

When Izzy (the dog) was at the vet to be spayed, I noticed TigerLily (the cat) had slightly bloody stool from the stress of her puppy pal being gone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you whitecatlover... because it is Sunday and this happened between 9pm and 11pm i couldn't get the vet ... it wasnt mostly blood mucous... it was just enough to make my heart stop... lol, it took the emergency vet to talk sense into me about bringing both kittens in for an emergency visit ... i did kind of change their diet with the wet food i think... and there is a new environment to get used to even though i thought they were warming up to everything... well one of the kittens was at home immediately! lol, i am a bit paranoid by nature... one kitten just made a bm and it was fine... the other one hasn't ... but i am going to call the vet to see if i can bring them in first thing tomorrow morning...

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Blood in the stools can be caused by stress, change of food, & a lot of other things.

It's nothing to flip out about unless it is really bad (like mostly blood/mucus, very little actual stool). I suggest calling ahead to your vet to notify them. Ask if they would be able to run a fecal sample on the kittens.

When Izzy (the dog) was at the vet to be spayed, I noticed TigerLily (the cat) had slightly bloody stool from the stress of her puppy pal being gone.
Thanks White Cat Lover! the vet did a fecal, and they are doing pretty good... she thinks that it was the food .... possibly rough on their tummies... since they were used to authority dry, but the nutro wet which they loved the taste of did a number on them... she felt they were well enough to be vaccinated and we are going back tomorrow to do that!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
goodness i'm glad it wasn't anything bad when I saw the title of this tread and that it was by you my heart stopped! I'm glad they are both healthy and adjusting. Is Marianne starting to come around?

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Marianne is doing pretty good she is superr affectionate with me... and is warming up to Joey... lol, and doesn't run from the Bubba anymore!

i am taking them both to another vet on wednesday because i am not sure i am completely satisfied with the vet that i took them to last week... and i think i can get them both better care...

Marianne is so sweet she snuggles up to me when she is tired!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Suggest you buy this book:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...764541501.html

It is a lifesaver when you deal with kitties. Blood in the stool IS something to be concerned with in kittens. It can indicate a parasite infection, or something else. Depends on the color of the stool and how much blood is seen. Always good to get it checked out-

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Suggest you buy this book:

http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...764541501.html

It is a lifesaver when you deal with kitties. Blood in the stool IS something to be concerned with in kittens. It can indicate a parasite infection, or something else. Depends on the color of the stool and how much blood is seen. Always good to get it checked out-
i just purchased the book this past weekend... lol, and i am going back for cats for dummies this upcoming weekend...

Thank you everyone for the responses i am taking them to a different vet tomorrow, i figured their vet care was worth investing in and i don't want their to be anything wrong and i don't find out until later (excuse the poor grammar it has been a long night!)

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope it goes well at the new vet. I just can't get over what a great home I found for my kitties.
Do you have a digital camera? I would love to see pictures of them as they grow up.

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
lol, i am in school to be a lawyer so kids are a long ways off for me! so my animals are my babies... i made the long ways back to my old vet! lol, i feel like the babies were much better taken care of this time! she gave me eye ointment for ginger ... and took really good care of Marianne... she suspects that possibly the wormer that the old vet gave us was corrupted or not active either way she is going to see us back on Monday... Marianne looked a lot better this morning... her nose wasn't as pale... and i love my vet! she shared my concern about their ears ... gave me information... and just reassured me that they were doing fine... and that she wasn't going to blow it off if i had a concern!

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh and we do have a digital camera... the babies don't look that great right now with antibiotic gook in their eyes... but i will try to post pics soon! lol, as soon as i figure out how to add pics to posts on here... can i do it from my flickr account?

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep just right click the pictures and select properties and copy the url. I put all my pictures of flickr. I'm glad the babies are doing better. I didn't know they had eye problems.

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it was just a bacterial infection... the vet said it is really common and it wasn't really that bad... i just noticed ginger's eye kept crusting up... the other vet said it was nothing... my old vet gave me something to take care of it no extra charge ... and since i am doing all their vaccinations with her ... their spays are like $49 bucks each!

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow those are great prices! I'm glad you found a better vet. There is nothing better than a good vet who actually cares about your animals.