absess or something worse? (vibes please)

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was hoping i could maybe get some prayers and vibes sent for me, i feel just horrible. I woke up a few days ago with my gums on the top front hurting, the next day i had a canker sore and my face was swollen. Yesterday it was a HUGE bump on my gums, which i will spare you the details but it popped. I have had chills for two days now and felt just drained i dont feel like eating or even moving for that matter. My stomach and lower back are killing me. And am nousious (sp) I have been sleeping most of the day and layed down about an hour and a half ago again to sleep more thinking i would feel better i felt like i was freezing to death. But now i woke up having an ashma attach and am sweating till i look like i have been in the shower and cant think straight. I dont know if i feel this bad because of the absess on my gums or if its something else. But please if you can spare any vibes or info that might help i would appreciate it. My mom wants me to see the dr, but two weeks is the soonest they can get me in.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to call your doctor back and let them know how sick you are and that you need to get in NOW. If not, please go to urgent care - it sounds pretty like you need some antibiotics ASAP.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely need to see a doctor and very soon - if they can't fit you in then you head on to ER. You need some treatment as fast as you can get it - you can't live like this for two weeks while they figure out their butts from their elbows.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to get to a doctor much sooner than that! Infections in the mouth or ear are serious and need prompt treatment or they can spread to the brain.

If your doctor can't see you, go to a walk in clinic or if there are no walk in clinics, go to the emergency room.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to go to the ER, this is not something that can wait due to the symptoms you are having now.

I just had an uncle finally get out of the hospital - last week they found him unconscious on the floor in shock/coma. He spent several days in ICU due to the infection getting into his system and his organs trying to shut down.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
...any updated?...

Late but I send you a good vibes....

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

You definitely need to see a doctor and very soon - if they can't fit you in then you head on to ER. You need some treatment as fast as you can get it - you can't live like this for two weeks while they figure out their butts from their elbows.

If it is some kind of infection (which it sounds like it is) you need immediate care! An infection will spread to other places, and can lead to something serious or even fatal. Please get to a doctor NOW!

I hope you'll be okay!!

~KK~

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, I'm a guy, and even ***I*** would go to the doctor if I were in your condition. And my wife swears I only go when she has to take me in a wheelbarrow!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You need to go to the ER, this is not something that can wait due to the symptoms you are having now.

I just had an uncle finally get out of the hospital - last week they found him unconscious on the floor in shock/coma. He spent several days in ICU due to the infection getting into his system and his organs trying to shut down.
Originally Posted by pipersjo

You need to go to the hospital or ER NOW! Not trying to scare you, but as strange_wings said, it could have gone systemic. GO NOW!
Unfortunately the ER isn't going to do much more than maybe give some pain pills and send you off to the dentist. They won't even numb it for you.

I had TWO of these
s in the last year believe it or not. My family has really weak teeth. i've had most of mine replaced with fake ones. not dentures, these are screwed right into the jaw. But I have had numerous infections like this. I empathize with your pain big time.

The freezing cold is likely a fever, but You need to get help NOW. Personally I wouldn't even call the dentist. I'd go directly into the office and force them to help you. Did you know that if you can somehow talk directly to the dentist he can't refuse to work on you? it's in their oath, and it's why they're usually protected by lots of desk people i guess haha.

ANywya, if you absolutely can't get in, THEN go to the ER. but there is simply no substitute for the dentist in this case.

Then again, the ER might help you because you're clearly feverish. I've never had that part, just the pain. But i went to the ER 3 different times in the past when it was a weekend or I couldn't get the dentist, each time I was sent away and they couldn't even numb me because that's a special procedue the dentist does and a general physician doesn't know where the nerve is. At least that's what they told me.

Here's the sucky part. When you see the dentist, they're going to give you pain meds and antibiotics and send you home. You'll have to take the meds until the swelling goes down enough to work on it, as well as the sensitivity. But get it started right away. They gave me a z-pack thing that I took for 1 week i believe. but by the 4th day it was going down. it actually got worse the first 3.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Unfortunately the ER isn't going to do much more than maybe give some pain pills and send you off to the dentist. They won't even numb it for you.

I had TWO of these
s in the last year believe it or not. My family has really weak teeth. i've had most of mine replaced with fake ones. not dentures, these are screwed right into the jaw. But I have had numerous infections like this. I empathize with your pain big time.

The freezing cold is likely a fever, but You need to get help NOW. Personally I wouldn't even call the dentist. I'd go directly into the office and force them to help you. Did you know that if you can somehow talk directly to the dentist he can't refuse to work on you? it's in their oath, and it's why they're usually protected by lots of desk people i guess haha.

ANywya, if you absolutely can't get in, THEN go to the ER. but there is simply no substitute for the dentist in this case.

Then again, the ER might help you because you're clearly feverish. I've never had that part, just the pain. But i went to the ER 3 different times in the past when it was a weekend or I couldn't get the dentist, each time I was sent away and they couldn't even numb me because that's a special procedue the dentist does and a general physician doesn't know where the nerve is. At least that's what they told me.

Here's the sucky part. When you see the dentist, they're going to give you pain meds and antibiotics and send you home. You'll have to take the meds until the swelling goes down enough to work on it, as well as the sensitivity. But get it started right away. They gave me a z-pack thing that I took for 1 week i believe. but by the 4th day it was going down. it actually got worse the first 3.
Your talking about you having implants
I'm a dental assistant

The only thing a dentist will do is give you a big string of antibiotics and pain meds and send you home more than likely. They cannot do work on you until the infection is completely out of your body. HOPEFULLY the ER would give you antibiotics at least! Good luck and feel better soon!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lol yeah implants. But when I say that to people they think I have fake boobs

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

Of course they won't do dental work, that's not their specialty. However, her symptoms suggested that the infection has already spread. At that point it's IV antibiotics, a few hours stay -if not an overnight stay or longer.

If a hospital let you walk out and you're body was going into shock then it sounds like something that should have been reported.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ER will give antibiotics if there is an infection, but there isn't anything they can do about tooth pain except give you pain medicine and tell you to go see your dentist.

I had an abcess that came and went for over 2 years. Sometimes my gums swelled up got tender but it eventually popped and I felt fine. It kept festering though, and by the time I went to the ER it was because in a 2 hour period my left jaw swelled up and looked like a baseball, and it forced one of my teeth out. Yeah, I hate doctors, dentists, anyone that wears scrubs.

Anyway, my BF (now my DH) insisted I go to the emergency room. I had fever chills but I was just so happy that the tooth was gone and the swelling was going down. The problem was, I was swallowing all that fluid that drained from my gums....which is NOT good! They put me on strong antibiotics and actually made DH promise to make an appointment for me at the dentist the next day. Somehow he got me in but they had to wait for the antibiotics to clear up the infection.

The problem was, when they showed me the x-rays of my jaw my right jaw was basically healthy. My left jaw (where the infection was) was eaten down to almost a 1/4 of the mass it should have had. And, the infection didn't come from the tooth that was forced out (my canine)...that one was completely healthy. It came from the two molars that were next to it. It was a mess! I know they have to warn you that your jaw may be broken in the process of extracting teeth, but my dentist sat me down and said "There is a VERY good chance based on your bone mass on that side, that your jaw will be broken." Of course, I had to sign a waver because I just wanted them out! I had 5 teeth pulled that day...all molars.

And, yes an infection like that can go septic and get in your bloodstream...especially if you are stupid like me and swallow the puss that comes out. Gross, I know, but I also know I'm not the only one who has done that.

Sorry, I rambled. Please let us know how you're doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blondrebel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well i couldnt get into the dr office or the dentist today, i tried both, but i went to the ER. OMG they sucked. Two hours later i was finally "seen" if you can call it that. The dr walked in says "oh you got an infection huh?" "Does it hurt when you pee?" (im like WTH??, when i pee, the problem is in the other end!) He then looks in my mouth, listens to my chest and then lays me down on the table and prods at my lower stomach. He dont even give me a chance to explain anything, he starts out of the room and asks "when is the last time you did a home test?" i looked at him strange and was like HUH? He says "you know, home preg test?" I said that i hadnt but i have been spotting... he laughted and said "that dont mean
" and walked out the door. A few minutes later he comes back and says "i am gonna give you some medicine, but first take a home test, then start on the pills". And walks back out. 20 minutes later a nurse comes in with the pills in a cup and a handfull of paperwork. 2 antibiotics and a darvocet. I refused the darvocet because i had to drive, so she put the pills in a bottle and sent them with me. So i have to take cleocin 300mg 4 times a day and darvocet. I think its pointless but i bought a PT on the way home and will do it in the morning. I felt a little better most of the day but i am starting to feel crappy again. Plus i have to get up early and take my grandma to the eye dr. So i guess i am gonna hit the bed, but i thought i would update everyone before i did.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
vibes that you feel better soon!

Your Emergency room visit doesn't sound like it went very well. If you don't start to feel better, I would still try to visit your regular Dr.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pregnancy test is known as "lawsuit prevention." Any woman who CAN be pregnant is assumed to be pregnant and warned about any drugs that could cause problems for a fetus. Welcome to the world of doctors with lawyers camped out in the waiting room.