Quick question for UK members

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were watching Fawlty Towers earlier. For those in the know, it was the episode with the Germans, when Basil has to put up the Moose Head he bought.

Anyway, Cybil hates the Moose Head, which of course is sitting in the office, not hung up on the wall. She's complaining about it, and Basil says to the Moose, "got one of her cardies, did you?"

What is he referring to? I thought it meant she got a snag in her stockings from it (because they come on cards). Gary thinks it's referring to her getting a snag in her sweater (like a cardigan).

Is one of us right? Or is it something completely different?

Thanks!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It makes more sense - but my only problem with it is the moose antlers weren't tall enough to get at a sweater. Of course, accuracy is not a staple in sitcoms - even British ones.

Laurie

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And don't you LOVE that episode? Oh my gosh, when Basil starts goosestepping across the room... I've seen it a dozen times, but I still laugh so hard I can't catch my breath!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is a hilarious episode - not that they aren't all funny. When you refer to a person who wears 'cardies' it can often be a bit derogatory - sort of someone who doesn't pay any attention to fashion because they prefer to be comfortable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

And don't you LOVE that episode? Oh my gosh, when Basil starts goosestepping across the room... I've seen it a dozen times, but I still laugh so hard I can't catch my breath!
We love all of them. In fact, there's quite a few of the older BBC shows we love: Black Adder, Are You Being Served, Absolutely Fabulous, Hyacinth....

Originally Posted by jennyranson

It is a hilarious episode - not that they aren't all funny. When you refer to a person who wears 'cardies' it can often be a bit derogatory - sort of someone who doesn't pay any attention to fashion because they prefer to be comfortable.
Thanks for that additional info!

Laurie

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's something I miss living in Denmark - they do show Keeping Up Appearances (Hyacinth) from time to time, usually quite late. But things like Blackadder, red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Ab Fab, Smack The Pony... you just don't get them here
I think I need to borrow my bro's Red Dwarf DVDs