TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Quick question for UK members
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Quick question for UK members

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
We were watching Fawlty Towers earlier. For those in the know, it was the episode with the Germans, when Basil has to put up the Moose Head he bought.

Anyway, Cybil hates the Moose Head, which of course is sitting in the office, not hung up on the wall. She's complaining about it, and Basil says to the Moose, "got one of her cardies, did you?"

What is he referring to? I thought it meant she got a snag in her stockings from it (because they come on cards). Gary thinks it's referring to her getting a snag in her sweater (like a cardigan).

Is one of us right? Or is it something completely different?

Thanks!

Laurie
post #2 of 11
not a uk person,
but i would guess cardigan sweater
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
not a uk person,
but i would guess cardigan sweater
to both.
post #4 of 11
Thread Starter 
It makes more sense - but my only problem with it is the moose antlers weren't tall enough to get at a sweater. Of course, accuracy is not a staple in sitcoms - even British ones.

Laurie
post #5 of 11
A cardie is a cardigan. you're absolutely right.
post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Gary was absolutely right! Thanks!

Laurie
post #7 of 11
And don't you LOVE that episode? Oh my gosh, when Basil starts goosestepping across the room... I've seen it a dozen times, but I still laugh so hard I can't catch my breath!
post #8 of 11
It is a hilarious episode - not that they aren't all funny. When you refer to a person who wears 'cardies' it can often be a bit derogatory - sort of someone who doesn't pay any attention to fashion because they prefer to be comfortable.
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
And don't you LOVE that episode? Oh my gosh, when Basil starts goosestepping across the room... I've seen it a dozen times, but I still laugh so hard I can't catch my breath!
We love all of them. In fact, there's quite a few of the older BBC shows we love: Black Adder, Are You Being Served, Absolutely Fabulous, Hyacinth....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyranson View Post
It is a hilarious episode - not that they aren't all funny. When you refer to a person who wears 'cardies' it can often be a bit derogatory - sort of someone who doesn't pay any attention to fashion because they prefer to be comfortable.
Thanks for that additional info!

Laurie
post #10 of 11
That's something I miss living in Denmark - they do show Keeping Up Appearances (Hyacinth) from time to time, usually quite late. But things like Blackadder, red Dwarf, Fawlty Towers, Ab Fab, Smack The Pony... you just don't get them here I think I need to borrow my bro's Red Dwarf DVDs
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilleKat View Post
A cardie is a cardigan. you're absolutely right.
LOL, you beat me to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilleKat View Post
they do show Keeping Up Appearances (Hyacinth)
hehe, i was watching one of those episode's earlier on!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Quick question for UK members