My cat is 15 years old and was diagnosed 4 years ago with CRF. He is on a renal diet and gets subq fluids at home. He has been doing well until the last few months. I noticed his appetite was less and he was occasionally vomitting. I took him in to check his levels and they came back as "high normal" (I can't remember the actual BUN and Creatnine levels), but not high enough to be the cause. About two weeks ago he started vomitting again and I woke up to find what I thought was diahrrea (dark green/brown in color and bad smelling) on my couch. I took him to the vet that day and he had lost a pound since he was there a month ago. The vet ordered an abdominal ultrasound. The night before the ultrasound I was home to see him vomit up this stuff which I thought was diahrrea. The ultrasound revealed a thickening on his intestinal wall. They couldn't tell how large it was because he is quite hard to handle. The vet said he is pulling up content from deeper than his stomach and with the ultrasound results this would be cancer or possibly IBD. They said I could do a test which would pierce his intestine to remove fluid and then test for cancer, but he would need to be sedated because he is so hard to handle at the vet. He has a heart murmur which they said is a concern with sedation. They also told me the treatment, if I didn't do chemo, for cancer and IBD would be the same which is steroids. I decided to go ahead with the steroid because I didn't want to put him through more stress or the risk of sedation. He went for a steroid shot last Saturday and the vet I saw put him on I/D. The follow up was to reevaluate in 10 days to see if he should continue on steroids at home. The day after the steroid shot he threw up a small amount of liquid. On Monday and Thursday of this week he threw up the dark matter again. He also isn't pooping much and they checked him for constipation when he was there. He isn't eating much of either the K/D, IVD or I/D so I have been poaching some chicken or turkey and giving it to him as is or mixing it with rice for him which he will eat a bit of. I know this is not a balanced diet and yet I want him to eat. What are safe foods I can cook for him? I am going to call the vet tomorrow. I somewhat prepared myself years ago that it would be his CRF that I would have to put him to sleep for. I have been crying almost daily. He is always at my side and I can't imagine him not being here. He still wants attention and is easy to make purr. From what I have been reading over some of the posts this doesn't sound like IBD. Any info and advice is appreciated.
post #1 of 10
5/11/08 at 6:01pm