Transport help needed PLEASE!!!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Grandmother passed away two weeks ago. She lived near Austin, Texas. I just found out that, although the other family members adopted her dog and birds, none of the family members would take her kitty. A neighbor has agreed to feed him for the time being but she cannot keep him.

This cat meant a lot to my Grandma. She adopted him from a shelter several years ago. In his previous home, he was brutally maimed by someone who decided to take it upon themselves to neuter him. He is now healthy, and is very friendly.

I have offered to take this kitty if someone can help with transport. I'm going to get in contact with the neighbor and see exactly where they are at. If anyone can help get Smokey Bear from Texas to Indiana please let me know ASAP!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a number of groups that do volunteer pet transport. Hopefully one of them can help. I'll PM you list. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

There are a number of groups that do volunteer pet transport. Hopefully one of them can help. I'll PM you list. Good luck!
Thank you so much!!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you can arrange this! It would be wonderful! But if by chance it doesn't work out, I would call the rescue group the cat came from and they can probably take him back considering the situation. Good luck!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I hope you can arrange this! It would be wonderful! But if by chance it doesn't work out, I would call the rescue group the cat came from and they can probably take him back considering the situation. Good luck!
Thanks! The cat came from the local kill shelter, so I absolutely don't want him going back there.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the Texas area, about an hour and a half or two hours from Austin, in College Station. I don't know how far up I'd be willing to go, but do let me know if I can be of some assistance.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How soon do you need to do this? We have company coming in this week, so my time is kind of tied up, unfortunately.

Look up "pet railroad" or "catster railroad." There are other, similar groups.

Normally, I could drive down to Austin, pick it up, and take it a ways north, but my time is spoken for...as Dottie keeps reminding me.

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

How soon do you need to do this? We have company coming in this week, so my time is kind of tied up, unfortunately.

Look up "pet railroad" or "catster railroad." There are other, similar groups.

Normally, I could drive down to Austin, pick it up, and take it a ways north, but my time is spoken for...as Dottie keeps reminding me.
If time is a problem, I have a spare room here, though its small. If it wasn't for too long, kitty could come stay with me until you have time.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you sooooo much!

Ok, I've gotten a little bit more information from my uncle who lives down there. The cat is in Weir, which is very close to Georgetown. My uncle lives in Belton which is an hour north of Weir. He's willing to get the cat to his house.

At this point, I don't know when we're going to be able to do this, because I haven't gotten any offers to help outside of Texas and Indiana... got quite a bit to cover between here and there.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I live near the Jackson area in Mississippi. Interstate 20 (East/West) passes through. The Mississippi line is an hour from me. I could get to state line and travel to North Mississpi near the Tennessee border. I have relatives and property there that I could visit. Hoping this will come together for you and especially for the cat that she obviously loved and cared for so much. You are a wonderful person. I am sorry for the loss of your grandmother.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No updates, unfortunately. I still have to find a bunch of people to help and people just aren't transporting like they used to... gas prices are too high. I've considered hiring a transport company or having him flown up here but I can't afford it at the moment.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What would an airline charge to fly the kitty up there?
I'll have to double check with the people down there to see what he weighs. If he and the carrier together are under 19 pounds it will be $178.25 plus an additional $50-60 to buy the carrier. Over 19 pounds it will be $194.35 plus the cost of the carrier. Plus they'll have to make sure he goes to a vet and gets all of the certification and such down there which depending on the cost of their vet would probably be around $100-200 (I'm guessing high just in case).

That is all through Delta, I haven't checked out any other airlines yet but I'm doing that now.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You should probably check with Southwest, since they own this area.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

You should probably check with Southwest, since they own this area.
they might be less expensive, true - but do they service the final destination point?
hey, on a side note - was the Wright Amendment ever repealed?