Cleo acts like a dog

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something funny Cleo does that is so adorable. He will raise his two front paws on my knees while he is on the ground and just looks at me. He wants a head rub when he does it. Then he purrs and gives me a soft meow. He is really just a big ole bundle of love.
Anyone else's cats have dog traits?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Rocko does that. I love it!

He is Momma's cuddly boy. It's why I got him. I was at the shelter looking at another cat and he was on his back legs reaching through the cage for me. I was smitten

He also licks me. Follows me around like a dog at feeding times, the others have to be called usually. He makes eye contact alot, we communicate with our eyes. It's neat. He is so different from my other two.

frootloop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sass is technically my roommate's cat, but she follows me around the most. She also paws at my legs and feet whenever I'm in the kitchen (it's where the food bowl is)

She's such a cutie

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes! I posted a while back about mine thinking he's a dog. He begs at the table, waits for me at the door when I come home, roughouses. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing he does is he will lay down and lounge anywhere. Like dogs do. In the middle of a hardwood floor he will just stretch out on his side like a dog.
He is a lovey and he follows me everywhere.

princessrampage

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine does all of the above. In fact my vet even said "you'd think she's part dog". Do any of your cats chew things? For example, headphones, cell phone chargers, any thin cord really, cardboard boxes, wood from a door, yes, wood off of my door.

Both our bathroom and bedroom doors have strips of wood peeled off from them from Rampage biting them. She is declawed so she didn't scratch at them. I've bought some spray that we're not sure is even working because sometimes she does it, and sometimes she leaves the doors alone.

We've also duct taped every cord/cable in the house because of her history of biting through stuff. I've lost 5 pairs of headphones, 2 phone chargers, almost my dustbuster charger, set of big stereo speakers... there is probably more. lol..

Luckily, she has not hurt herself doing any of this... (knocking on wood).

She went through a phase of this when she was younger and then it seemed to go away, but my boyfriend and I went to Montreal a couple weekends ago and left her for 4 days (my parents came over to check on her every day), which is the longest we have ever left her and we came back and the wire on our stereo speakers was in half. Luckily my boyfriend was able to fix it.

I'd be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else? My cat has caused more damage in 1 year than the 6 dogs I've had over 20 years put together!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by princessrampage

Mine does all of the above. In fact my vet even said "you'd think she's part dog". Do any of your cats chew things? For example, headphones, cell phone chargers, any thin cord really, cardboard boxes, wood from a door, yes, wood off of my door.

Both our bathroom and bedroom doors have strips of wood peeled off from them from Rampage biting them. She is declawed so she didn't scratch at them. I've bought some spray that we're not sure is even working because sometimes she does it, and sometimes she leaves the doors alone.

We've also duct taped every cord/cable in the house because of her history of biting through stuff. I've lost 5 pairs of headphones, 2 phone chargers, almost my dustbuster charger, set of big stereo speakers... there is probably more. lol..

Luckily, she has not hurt herself doing any of this... (knocking on wood).

She went through a phase of this when she was younger and then it seemed to go away, but my boyfriend and I went to Montreal a couple weekends ago and left her for 4 days (my parents came over to check on her every day), which is the longest we have ever left her and we came back and the wire on our stereo speakers was in half. Luckily my boyfriend was able to fix it.

I'd be interested to know if this has happened to anyone else? My cat has caused more damage in 1 year than the 6 dogs I've had over 20 years put together!
My guess would be she does the damage with her mouth because she is declawed. Without those she only has her teeth. A cat with claws with use claws mostly. Hope this makes sense.

My Daphne told me a cat secret
Cats tried to teach dogs how to behave. The dogs didn't learn it all so now only know about half what cats know
So, all cat behaviors are perfectly normal.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by princessrampage

Nope! You got me beat!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you mentioned about chewing things as a dog would. Ree-Ree has always chewed things. He loves shoes! Just like a dog. We have lost a dozen pair since we have had him a year now. We have learned to keep them locked away.

He also eats skinny cords. We lost a phone headset, the drinkwell fountain, and an adapter to blow up an air mattress....when will we learn!
I was concerned when we went away so i unplugged everything. I have a cable wrap around the drinkwell fountain adapter...he loves those skinny cords too much.

Shows no signs of growing out of the habit either.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The chewing...Cleo is the biggest chewer in the house. I am tempted to get him one of those skin things dogs chew just so he can have something to destroy.e has chewed my daughter's barbies, holes in boxes, socks?, I find teeth marks everywhere. Sometimes it looks like he was just tasting. Like the leg of my dining room chair?

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cleo is such a cute name, my childhood cat was named Cleo.

Kitty is just like a dog, following me around everywhere. She also makes a little noise under her breath thats almost a bark lol or maybe disgusted 'ugh'. Anybody heard one of those?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oooh Kitty is a cutie pie.

Cleo growls like a dog too. It is very funny.