I might have to ask a favour one day...

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
.... it is a long way off just now, but if I ask now, it would give me more time to figure out a solution if need be.

As you know DH and I are getting married next year in August and I'm planning on having silk flowers for several reasons.

1. They're slightly cheaper
2. The flowergirls can pick theirs to death without really ruining them
3. All the bridesmaids can keep them as mementos
4. Buttonholes won't wilt as quickly and will stay looking nice for the most of the day
5. On some sites I can also have a free toss bouquet, which means I can have the bouquet toss tradition AND keep my own!

My problem is this: all of the sites I've found to buy silk flowers from are American and they don't ship internationally. I've tried to find European sites, but frankly the standard isn't as high and they're very pricey. I love the silk flowers that look real. I was wondering if, when the time comes, there would be someone out there prepared to accept an order and ship them out to me? Of course I would pay for all the shipping and any extra expenses there may be.

I won't be offended if no-one can or would be prepared to help - it's just to make sure I have plenty of time to come up with alternatives

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you had told me this back in february i could have gotten them for you.
Occasionally i work at the Frankfurt international Fair and on the last day they sell their stuff as it costs too much to bring back to where ever they are from.

They had a big chunk of silk flowers.

I will contact the lady for you from china, i think she might do a good deal

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If we're still in our house at that time, of course we'd accept it for you! If we have to move to an apartment, it might be unsafe, because shippers are so careless with apartment deliveries -- but as long as we're in our house, we can arrange to be here and watching for it. And we have all sorts of shipping businesses within a couple of miles of here, so we could easily forward it any way you like. No problem!

Better line up an alternative, though, just in case we have to give up the house.

EDIT: By the way, our next-door neighbors are silk-flower artists. They run a huge business making arrangements and trees and shrubs in their garage, and they're spectacularly good at it! So if you have trouble finding what you want, I could put you in touch with them.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is why I
TCS! It is so great how people help each other out! TCS
! I don't know anything about silk flowers, but if I can help in other ways, just let me know.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You have to take import duties of roughly 19%, shipping charges, and VAT into account, so would you really be ahead when ordering from the U.S.?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweetie, the quality of the silk flowers that I have seen is just spectacular - you would have a really, really hard time telling them apart from fresh flowers - you just don't get those qualities in the UK. I've seen some in Holland that aren't bad, but they only make set pieces and they're not overly pretty. But I'm also buying a lot of other stuff from the US for making favours and suchlike (the craft stores here in Denmark are just ridiculous. Take your import charges, your shipping and your VAT and add some and you'll get the idea - and that's without even leaving the city)

Thankyou soooooo much for your offers to help
I love TCS
I'll continue to shop around and see what else there is. You guys are the best

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
years ago, we had a russian company come in, (back in the live show days)
they and rented a uhaul truck just to carry all the silk flowers the women in the show had been buying lol

jcat is right, they changed me 100 dollars just to ship a small box with cat toys, and some candy to indo.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

years ago, we had a russian company come in, (back in the live show days)
they and rented a uhaul truck just to carry all the silk flowers the women in the show had been buying lol

jcat is right, they changed me 100 dollars just to ship a small box with cat toys, and some candy to indo.
Thats to indonesia though, its further away.

I have to admit the parcel i just sent to the US costed me 50 euros, but the parcel i got from my ss and she sent me a massive one only costed her 50 dollars.

After all guys its her wedding, she is to spend a bit of money!