Help with Orphan 6 day old kitten!

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted 2 newborn kittens on Tuesday morning after I found them abandoned in the sun still with umbilical attached to placenta. Unfortunately we were unable to save one - she'd just been left in the sun too long. My little boy has been doing really well.. eats well sleeps well and until Friday had been peeing and pooping well. On Friday he had the runs so I called my vet who suggested I try feeding him less - it stopped the diarrhea but he hasn't really pood since. No matter how much I stimulate he only produces very small amounts - just about enough to dirty the cotton wool and tissue I use to stimulate him. Please - any suggestions of what to do? I know he should be pooing by now - it's almost 48 hours since the diarrhea stopped!

sazza

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would take him back to the vet asap, if you are feeling concerned. Please let us know how you get on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I managed to get hold of my vet and the solution was the opposite of dealing with the diarrhea - feed him more. I adjusted his feeds and we have poop at last
I now have 160 grams of content 6 day old kitten

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Squeak had her 2nd vet check-up on Friday and we found out he's a she! The vet said her bum was very sore and to be a bit more gentle and try some cream if needed. Since last night she won't let me stimulate her at all! I did the warm water bath for her rear end to get her to pee and I'm hoping she'll calm down enough to be able to stimulate her properly with her next feed. She was born May 6th so it's now day 13 for my baby girl. She's become very clingy the past 2 days, demanding to be held and to sleep in my arms - until then she had been more than happy to sleep in her nest with a warm rice-bag. Her eyes are still shut although they do look like they could be opening at the corners.
A friend suggested using weak tea on the washcloth instead of warm water as it's a mild antiseptic, has anyone tried this? If not any other suggestions on making her pee/poo time a bit more comfortable for her?

I'm attaching a pic, just because I'm so proud of my beautiful girl.. I know she hasn't made it yet, but she's nearly 2 weeks old - it's ok to be optimistic now right?

joyzerelly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allytt

any other suggestions on making her pee/poo time a bit more comfortable for her?
I used Johnson's Baby Cream (and half a cotton wool ball) on my babies (now 6 weeks old). This helps stimulate them without soreness and also is very effective at cleaning them, so you don't have to rub hard.

Also, it sounds as though your little one didn't receive any collocstrum from the mother so be very particular about hygiene (I boiled just about everything I used and went through plenty of discinfectant on their bedding) Also, as she's on her own, if you haven't already, try giving her a teddy to curl up with.

Good luck!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joyzerelly

Also, it sounds as though your little one didn't receive any collocstrum from the mother so be very particular about hygiene (I boiled just about everything I used and went through plenty of discinfectant on their bedding) Also, as she's on her own, if you haven't already, try giving her a teddy to curl up with.

Good luck!
altho my Firefox wasn't nearly as small as your little love, she was VERY malnourished [less than a pound @ about 1 month of age]... i used the Just Born brand of kitten milk replacer. according to the label, it has colustrum. i used the pre-mixed kind - i know i was paying for water [some of it, anyway] but i could never get the powdered stuff to mix thoroughly w/o lumps.
you might already be using it - i just thought i'd suggest it, just in case.
& going up for your wee one...

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She didn't receive any colustrum at all. I've looked everywhere and can't find anything fortified with colustrum or a foster mum to take over her care. I live in North Cyprus and all I can find is Gimpet kitten milk and Milkodog that my vet recommended. She seems to like the Milkodog better than the Gimpet - I must admit I prefer it too as it makes Squeak smell like vanilla
She just had a feed half an hour ago and peed well and didn't scream like she did earlier. She did have the runs a bit the past couple of days so I'm not worried about her not pooing at the moment, I'll just take it as the runs being over. I'll get some of the baby cream first thing in the morning. I'm sterilizing everything in a baby sterilizer with the tablets and her bedding is washed very often (although I must say she hasn't had any accidents at all!) I've also kept all the other cats totally away from her and I change my clothes if I'm going to handle her after the others. I don't think I've ever washed my hands so much before in my life! Working at 10 feeds a day, washing hands before, mid-way and after each feed, I'm suprised I have any skin left to be honest!
The vet commented that she was very fat - she's around 280 grams at 13 days, is that a lot?
She was just under 100grams at first weigh-in on day 2. She just doesn't stop drinking until the bottle is empty and then cries for more! The local animal rescue said it would be a miracle if she lived so I'm trying not to get too optimistic but I do love her and it would break my heart if anything happened to her. I work full-time and everyone at work is very attached to her and we've decided to keep her as the office mascot. After losing Bubble I think we're all being extra careful with this little one so I'd appreciate any tips from the more experienced foster mums out there.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why do they think it will be a miracle if she lives? Many many kittens thrive and do very well after being found that youg. Im not sure about the weight, she looks so plump and healthy. That 2nd pic is soooooooo precious

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She's round!! I'm not sure that could be classified as, "fat," but surely, "circular!" Sounds like you are doing a great job! I wouldn't worry about her making it, you're past the most fragile time. Enjoy her!

acatnamedoozle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ive done 13 bottle babies, not any that yung, manly two weeks and up. anyway, I have not lost a sinlg kitten yet. the pictures are vert sweet.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
this website will help you www.kitten-rescue.com If you have specific questions, please feel free to PM me. I will help you all I can. Good luck with the newcomer-and keep your vigil up with her. She isn't out of the woods yet but she has the best she could get in her corner right now.

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update - Squeak finally opened her eyes yesterday.. they were tightly shut - she had a touch of diarrhea and was screaming her head off when all of a sudden she blinked her eyes open! It's now day 17 and she's doing brilliantly. She wants to chew on EVERYTHING - how can I relieve the pain of her teething? Will she be ready to start weaning at 4 weeks or can one try saucer feeding some of the formula earlier to get her used to it? She'll already lap the milk off my finger now - when she's not trying to chew on me that is!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't rush her off the bottle. Chewing is normal for the babies they can only experience their world in three ways- sight, sound and taste. You will know when to take her off the bottle when she becomes restless after feeding and she has taken the whole bottle and perhaps more. She will start moving around and crying looking for more sustanance. She will chew the nipple on the bottle almost in half that is when you move to the next stage.

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had no plan to wean her off formula but she seems very frustrated by the bottle right now.. She wants to chew on and lick at everything and this is the 2nd nipple she's destroyed (she actually started teething very early, within the first week!). Is there nothing I can do to help her with the teething?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Allytt

I had no plan to wean her off formula but she seems very frustrated by the bottle right now.. She wants to chew on and lick at everything and this is the 2nd nipple she's destroyed (she actually started teething very early, within the first week!). Is there nothing I can do to help her with the teething?
Im not sure how to help. You may want to PM Hissy for some advice. Maybe bumping up this thread will bring you some answers, too.

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Pami.

I called my vet who was operating but one of the vet techs there said it was ok to start introducing solids given her behaviour. I have to go and get more kitten milk later anyway so I'll take her with me for a quick check-over and ask again then. Her new favourite pass-time is walking across the keyboard - it's amazing how quickly she's developed these past couple of days, she's now cleaning herself, walking nicely and even seems to be able to see short distances as she will follow my hand as I guide her. I think I'm in love
now I just need a proper name for her, she's going to grow out of Squeak pretty quickly I think and it just doesn't make so much sense since we lost Bubble!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that is wonderful news to hear about her

Its time for some updated pics of your little sweet pea

allytt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My beautiful girl - she's spending most of her time on my desk at work.. that was taken a few hours ago.. she'd just woken up and eyes were only half open, sweet little mite..

And this is yesterday, she was showing off how she can get her back-legs in to her mouth but I didn't get hold of the camera in time!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh she is just absolutely precious
What a little angel she is