Iron Man (2008)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iron Man

I always see a movie my birthday weekend, and because of the positive reviews, we tromped out to see this one. So, when I see super hero flicks I take in a check list:

1. There must be 'splosions. Lots of 'splosions. Gratuitous in nature, and there must be many of them. Iron Man hit the mark.

2. There must be a dim love story plot line. Again, Iron Man fit the bill.

3. The villain must be vial in nature, and either have a beard or wear a funny costume. Amazingly, Iron Man had both.

4. The main actor mustn't get in the way of the story. Robert Downey Jr. did a really good job. He stuck to the script and let the comic take over.

All in all the film worked, and was actually fun to watch. It's worth checking out in the theater.

Now, I'm going to go off on a tangent. Marvel Comics has decided that they are going to do all of their comic based movies in house. I was kind of surprised to see Marvel Productions as the total backer of this film. This is both good news and bad. The good news is that they will be setting their own contracts, working with a stock of good actors, and approving all scripts. This also means there will be a lot more tie ins along the way. We'll see some cross over characters in future comic book based movies. The bad part of all of this is that it may scare off some of the best directors in the business. Marvel must learn to play with the big boys, and learn to suck it up when a big name makes what they think is going to be a bad move. We shall see how this all works out. I have my fingers crossed.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - I loved this movie - but I think there are only so many comic book heroes that we can get away with putting in movies. Doesn't the same old storyline get old and tired after a while? If the put many more superheros in movies, then I think the novelty will wear off very quickly and they'll finish up making a huge loss.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really enoyed it. With the new Hulk movie coming out this summer and Captain America due out in 2009 it's only fitting that Iron Man will be eventually be tied into at least those two super heroes by the time the third Iron Man movie comes out.

"Avengers Assemble!!"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LilleKat

I agree - I loved this movie - but I think there are only so many comic book heroes that we can get away with putting in movies. Doesn't the same old storyline get old and tired after a while? If the put many more superheros in movies, then I think the novelty will wear off very quickly and they'll finish up making a huge loss.
I'm not too sure about that. Comics have a big spot in the heart of a lot of people, and most translate well into film. The key to making it is to keep the plot simple, and to let the elements work.

Originally Posted by Essayons89

I really enoyed it. With the new Hulk movie coming out this summer and Captain America due out in 2009 it's only fitting that Iron Man will be eventually be tied into at least those two super heroes by the time the third Iron Man movie comes out.

"Avengers Assemble!!"
I've heard some horror stories about Ed Norton and the new Hulk movie. He's asked to have review of the final cut, and if specific scenes are removed he'll not do press for the film. Norton has done this before, and it's had some good and bad results. The studio should have known this before they let him take the part. If he comes out and bashes the director it could mean that the film makes little to no money in a US release.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

Now, I'm going to go off on a tangent. Marvel Comics has decided that they are going to do all of their comic based movies in house. I was kind of surprised to see Marvel Productions as the total backer of this film. This is both good news and bad. The good news is that they will be setting their own contracts, working with a stock of good actors, and approving all scripts. This also means there will be a lot more tie ins along the way. We'll see some cross over characters in future comic book based movies. The bad part of all of this is that it may scare off some of the best directors in the business. Marvel must learn to play with the big boys, and learn to suck it up when a big name makes what they think is going to be a bad move. We shall see how this all works out. I have my fingers crossed.
hm no marvel is one of the big boys. they have the money to pay it.
after seeing what hollywood does to comic books.

iwouldsooner they never get there hands on one again.

so if dir are smart they will play along with what they want