What litter is everyone using?

rustypixel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is something that has been discussed to death, but I'm on this phase of my research and would like to get personal experiences from brands that are liked and not liked. I hear so much about WBCL and Nature's Miracle, but the places that I read about these and other brands in the Litter Box Central site and it appears that there isn't that much activity on that forum. I'm about three weeks from bringing home the kittens (12 week old Siamese brother/sister pair) and kitty litter is about the last thing on my list to be decided on. Anyone use Ultra Pearls? If so, what is the opinion on these? I guess I'm just looking to hear more recent experiences from people about different litter brands.

Thanks.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Sister uses that. She only has one Cat though. She changes the pan once a month. I use Yesterdays Mews and just tried Swheat Scoop but it was hard to clean. I am trying Wbcl next.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've use Classy Cat - it's a very fine clumping bentonite - it's perfect! We can buy it at $20 per 15kilo bag (which is cheap for Denmark, trust me) if we buy four bags at a time and that will last us for at least two or three months. The cats love it, it doesn't smell and it's so easy to empty the box! Of course we empty the boxes twie a day because Bootie is even more of a stickler for that than most cats... I tried the pearls and just hated them. I can't remember what brand it was, but they got everywhere, the cats didn't like to use them, they DID smell regardless of what it's advertised as and nothing more disgusting that seeing a box full of yellow. Wasn't pleasant.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i use Scoop Away unscented clumping, plus some Cat Attract litter additive.
clumps harder than anything i've ever seen!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are using plain wood stove pellets gotten from the Farm stores - 40 lbs for about $4.00 or less. I like it better then litter cause it really helps cut down on odor. Its a pain to shift tho, but not all that bad

And besides that its "green" friendly for the landfills

audiocat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We've been using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter since we adopted Forrest last Summer. I really love it. I was using Tidy Cats before and Forrest would leave the litter box with a white ring of dust around his nose so I had to find a low dust litter. Not only is this litter low dust it is very hard clumping and has no added scent to it.

I scoop at least once daily and have not noticed odors. The litter comes in a couple of sizes. I get the 40lb bags at PetSmart and I think they are about $14.00-$15.00 for the 40lbs.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started with Arm & Hammer Clumping and used that for more than a year until it started getting incredibly dusty - it seems to be made more fine now, which leaves so much dust in the house I developed breathing issues.

I tried out Tidy Cat - several variants of that brand - Walmart's Special Kitty and then took the plunge and tried WBCL. I will never, EVER use a clay litter again.

The WBCL, while an expensive purchase, actually saves me money on litter costs and I no longer have a dusty home. The litterboxes do develop a bit of a "barnyard" small to them, but it isn't a bad odor, to my nose.

Only caveat is, that it does tend to be bad at covering any immediate odors. When the cats poop, you know it, and it takes a little while for it to dissapate.

But overall, I find that using WBCL, my home smells a lot less like cat than it did with clay litters.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Scoop Away, mainly because it clumps so well!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't really tried much, but I can say that I really like World's Best Cat Litter. I tried them on regular clay with silica (Practicat from Costco) and within a week it was definitely time to change the litter completely (2 kittens).

With World's Best (I've been using extra strength, but when I went today, the store only had regular in the big bags, so I'm going to try that out), I don't smell anything other than the litter once I get any waste out. It clumps very well.

I'm on week 3 of a small bag. When the litter gets low, I just add a little bit of fresh stuff. However, the litter that remains after scooping looks and smells just as fresh as when I first put it in!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AudioCat

We've been using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat Litter since we adopted Forrest last Summer. I really love it. I was using Tidy Cats before and Forrest would leave the litter box with a white ring of dust around his nose so I had to find a low dust litter. Not only is this litter low dust it is very hard clumping and has no added scent to it.

I scoop at least once daily and have not noticed odors. The litter comes in a couple of sizes. I get the 40lb bags at PetSmart and I think they are about $14.00-$15.00 for the 40lbs.
That is the same litter I use and I am happy with it also
Except here in my area I only pay $8.89 for 40lbs.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tried WBCL & the cats hated it. They disklike Feline Pine, but use the Yesterday's News.

I've used Arm & Hammer, Tidy Cats, Speical Kitty, Scoop Away, & a zillion other store brands of clay litters.

I now use Swheat scoop & love it.

You'll have to try to find a litter the kittens like that you also like. I would keep them on the litter they're using before you bring them home to start with, then slowly switch over to another to avoid litterbox issues.

wishiwas

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use WBCL Extra Strength and love it. I never tried to regular to say if there's a difference.. the extra strength is only a few cents more expensive where I get it, so I don't see any reason to risk the other not working as well.

I do add a couple scoops of Feline Pine Scoopable when I change out the box.. it seems to help with the immediate odor problem some, and it's really cheap. The cats really didn't seem to like the extra fine texture of that by itself the time I ran out of WBCL, and it tracked a lot, so I stick to just adding a little in.

piercedkitten83

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since we've only had Crackerman for 2 weeks, we are trying out different cat litters. We are currently using Feline Pine.

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kittens have only been with me for a week... but right now we are using Tidy Cats, and kittens love using their litter box... and there have been no problems with odor... so we are probably going to stick with it!

pauline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just purchased Feline Fresh natural pine cat litter from the pet store. She really sold me on it. I am a sucker, so I really hope it is good.

Has anyone heard of it?

I have been using everything under the sun. My cat does not care as long as it is clean. I just wanted something biodegradable and odor aborbant...that ammonia stink, yeck.

It was pretty cheap too. 11 for 20 lbs.

We will see if they get use to the pellets.

ninababy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used Arm&Hammer, PetPride, and Tidy Cats clay litter. But like other members here, once I switched out of clay litter I couldn't go back to it.

I tried Feline Pine Pellets and although i personally loved the fresh pine smell and i think it did a great job of covering up odors, the tracking once the pine broke down was horrible.

I use WBCL and love it!! It does have a weird smell, but it's not that bad, and it's not like the smell permeates that bad -- i have a studio apartment, so i would know..
it may be a little pricey, but not but much because the return on how good it is amazing. Great clumping, covers odor well, no dust, low tracking, all-natural (verses the clay stuff), and I've always flushed it down the toilet without any problems.. when I had two kittens a 8lb small bag would last me at least a month and with one kitten it lasts me over two months. I would definitely recommend it at least try this!