Pansy straining, frequenting the box, seafood?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We will see the vet today, he has never had a uti, do you think this is a result of having a few bites of crab legs last night?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not think so. Don't beat yourself up; these things happen all the time.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seafood wouldn't do that. Its probably a UTI. Glad he's getting to the vet today - you don't want to wait and see when a male cannot pee or is straining a lot!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just got back. suspect a bladder infection, his bladder was empty, gave suqtaneous fluid, antibiotic injection, couldn't get any urine to check, and prednisone. Begin meds tomorrow.

He is such a baby, soooo glad to be home. Fang hissed at him afew times, he's only been gone two hours, geeez.

Bill 102.00

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope he feels better. I was told never to give Pred to a Cat with a Bladder Infection. That is how Coco got one of hers. My Vet is from Uc Davis and is one of the best.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He said the pred was to eliminate or cut down the inflammation, or spasm that is a result from the straining.

How does a cat that stays indoors, and uses a litter box with anything rarely in it, get a bladder infection? or uti?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco gets them and she has never been outside. Her last one took 6 Bottles of Antibiotics before it was gone. She got her fiest infection when she was very Sick at age 9.5. I hope your Cat feels better. Did they say to come back for a recheck?

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, he did not say to follow up, if he is not better after the clavamox, I will take him back. He has already had a full void this morning, so I think he will be ok. It is tuff getting pills in him though, the first part of catching him is tough. Once he knows I want to pick him up, he makes sure I can't get him. Snuck up on him this morning, but he will soon get wise and not even come near me. Hope I can outsmart him for a week and he doesn't bite off my finger. He is a picky eater, so I know that putting it in food or pill pockets is not gioing to work. Down the hatch is the only way. If only he would hold still.
For fang, all I have to do is stand next to the scratching post and say pill, and he comes over and rolls on his back so I can give it to him. he is such a good pill taker.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

How does a cat that stays indoors, and uses a litter box with anything rarely in it, get a bladder infection? or uti?
Where he lives has nothing to do with him getting UTIs and bladder infections. Do you feed an all dry food diet? If so that would be a start on what caused it.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Where he lives has nothing to do with him getting UTIs and bladder infections. Do you feed an all dry food diet? If so that would be a start on what caused it.
No he eats wet and dry, the same as his brothers. He drinks water, he has a clean bottom. Can the other cats catch it?

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

No he eats wet and dry, the same as his brothers. He drinks water, he has a clean bottom. Can the other cats catch it?
No, UTI is not catchy. It is a miserable thing for the cat though.
You might want to add a teaspoon of water to the wet food, so he
he get some extra water. You can sometimes hide pills in chesse,
like cheddar it is strong tasty. you can buy soft treats and hide
them in it, if he eats treats. Oh, I am sure the little bit of seafood had
nothing to do with it.