TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Not exactly computer fraud
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Not exactly computer fraud

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 
I came home the other day and there was a UPS ticket saying that they had tried to deliver something from Amazon that needed a signature. I hadn't ordered anything and DH looked up and he couldn't find any order he made.
I just pulled up the next day when they were delivering the package. It was addressed to DH. I opened it up and it is an iMacBook laptop. I'm a bit worried here that something is going on.
DH went to his Amazon account - current - to retrieve the order # but he got a message saying that it was placed on his other acct and he had to look for it there. He was blocked from seeing it there. So, he had to call Amazon and leave a callback # because they do not answer the phone in person.
Well, someone ordered the laptop using DH's Optima card which he still has and he hasn't used in years. I figure that someone went through our trash, picked up the bill, found the account number, ordered the laptop and was going to pick it up if UPS just left it. They didn't take into account that a signature was needed.
Now we have AMEX and Amazon researching who really placed the order. DH has a new account and signed up for a paperless statement. What is even more absurd is that it is exactly the laptop that we are going to get our daughter when she comes home this summer but we have to do it with her in person to get a student discount.
After this and the loquats, I think that I need happy hour today.
post #2 of 18
that would upset me, was there any other charges placed?
did amazon send you another laptop?(lol sorry twice before i called amazon to tell them they sent the wrong item only to have them ship me the same item again)

what did you do with laptop?
post #3 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzie View Post
After this and the loquats, I think that I need happy hour today.
... at least you has good mood to say this!
post #4 of 18
About 18 months ago we got a call from our CC company that our # was used to try to buy electronic items at a large electronic chain!! We burn all our private data so I don't know how our # got out.

Hopefully the person placing that order will get caught and arrested!!
post #5 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimp98 View Post
that would upset me, was there any other charges placed?
did amazon send you another laptop?(lol sorry twice before i called amazon to tell them they sent the wrong item only to have them ship me the same item again)

what did you do with laptop?
We have to return the laptop to Amazon - they emailed a postage label. If they send us another, I bet it would be hard to explain to them why they didn't need to do that. Ouch! That prospect is giving me a headache!

Anyway, there were no odd charges on any of our other accounts. We have access to most all of our charge cards on-line so we are monitoring their activity.
post #6 of 18
IMO sounds like someone has hacked into your account and has your DH's identity and is using his card. You'd better contact your card and put a stolen identity alert on it NOW. And don't expect the person to be caught - very few are - but they rack up a lot more expenses that YOU can be responsible for.

You might want to go to http://www.stolenidentityreport.com and check out what you need to do now.
post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45 View Post
IMO sounds like someone has hacked into your account and has your DH's identity and is using his card. You'd better contact your card and put a stolen identity alert on it NOW. And don't expect the person to be caught - very few are - but they rack up a lot more expenses that YOU can be responsible for.

You might want to go to http://www.stolenidentityreport.com and check out what you need to do now.
Amex already cancelled the card and reissued it. No one is actually out the money. Amazon gets the laptop back and credits Amex.

I still think it more likely that someone took a paper statement out of our garbage, ordered the laptop, had it sent to the billing address and just thought that they could pick it up. If they had really hacked into the account and stole the identity, that laptop would not have been delivered to our house with a signature required delivery. Almost sounds like some teens who want a computer and figured that this was a way to get it
post #8 of 18
Yeah, that sucks. The reality of living in a high-tech age!!! I have had my check card compromised a couple of times in the last year. What a pain! But my bank has been really good about it.
post #9 of 18
Don't bet on it - ID thieves do the paper trash to obtain info on you. While nothing may show up now, you and your husband are at a higher risk for ID theft of other things now. Its not just one account they have info on. You'd be surprised at how much more they have probably have on you.

Unless you shred EVERYTHING, you are at risk for ID theft!
post #10 of 18
This is precisely why DH and I shred any paper before it goes in the recycling bins. All the bins are locked too, with a narrow slot in the top to put the paper in through. That way if there is anything compromised, it can only have been done at the recycling centre itself. Definitely good that you had the card cancelled but it might be worth keeping your eyes open for anything else that may have been "paid" for with other cards.
post #11 of 18
I shred anything that has my credit card # on it and I also shred all the credit card offers I get in the mail.
post #12 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorie D. View Post
I shred anything that has my credit card # on it and I also shred all the credit card offers I get in the mail.
I am buying a shredder today.
post #13 of 18
Security experts have a list of things that you can do to improve you chances. Here are just a few.

1. Shred everything you receive that has you name and address on it. That includes junk mail. Everything. And use a cross-cut shredder, not a straight shredder.

2. Never use a debit card, unless your bank gives you the same protection as a credit card.

3. Make out all your checks with gel pens, which cannot be "washed" off the check, leaving the thief with a signed blank check from you.

4. Have your new checks sent to your bank and pick them up there, not to your home or PO Box.

5. Put a credit watch on your accounts at the various credit agencies. This will stop most pre-approved credit card offers. It will make it a little harder for you to open a new account anywhere, but it's worth it.
post #14 of 18
Golly, you sure are having a day of it.
post #15 of 18
It's not just out of the trash that people try to steal info. I am the e-Commerce Manager at a company that sells sporting goods online as well as having stores and a mail order department. There are overseas shady people out there who try to use stolen cards regularly. These thieves tend to follow a pattern so I call the credit card companies to confirm billing addresses before I ship anything. For example, when I see an order for 20 AXL black t-shirts with an overseas address, I flag it.

When a card holder notices fraudulent activity, they initiate a charge-back on the transaction. The CC company gives them their money back (as it should work). And, on top of it all, the merchant is then out the money and the merchandise. CC fraud is a real problem all around. Totally sucks.
post #16 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerkid710 View Post
It's not just out of the trash that people try to steal info. I am the e-Commerce Manager at a company that sells sporting goods online as well as having stores and a mail order department. There are overseas shady people out there who try to use stolen cards regularly. These thieves tend to follow a pattern so I call the credit card companies to confirm billing addresses before I ship anything. For example, when I see an order for 20 AXL black t-shirts with an overseas address, I flag it.

When a card holder notices fraudulent activity, they initiate a charge-back on the transaction. The CC company gives them their money back (as it should work). And, on top of it all, the merchant is then out the money and the merchandise. CC fraud is a real problem all around. Totally sucks.
I hear what you are saying and it does suck. I love to mail/email order. I consulted for a client implementing an integrated mail order and financial system. Fascinating business.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate persons like you and your company being vigilant for consumers. Major kudos to you! Having being in support positions, I know that you often do not get the credit you deserve.

However, because I do mail order, I have had 3 occasions where I have been (and not DH as in this instance) the fraud victim. But not all of them have been because of someone trying to be me. So:

1. I won a trip to Hawaii from a raffle at our daughter's grammar school. No joke, I am somewhat lucky.
We had a nanny who happened to be my second cousin. She watched the pets and the house while we were gone. She also had a big party and her "friends" crashed. One went in to my bedroom and into my jewelry box. I had put the good stuff in the safety deposit but I left my brokerage charge card there. We got a call in Hawaii from our broker (we told her that I won this prize) and she asked if I had made these charges. I had not and she stopped activity on the card. It was probably about $1500 that the brokerage house ate.
My Aunt Lotty, my Mom's sister, called our nanny, her granddaughter and read her the riot act. No more unauthorized guests.

2. I found Smart Bargains and began ordering. I got a call because they found that all of a sudden I was shipping things to Canada. They took about $800 off my account.

3. This one I really love. I heard about the Hotel Des Arts in SF and we decided to stay there one night. Yes, it is a remodeled hotel with great art but they had an old manual charge thingy. As far as I can figure, someone stole the carbons to the charge slip. They tried to order, what else, a computer for $2500 to be shipped to another address. The vendor called me to confirm that I ordered it. No way! So, in this instance, no one was out the money.

So, I had to cancel all my credit cards 2x. The brokerage house cancelled one. The brokerage house and whoever was responsible for the Smart Bargains incident were out the money.

Bottom line is that I do order often and the watch dogs like you are out there to stop or minimize the damages to all. I can't tell you how much I appreciate persons like you being vigilant for consumers and your company. Major kudos to you!
post #17 of 18
that is just weird ... about 13 yrs ago now mom put me on a amex she got ... I was in high school and might need some gas or something... well I never used the card and neither did she ... amazingly someone got the number and bought gas and never used it again.. we reported it and cut up the cards as mom cancelled them
post #18 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
that is just weird ... about 13 yrs ago now mom put me on a amex she got ... I was in high school and might need some gas or something... well I never used the card and neither did she ... amazingly someone got the number and bought gas and never used it again.. we reported it and cut up the cards as mom cancelled them
Amex is the easiest about taking off charges. I think that is because they charge a higher fee to retailers. All I know is that Amex is the first card I got and I have been loyal ever since.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Not exactly computer fraud