Bearded Dragon

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My SOs brother had a Bearded Dragon that he could no longer care for, so my SO took it.
SOs brother had named the lizard, a male, "Vincent".

I went to the reptile store with my SO, to buy some supplies for Vincent...
And I noticed that Vincent looked a lot like the female bearded dragons they had there.

Vincent is now about 3 years old, and last night she laid eggs for the very first time.
This morning, there were 30 eggs!

We haven't bred her, so we won't be having any babies.
We just don't have the resources to care for them.
(I've seen photos, and the babies are very cute!)

So I guess for now, we're going to just up her calcium intake and re-name her.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, at least now you know she's female!
One of my cornsnakes laid a clutch of slugs for me last month, and it was a surprise to me too! (Although I did know she was female, anyway.) Post some photos if you can - beardies are soooo cute! My DD wants one, but I just don't want to deal with the crickets.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bearded Dragons are easy to sex (esp. when they have eggs
), for more information on how to best take care of them please visit www.reptilerooms.com

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The RR forum is great for breadie info.

Just make sure she lays all of her eggs and there aren't any issues. Have you owned a bearded before?
If she'll eat them, good veggies and greens for calcium are spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and butternut (some of the uncommon varieties are good, too). For greens, turnip, mustard, and collard have good calcium ratio. If you can find safe dandelion and shepard's purse, she may enjoy those as a treat.

If you have space to grow some greens outside, even a large flower pot, go ahead and plant some. If you want greens like endive and escarole (chicory) you'll probably have to grow them yourself anyways. They grow fast and you'll know they haven't been treated with anything.

Good veggie info links - http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html
http://www.greenigsociety.org/foodchart.htm

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The RR forum is great for breadie info.

Just make sure she lays all of her eggs and there aren't any issues. Have you owned a bearded before?
If she'll eat them, good veggies and greens for calcium are spaghetti squash, acorn squash, and butternut (some of the uncommon varieties are good, too). For greens, turnip, mustard, and collard have good calcium ratio. If you can find safe dandelion and shepard's purse, she may enjoy those as a treat.

If you have space to grow some greens outside, even a large flower pot, go ahead and plant some. If you want greens like endive and escarole (chicory) you'll probably have to grow them yourself anyways. They grow fast and you'll know they haven't been treated with anything.

Hah! I have that first food chart, but not the second *adds onto her list*.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!!!! 30 eggs! Yikes! At least people really like bearded dragons! In fact, maybe I'll take one!
They make great pets!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Bearded Dragons are easy to sex (esp. when they have eggs
), for more information on how to best take care of them please visit www.reptilerooms.com
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Have you owned a bearded before?
Thank you for the info! I have not owned any reptiles before. My SO has been caring for this one for 2 years, but I would like to know how to care for her properly.
He feeds her collard greens, but she's a brat and doesn't seem to like them as much as she likes crickets.
I will try feeding her different plants, though.

We have a balcony, so I think I'll start a garden for our pets!
(We also have a hermit crab-mine and two red-eared sliders-his).

I didn't manage to get any photos of the eggs
, but I do have some photos of her that I will post soon.

I looked up "Vinca" and I'm not sure that name suits her!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ Good luck if you decide to join the RR forums. Thankfully they have some issues straightened out now - some ex members had server access and access to all the files, they did some rotten stuff and was then DOS'ing the site.

My user name is the same there and though I usually only post in the Geckos, Turtle, and Tortoise sections, feel free to pm me if you need any help.

And try lots of veggies! Try them yourself, too. Squash is delicious.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by Going Nova

(We also have a hermit crab-mine and two red-eared sliders-his).
Oooh, I have hermit crabs too! If you're interested, I'm part of a HC forum much like this one... everyone's really nice there too!

Just a quick question: you say you have "a hermit crab" I'm assuming that means just one.... just a gentle fyi that hermits are actually community animals and are much happier with at least one friend (the more the merrier though lol)

cathaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
try mulberryfarms.com for insects like hornworms, silkworms, waxworms, butterworms, and roaches. Beardies like a varied diet.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Oooh, I have hermit crabs too! If you're interested, I'm part of a HC forum much like this one... everyone's really nice there too!

Just a quick question: you say you have "a hermit crab" I'm assuming that means just one.... just a gentle fyi that hermits are actually community animals and are much happier with at least one friend (the more the merrier though lol)
I do have only one; I had two others but they died after about a year. I have had this one for 4 years. I'm not quite sure what went wrong with the other two...
I think I have a pretty good setup: 10 gallon tank with "eco earth" over sand, salt and fresh water, climbing background and branch, drinking sponge, extra shells, cuttlebone for calcium, etc. I buy crab food, but also give fruits and fish when I have it in the house.

The surviving crab was aggressive with the other crabs (maybe I ought to have separated them or gotten a bigger tank), and that's part of the reason I haven't gotten any more. The other reason I haven't gotten more crabs is that I'm not sure if I will be able to keep many animals in the future. (I would like to go into exploration geophysics, which requires quite a bit of travel. This is years down the road, but I do not want to re-home any of my animals.)

I do feel guilty for keeping just one...

Thanks again everyone, for all the great info!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
You've got a great set up by the sounds of it! You really did your research! Props to you! Crabs can be finicky and it's hard to know what they go through before we get them and molting is way stressful on them, so I'm sure it's nothing you did wrong... if you're interested though, the HC site is landhermitcrabs.com (I'm PSUPrncess10 over there) - there are members from all over the world and if you get to the point that you no longer want to care for your little guy, we often have people adopt out their crabs to other capable, caring members!

Right now I only have 3 in my 20L as the last few I tried to integrate didn't survive the post-purchase stress, but my oldest I had gotten as one of my first in 2003

Quick edit: question about your tank - what type of lid do you have? Some type of solid lid, or plastic covered screen is best to keep in humidity! Ok that is all hahaha

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Quick edit: question about your tank - what type of lid do you have? Some type of solid lid, or plastic covered screen is best to keep in humidity! Ok that is all hahaha
Ahh, It's got a wire screen cover that has a hinge in the middle. I cover one side of it, so I can still get in there but trap some humidity. Our apartment gets sort of stuffy so it's usually humid in the 70% even without misting. I don't cover it completely for fear of mold. You've really got me thinking about getting him/her a friend. (I don't know if it's male or female, but his/her name is Dangles.) I will definitely check out the HC forum, and the others that were suggested in this thread. (Because I need more forums to distract me from work.) It's so nice to connect with people who are care about their animals!

On the subject of bearded dragons... there's a reptile store near us and they sell feeder crickets/worms that have been well fed. The crickets and worms are lively and plump. It's an independently-owned store and they take really good care of the animals there. That's where we usually go for foods. I will look into feeding her different things.

I still haven't named our pretty girl.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

On the subject of bearded dragons... there's a reptile store near us and they sell feeder crickets/worms that have been well fed. The crickets and worms are lively and plump. It's an independently-owned store and they take really good care of the animals there. That's where we usually go for foods. I will look into feeding her different things.
Just remember, no mealworms. Superworms are ok, though. Probably want to avoid the waxworms unless using them as treats.