Need Ideas For Mothers Day Dinner

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to cook dinner for my mom on Sunday but I can't think of anything to make. My little sister is an extremely picky eater. She hates every kind of vegetable except for potatoes, she doesn't like most kinds of sauce (like bbq sauce and stuff) and basically no flavour.

Anyone have any ideas? I am considering making a lasagna because she will eat that. If I can't think of anything, I am probably just going to get take-out Swiss Chalet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

What does your Mum like? It's HER day.
My mom is not picky, she likes pretty much everything. I have to make something my sister likes though. I can't cook for my mom, my boyfriend and myself and leave my sister out.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a mom, I have to say I'd appreciate any meal that I didn't have to prepare and clean up after.

I say go for the lasagna with a nice side salad - both easy. Then for dessert you could get what your mom likes best or get something from a bakery where you could get small sized desserts - one for each person.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I'll be making my mom a cheesy meat loaf and new potatoes... it's a really good meatloaf recipe but there are some spices in it (like basil and stuff) so idk if you're sister would eat that... but if you're interested I can get you the recipe (you could always set some of the ground meat aside and make a plain little loaf for your sister lol)... let me know if you're interested!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't go crazy with fancy foods. The fact that you are spending the day with her is wonderful. The food is the bonus.

I'd make something "homey", like a roast beef, or roast chicken, or even pork chops with a mushroom sauce, or my meatloaf recipe!

Then load up the car and take everyone for ice cream

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm a big fan of quiches and frittatas. They're a lot easier than they seem, and assuming your sister eats eggs and cheese, should please everyone. (If you use potatoes in the "mix," prebake them for a short time before adding them.)

I might also ask your sister if *she* would like to bring something that she would eat. I'm mostly vegetarian, so I usually bring my own main course (enough to share in case anyone else is interested).

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your mom prides herself on her cooking, be sure not to make something that's a specialty of hers! You wouldn't want to risk outshining her.

I learned this the first time I made spaghetti for my folks...

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I'll be making my mom a cheesy meat loaf and new potatoes... it's a really good meatloaf recipe but there are some spices in it (like basil and stuff) so idk if you're sister would eat that... but if you're interested I can get you the recipe (you could always set some of the ground meat aside and make a plain little loaf for your sister lol)... let me know if you're interested!
I decided I am just going to get Swiss Chalet, my moms favourite restaurant. I would definitely like the recipe though, it sounds yummy.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

If your mom prides herself on her cooking, be sure not to make something that's a specialty of hers! You wouldn't want to risk outshining her.

I learned this the first time I made spaghetti for my folks...
My mom never really cooks so that wouldn't be a problem. She works like every day and so does my sister so they are never really home to cook.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Then load up the car and take everyone for ice cream
I like that idea.
Will definitely do that.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take out from the favorite place is often even better than making something! (I'd kill for an italian hoagie and milkshake from Le Bistro up in State College, PA!) I will definitely dig out the cookbook and post the cheesy meat loaf recipe for you tomorrow (I'm tired right now and I'll need to get it out tomorrow anyhow haha)

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm sorry that it's actually Mother's Day now and I'm just getting to post this lol... yesterday was very busy and I got up late to start it all, then went to a cooking demo/dinner/wine pairing so needless to say, afterwards it was best that I didn't post in a public forum haha

But here's the cheesy meatloaf recipe I'll be making for mom tonight... we've done it before and it's really good!

1 slightly beaten egg
3/4 cup soft rye bread crumbs (I just crumble 1 slice of whatever bread we've got)
3/4 cup shredded provolone or mozzarella cheese (3oz)
3 Tbsp beer, milk or water
2 Tbsp purchased basil pesto (I cut this to 1 Tbsp, because it can be overpowering)
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 pound lean ground beef (I assume you could use turkey too)
Sliced provolone or mozzarella (I actually use cheddar) - optional

1. In a large bowl stir together egg, bread crumbs, cheese, beer/water/milk, pesto, nutmeg, and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Form into a loaf; place in 8x4x3 inch loaf pan (note: GREASE THE PAN! haha, I just use cooking spray)

2. Bake in a 350*F oven for 45 - 50 minutes or until meat is done (160*F internal)

3. Transfer loaf to platter. If desired, diagonally halve slices of provolone/mozzarella/cheddar cheese. Place 3 cheese triangles on top of meat loaf. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.

Nutrition facts per serving (this is a total of 4 servings): 341 cal, 22g total fat (9g sat. fat), 141mg chol., 338mg sodium, 6g carbs, 1g fiber, 29g pro.

And to make sure this is all "legal" haha this recipe comes from page 162 of the Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Low-Carb Recipes copyright 2004