Cat Claw Covers

brookey326

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a friend that is interested in buying the cat claw covers, because her cat has recently started scratcing the carpet. Has anyone had any experience with these? If so any problems? Did they work, how long do they last? Are they uncomfortable for the cat?

Thank you

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am assuming you are talking about the Soft Paws nail caps. Many people in here have had good success with them. I've never used them as I just keep nails cut on my cats

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
They are called Soft Paws (or Soft Claws, same thing)... I get mine through ebay (the store is called thecatandkittenstore) for about $17 and that includes shipping and a free toy and they have a good color selection and all the sizes... Oliver is 15 pounds and wears mediums... the set includes 40 caps and glue, personally, I don't use the glue that comes with them because I find it doesn't work that well (who knows how long it has sat in the package), I use regular super glue or human "fake nail" glue... once you put the caps on, they will basically last until the nail naturally sheds and they will fall off, so you'd clip the fresh nail growth and re-apply... they last about a month on average (this is where using better glue helps, I found Oliver was able to remove the caps with the glue that comes in the package)... at first, the kitty will try to bite of the caps and/or shake his paws a lot, but he'll get used to them... I try to distract Oliver after I apply them by playing with him or giving him treats... also, I usually put Oliver in his kitty PennState t-shirt or his harness when I apply them - he's a really good boy, but turns into a wiggle worm at soft paw time, so putting him in one of those kinda makes him slinky and he stops wiggling and I leave him in it for about 5 minutes after the application so the glue dries well... I also keep an eye on his paws in general - sometimes the nail sheath doesn't fall off in a timely manner and the nail and cap will start to grow like under the paw... in this case, I just take his clippers and clip the cap/nail - sometimes the whole cap will come off right then, other times a little is still left on the remaining nail sheath and will fall off shortly after

Um, I suggest personally, starting with a set of clear caps - this helped me to get used to the proper amount of glue to put in each cap (you don't want to fill it completely or it will spill out and get in the toe fur) then I switched to nice blue caps

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's also generally a good idea to clip the sharp end off the claw before applying the cover. Just the very tip, mind you.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Oh yeah, haha, the simplest part and I didn't mention it haha... but yeah, I always clip his claws before applying lol
if you don't, that sharp claw will poke right thru the soft plastic.
here's a pic of Java wearing them. i prefer the colored ones, so it's easier to see when one has fallen off... [i need to reapply the ones on my cats!]

momoftwogirls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use them on my girls... I love them, they are great. I have leather furniture and also a screened lanai so they need to have them on.... the kittens are still too little for them so I just trim the nails.. I too give treats before and after application, but they know what mommy is up to when she is on the couch with treats for them
One thing I do have to say and I am not sure if others have the same problem, but sometimes the nail does not come off with the natural shedding of the nails, so I have to cut them off, not sure what causes this, so make sure your friend checks the nails often as to prevent them from growing too much..