I've never seen anything like this before...

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm talking about our really weird "spring" weather here in Minnesota. Usually, by this time of the year it's sunny and warm; everything looks so new and fresh, especially the flowering trees. It's just a beautiful and delightful time of the year.

But not this year. This "sring" has been colder than normal, and they even got large amounts of snow in northern MN recently. And btw, the fishing season opens here this weekend and I have heard that some of the northern lakes still have ice on them!!!!!

So instead of warm and sunny it's drab and dreary almost all the time. We had one good day (Tuesday) when the temp got up to about 75, and after that it just went downhill right away. Now the temps can barely make it into the low 60's. All the plant life is growing REALLY slowly, the trees are just barely starting to leaf out, and the flowers are finally starting to grow; the trees by my garage have buds on them but they haven't opened yet. The plant life really should be farther along by now.

I've asked my mon and some other older people about this weather, and they've never seen anything like it either so I'm really starting to wonder what kind of "summer" we're going to have here this year.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, the joys of Minnesota weather!

It was 83* here on Tuesday & then it dropped back down to the 50s, where its stuck for the remainder of the week, although yesterday did get up to 63*.

I've just learned to get used to it. I never pack away my winter or summer clothing because you just never know what the weather will be like when you wake up in the morning in Minnesota

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I agree - DH says we will jump right into summer with no real spring temps. The farmers are now just starting to plow/plant the fields in SW Minnesota.

We haven't even started our backyard veggie garden or have planted flowers yet. And I haven't got out the spring/summer clothes yet. We have a show next weekend (yard/garage sales this coming weekend), so maybe on May 24th I'll start transfering the winter to spring clothes!

They even mentioned that some lakes in the northern parts will still have some ice on them for fishing opener this Sunday!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ice on the lakes is crazy! It's cold & dreary here.... Farmers are just getting into the field & griping about the late start.

I'm running the corn stove for crying out loud!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, we've got the complete opposite over here! Usually it's cold and wet still, but it's getting up to 24C atm! I'm hoping this is news of a good summer to come

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Oh yes, the joys of Minnesota weather!

It was 83* here on Tuesday & then it dropped back down to the 50s, where its stuck for the remainder of the week, although yesterday did get up to 63*.
And it's going to only be in the 50's and low 60's all of next week too.

GoldenKitty: I don't have my summer clothing out yet either. I was going to do that this weekend, but now I think I'll wait just a little longer.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

I'm talking about our really weird "spring" weather here in Minnesota. Usually, by this time of the year it's sunny and warm; everything looks so new and fresh, especially the flowering trees. It's just a beautiful and delightful time of the year.

But not this year. This "sring" has been colder than normal, and they even got large amounts of snow in northern MN recently. And btw, the fishing season opens here this weekend and I have heard that some of the northern lakes still have ice on them!!!!!

So instead of warm and sunny it's drab and dreary almost all the time. We had one good day (Tuesday) when the temp got up to about 75, and after that it just went downhill right away. Now the temps can barely make it into the low 60's. All the plant life is growing REALLY slowly, the trees are just barely starting to leaf out, and the flowers are finally starting to grow; the trees by my garage have buds on them but they haven't opened yet. The plant life really should be farther along by now.

I've asked my mon and some other older people about this weather, and they've never seen anything like it either so I'm really starting to wonder what kind of "summer" we're going to have here this year.
Blame it on that global warming.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being a weather geek (I have my town bookmarked on NOAA.org)!! The current outlook for both WI & MN 90 days out is above ave precipation and below ave temps short term.
This website has a link to the climate prediction center which has short range and long range info. The spring/summer of 2006 was colder and wetter than usual-I don't think we had a day over 90F all that summer. Which is ok by me!!

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it doesn't have to be above 90, but some warmth would be nice!
And we could use some
too.

I was watching the Twin Cities news this morning and one thing that was mentioned was that for last year's fishing opener the high was 87 and this year the high will be about 60...and of course, it's going to
(rain).

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have rain right now in SW side. I'd rather it be on the cool side then too hot, but come on - would like to get some summer stuff out. I may have to re-think what I'm wearing for dinner tonite (Mother's Day).

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think spring has finally arrived and this time it's for real!!!
Wooohooooo!!!!!!!!