a yorkton church

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took this last year..but you should see this...its st mary's ukrainian catholic church

this is the dome inside...

a closer view

painted dome..beautiful isn't it?
This is inside the dome of the church . The painting covers the entire dome and has a curvature of over 62 feet. Stephen Meush did the painting and it took him from september of 1939 till May 1941 to complete it. The top of the dome is 55 feet from the floor. The curvature required that the central figures, and the 157 angels and cherubs surrounding htem be painted in a distored manner so that from the floor level they would appear to be on a flat plane.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That is amazing! I love those painted ceilings. It's incredible how much work goes into painting one.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By Yorkton, you mean in Saskatchewan?

Anyway, that church is AMAZING. I've never been to Yorkton but now I want to, just to see that church!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mistressotdark

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Moz

By Yorkton, you mean in Saskatchewan?

Anyway, that church is AMAZING. I've never been to Yorkton but now I want to, just to see that church!
yes...
its 155 catherine street, yorkton saskatchewan ...if I remember correctly

its a fantastic church...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
gorgeous! they just don't built things [churches or anything] like that anymore!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I love even more than the painting is the circle of windows around it! Just imagine the effects you'd get as the sun moves across!