As I opened up my blinds....I was hit in the face with CUTENESS!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awwww...I know!!! <3333
Hey...does anyone know why there is only one yellow duckling?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
So very cute!

The one yellow one is probably do to how genetics work... I remember a little from high school AP Bio where we made these squares (I wanna say they're called Punnet Squares? Anyone know? lol) to predict all of the possible outcomes for the offspring of 2 parents... the yellow gene may be a double recessive (ie: the baby must get that specific gene from both mommy and daddy to turn out that color and not just one or the other) Maybe that will be the one to turn out as the beautiful swan! hehe

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is an unbelievable amount of cuteness right there!!!!

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

So very cute!

The one yellow one is probably do to how genetics work... I remember a little from high school AP Bio where we made these squares (I wanna say they're called Punnet Squares? Anyone know? lol) to predict all of the possible outcomes for the offspring of 2 parents... the yellow gene may be a double recessive (ie: the baby must get that specific gene from both mommy and daddy to turn out that color and not just one or the other) Maybe that will be the one to turn out as the beautiful swan! hehe
Yeah kinda like the story of the ugly duckling. Also, it was so cute cuz when Mom finnally coaxed them into the water the lil yellow guy was 2nd to last to take the plunge! It was sooo adorable!

I'm glad you all liked the pix! <3

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Haha, the yellow one just seems to have this tude about him like "oh, I am so beautiful! No one else is like me... yes, adore me! Don't hate me because I am beautiful!" And for some reason, in my head, that baby duck has a French accent when he says that HAHAHA

This makes me think of my second grade teacher... she told us this story that I'll always remember: her son was driving down a local road one day and someone hit a duck in front of him and just drove off... the duck was hurt but not badly, so her son stopped and scooped the duck into his back seat to take home and nurse to health... the duck recovered just fine and took their backyard as her new home. She found a hubby and they made themselves comfortable during the warm months... for years and years they kept coming back: roosting in the Tanner's yard where they ate and laid eggs/raised their young and then heading next door for a dip in the neighbor's olympic sized pool... I wonder if they still come around or if any of her babies ever came back there to live...

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
HAHAHA oh I love it! Yes, you can tell he knows he's something!
I can't wait to see this lil family tomorrow. Sadly, in the pond lives a few carp. They are known to grab the ducking's feet and pull them under. I really hope the yellow one will be the stronger and live.

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone has a different Daddy, LOL. Ummmm when I was in school I helped in a graduate study "forced copulation as an alternative mating strategy. This involved being in a swamp at 3 am in the morning. ugh!

Female mallards will do what is called persistent quacking when she is in laying mode. The last male to copulate with her will fertilize that egg. Mallards pair bond and a female will not willingly mate with a male other than her mate. Males will protectively guard their females when she is off the nest to feed.

Unpaired male will hound pairs and sometimes gang up to over power the male and mate with a fertile female. These males have no change to mate so they use forced copulation as their only reproductive strategy. We also found paired males using this technique when their females were on the nest.

So little yellow guy likely is the mail man's kid.

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
^^ Wow, thx for the interesting info! Since moving into this condo I have really taken an interest in Mallard ducks. Hehe....childhood revamped I guess cuz when I was way little I LOVED ducks in fact my mom told me my first word was "duck" instead of mommy.

Anywhooo....here's an update on this batch of ducklings. Sadly, mom is down to 6 ducklings now.