Are cats really psychic?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard people say they are but I just don't know. I'm aware cats can sense emotions, pick up vibes and what not. I believe they can have mental bonds with people. Popsie and I have one. What are your opinions.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are very psychic. When I've passed my (many) kidney stones, and laid on the floor, writhing in pain, Cleo and Maggie never left my side. When I had Bronchitis last week, Cleo and Lola snuggled me and kept me company and kept me warm. I've had a migraine since Tuesday, and the girls have been hovering around me, as if they want to try to help. They're my sweet little furry nurses, for Nurses Week!!!

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember hearing some new comentary about this cat who lived in a nursing home and when one of the residents were ready to pass on this cat would be found right next to them.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I dont know if I would call them psychic as much as I would say they have very good intuition and understand us as a part of their family and daily lives. They know how we usually act and can sense when we are not well... I know when I was exhausted or in pain from the lupus Dinah was at my side the whole way...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

I dont know if I would call them psychic as much as I would say they have very good intuition and understand us as a part of their family and daily lives. They know how we usually act and can sense when we are not well... I know when I was exhausted or in pain from the lupus Dinah was at my side the whole way...
I was thinking that also. I remember once when I was walking down the stairs at home I slipped and landed on my tailbone, then thumped the rest of the way down on my butt. As I layed there moaning on the living room floor in pain Popsie ran up to me and gave me the sweetest, inqusitive meow like asking, "are you OK mommy?" It made me laugh and I said, "yes baby, mommy will be fine." After that he walked off.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dear little RB kitty Fred always knew when I was happy or sad. If I was happy, he had a little happy dance, turning in circles and meowing cheerfully until I picked him up and danced a little with him, or if I was sad or sick, he was right there with me. He was acting funny one night like he wanted me to go to bed. He cried and meowed until I did, and sat on my pillow and rubbed my head with his paw. 2 hours later I woke up in such pain I thought I was going to die. I did not want to wake my SO, so Fred jumped on him and ran screaming into the living room where I had gone. He took me to the hospital and found out I had my first kidney stone. When they released me, my SO tucked me in, went and got my meds, then I insisted he go to work. He worked less than a mile away, so he went on, leaving a window open. When I woke up 18 hours later Fred was still sittil on my pillow leaning against the wall, but refusing to sleep until he knew I was ok. I asked why the window was open, he said he figured Fred would come get him if something went wrong.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I dont know if I would call them psychic as much as I would say they have very good intuition...
In many cases, depending on the kind of information being "transmitted," I think you're exactly right. But I've also seen other kinds of exchanges that just can't be explained by what I think of as intuition.

Or maybe intuition is just a mild version of a sense that, in its more highly developed forms, manifests as true psychic receptiveness? This is a fascinating field I'd love to study...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think they all are, but it probably occurs at the rate that it does with the human population, well, maybe more since they are much more open, I change that, it depends on their human and their relationship I would guess, if the cat gives a care or not! I think a lot of dogs are, they are very social with their humans and very loyal and many seek to be in tune and bond with their humans.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have to agree with this one too. Snowball has been in our home since my son brought him home as a tiny 2 month old kitten 16 1/2 years ago. He knows me and my habits so well that he almost seems to be reading my mind.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

My dear little RB kitty Fred always knew when I was happy or sad. If I was happy, he had a little happy dance, turning in circles and meowing cheerfully until I picked him up and danced a little with him, or if I was sad or sick, he was right there with me. He was acting funny one night like he wanted me to go to bed. He cried and meowed until I did, and sat on my pillow and rubbed my head with his paw. 2 hours later I woke up in such pain I thought I was going to die. I did not want to wake my SO, so Fred jumped on him and ran screaming into the living room where I had gone. He took me to the hospital and found out I had my first kidney stone. When they released me, my SO tucked me in, went and got my meds, then I insisted he go to work. He worked less than a mile away, so he went on, leaving a window open. When I woke up 18 hours later Fred was still sittil on my pillow leaning against the wall, but refusing to sleep until he knew I was ok. I asked why the window was open, he said he figured Fred would come get him if something went wrong.
That`s such a sweet story!
You two must have had a great bond.

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Me and Tom have that kind of bond to. I noticed it early on in our relationship and was amazed at how quickly it developed. When ever me and my girl used to fight over the internet I would get very upset(mostly mad) and Tom, despite feeling how mad I was, would always sit right down on my stomach and chest and purr his little throat out and stair in my eyes until I calmed down. Something about having a purring cat laying on you and that kind of eye contact rally calms a person quickly. Then a few months after I got him I started to get sick alot and went though a period of time where I was throwing up about 2-4 times a week(surgery related) and I would always shut the door and throw up in the toilet(I was afraid of getting sick on him, thats why the door was shut). Anyway I would be getting sick and he would be trying to rip the door of the hinges with his two front paws. When I eventually opened the door he would come rushing in and would sit there mowing at me and looking up at me with very big worried eyes. He still does that, every time I get sick he wants to be in there but i'm to worried about getting sick on him that I still keep the door shut. This past week I had mild food poisoning and was on the toilet A LOT and he, despite the horrid smells coming out of me, would sit right behind the toilet and be ready for pettings when I needed comforting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

Me and Tom have that kind of bond to. I noticed it early on in our relationship and was amazed at how quickly it developed. When ever me and my girl used to fight over the internet I would get very upset(mostly mad) and Tom, despite feeling how mad I was, would always sit right down on my stomach and chest and purr his little throat out and stair in my eyes until I calmed down. Something about having a purring cat laying on you and that kind of eye contact rally calms a person quickly. Then a few months after I got him I started to get sick alot and went though a period of time where I was throwing up about 2-4 times a week(surgery related) and I would always shut the door and throw up in the toilet(I was afraid of getting sick on him, thats why the door was shut). Anyway I would be getting sick and he would be trying to rip the door of the hinges with his two front paws. When I eventually opened the door he would come rushing in and would sit there mowing at me and looking up at me with very big worried eyes. He still does that, every time I get sick he wants to be in there but i'm to worried about getting sick on him that I still keep the door shut. This past week I had mild food poisoning and was on the toilet A LOT and he, despite the horrid smells coming out of me, would sit right behind the toilet and be ready for pettings when I needed comforting.
Awww, they love us even during our worst moments.

kerry'n'ben

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats often freak me out. Sometimes when I am sat with them on the sofa feeding them treats or snuggling them they both stop and sit bolt upright turning their heads really slowly and both stare at the stairs for ages. I think they can sense things we cant. Also if it is going to thunder or something they go mad and run literally up the walls for about an hour before, then they settle with me and my fella when the thunder starts.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost without fail, Joey will go about the house mrreowling in a heartbroken way, in his futile search for my grandson, and later on, I will find that my grandson was sick with fever, or mistreated by his dad again, or having trouble with bullies in school, etc. Now, my grandson lives about 400 miles away - yet has this emotional bond with Joey.....That's what I cannot explain, except for intuition

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For anyone who doubts that cats can "sense" things, here's my experience: We had an earthquake in the middle of the night a short while vack (it was in the news) and two days before the earthquake Beauty was lying perfectly relaxed on the stairs, suddenly jumped up with a howl, charged through to my brother's room (howling as she went - usually if my brother's in his room she avoids going in there) and dived under the upstairs television and wouldn't budge for a few hours.