Eye problem, ulcer, any advice?

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, my poor little kitty has a bad eye. We noticed the other night and he went to the vet the next day and he has been given Tiacil, an opthalmic solution. He had the dye and the ultraviolet light and that is what vet prescribed. I was at work but my bf took him, thing is I wasn't there to ask any questions and I am quite anxious to get an idea of how serious this is and quickly it could heal. He is a domestic longish hair. He is in good spirits, playing and isn't showing any signs of pain, no squinting or rubbing. His eye is discoloured, darker, and looks like it could be slightly swollen. I am giving him the Tiacil in drops three times a day and he is brilliant with letting me do it, bless him. Has anyone elses cat had this? Could I have prevented this? It could have been a scratch or sting or something? I love my little boy so much, any advice or info from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only experience I have with cat eyes and ulcers is from the herpes virus - something very common among cats. I think you should call the vet with your follow-up questions, and ask what they thought the cause of the ulcer was, and when you should expect to begin seeing improvement in the eye, and if a follow-up visit is required, and if so, when?

Our kitty didn't display any problems with her eye either (Flowerbelle - the little white one). Ate, played like normal, no rubbing, etc. She was rescued with very advanced stages of the problem, and we fought for 7 months, but finally elected to have her eye removed. There are many others on here who have had to deal with ulcers on the eyes from herpes, and when caught soon enough, it can be treated with meds.

But, of course, there are other things that can cause eye ulcers, so you really just need to ask your vet what they thought was the cause.

it heals up real quick with no complications!

Oh - one last thing. If it is herpes, talk to your vet about a lysine supplement for your kitty. It really makes a difference in their ability to fight the virus.

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks LDG for the advice, he has another appointment on Monday with the vet and we are both going this time. I will find out and if they aren't sure what the problem was would they check for herpes or would I need to request it? I will ask them to test for it anyway I think. Is there anything else I should ask them to check for? I just want him to be well and happy. I can't believe how much I love my little boy! I really appreciate your advice, its so nice to have support on this site, it really is. Many thanks

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think they checked for it - but I don't know what the eye ulcer looks like. Could have been something obvious to them. The good news is that your kitty is tolerating the eye drops without hassle - and you're back there Monday, so you can ask away then! He'll be fine until then, especially as it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all.

Laurie

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just took in a foster kitty a week ago who had an eye injury. It was very cloudy/white and he was going to be euthanized at animal control because of it. I took a chance on him since it didn't seem to bother him and he's a real sweetheart. The vet did a stain and said it was from an injury to the cornea. He looked at the white part of the eye above the coloured part (the iris) and noticed that there were a lot of blood vessels visible--he said this was a good sign as it meant the body was feeding the area with blood to heal it (the cornea has no blood supply of its own).

He also gave me some drops (Sandoz Tobramycin 0.3%) to administer 3x a day for a week. It's been a week as of today and his eye is almost completely healed, just a small white spot left

Good vibes for your kitty!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks spookzilla!! Thats reassuring as my kitty has visible blood vessels in his eye and my bf said that the vet noticed it too and said it was good sign! He has only been on the drops a couple of days so hopefully we will see an improvement too!! Thankyou for your advice and sharing your experience, its comforting! I now have some good questions for the vet on monday!! I think I am far more concerned than my fluffy little boy!!

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should also mention that the kitty (Herbert) came in to animal control with the eye injury and he was probably there about a week before I rescued him so we don't know how long ago the injury happened. (They didn't do anything for him at animal control.) It started showing obvious improvement about 4 days after I started the eye drops but I don't know how long post injury that was. But I imagine your kitty will get better soon!

I also worry terribly about my 'crew', probably moreso than about my own health

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been doing the drops three times a day for a week now and his eye looks a lot better. I am so pleased, he has been a little angel, letting me put the drops in. He is still in good spirits, playing and catching mice and helping me dig the garden
He is obsessed with watching the fish in the pond, bless him. I feel so close to him, he really trusts me. Am going to find out about his weight and he will have his injection and overall health. He's a muscly little chap, nowhere near fat, its all the running around and climbing trees that he does! I will update after visit case anyones interested!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

I have been doing the drops three times a day for a week now and his eye looks a lot better. I am so pleased, he has been a little angel, letting me put the drops in. He is still in good spirits, playing and catching mice and helping me dig the garden
He is obsessed with watching the fish in the pond, bless him. I feel so close to him, he really trusts me. Am going to find out about his weight and he will have his injection and overall health. He's a muscly little chap, nowhere near fat, its all the running around and climbing trees that he does! I will update after visit case anyones interested!
Of course we are interested.
He sounds like a sweet cat and that he is very loved by you. I'm pleased that he's doing better and look forward to the vet's take on how he's doing.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Yosemite, He shall be there in less than an hour and at present I am looking at a seemingly content, unsuspecting little kitty
Poor boy won't be too chuffed when the kitty basket comes out
. I have written down all my questions so that I don't forget anything!

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's back from the vet! His eye is clearing up well but we are going to do another week of antibiotic drops, the vet said it should have cleared up by then. It looks a lot better but the colour of his eye has changed? He had his injection, and he was so good. I don't go in if there are dogs in there as it is upsetting for him so he went straight in which is good. His claws are great, he trims them when he is climbing trees. He is 4kg, a perfect weight the evt said, I am so pleased. I can also give him his worming tab which is due tomorrow, bless his heart! Thanks for all the advice and support it really meant a lot. Kitty is now laid out on the floor looking very calm and sweet!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Althekitty

He's back from the vet! His eye is clearing up well but we are going to do another week of antibiotic drops, the vet said it should have cleared up by then. It looks a lot better but the colour of his eye has changed? He had his injection, and he was so good. I don't go in if there are dogs in there as it is upsetting for him so he went straight in which is good. His claws are great, he trims them when he is climbing trees. He is 4kg, a perfect weight the evt said, I am so pleased. I can also give him his worming tab which is due tomorrow, bless his heart! Thanks for all the advice and support it really meant a lot. Kitty is now laid out on the floor looking very calm and sweet!
Aw, that's great. Give him some extra loving from us TCS folks. Thanks for keeping us in the know.