Pregnant Sphynx??

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I have been lurking and reading for quite some time and finally joined today. This is a great site with a wealth of information. My female sphynx, I thought was five weeks pregnant. Her nipples are pink and they have begun sord of hanging. They have a lump about the diameter of a dime underneath them. I thought this meant they are preparing for milk. However, yesterday my other female was playing with her, nipping at her neck and she assumed the position, if you know what I mean. Hind end up and starting treading. My male watched all of this from the couch and never got up, was absolutely, not interested in her at all. Will females that are pregnant still exhibit this behaivor or does this mean she isn't pregnant or possible is having a false pregnancy. I have been counting down the days and now I think I may have gotten my hopes up for nothing. Thanks for any help you may have.

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does she "look" pregnant or just the nipples? My advice is to take her to the vet to find out for sure. Cats can still be in HEAT while pregnant. Issue with becoming pregnant after being pregnant is that when she goes into labor with the kittens that are ready, the ones that were not ready are expelled at the same time and do not make it.

I suggest you separate the cats and take the one you think is pregnant to the vet for some answers!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, did not know that..... I will take her to the vet to confirm. Her belly was looking rounder from looking down on her and then the last couple of day its seems to have dropped and looks more like it is hanging more. Hard to explain, sorry. I will give my vet a call and separate them.

mommysmeows

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat that just had her kittens was semi the same. She was round and then right before she had them, her belly dropped and it was all hanging. lol. Around her nipples it became "fuller" and saggy, felt like actual boobs

From what you say, she sounds pregnant! - Only way to know for sure is to see the vet so you are doing the right thing!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not common (like in dogs) but she could be having a false pregnancy. Maybe take her to the vet for a scan to see if she has kittens in there or not.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 2 Devons, and my female has the dime sized glands in her breasts that show so easily. I think that symptoms of pregnancy in the bald ones should be much easier to see since they have no hair to hide anything. My female has sphynx in her and she's pretty much got no hair on her underbelly. I am pretty sure I will know if she's pregnant or not after 3 weeks post mating.

Do you have any pictures of her for us to view?

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm at work right now, (i know, I'm bad being on the computer). I will definantly get you some pics tonight. I have one male and two females. They are all extemely hairless and beautiful if I don't say so myself.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was trying earlier to take some pictures of Bonnie and her underside, but my camera is out of batteries and I don't have any laying around...have to get some tomorrow. I just wanted to show what her boobies looked like today...they're hot pink again. Not sure if she's pregnant or not...she WAS in heat and my boy has been trying, but I haven't witnessed a mating.

We are in the midst of selling our house and showing it to prospective buyers. We have to lock up the 5 cats in my sewing room downstairs so I'm sure that being locked in the same room for a couple hours each day gave Bonnie no room to hide. I have no choice though. My house must sell so I can move into the house we bought that's twice the size I have now....need it for more cats!! LOL

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lele

I'm at work right now, (i know, I'm bad being on the computer). I will definantly get you some pics tonight. I have one male and two females. They are all extemely hairless and beautiful if I don't say so myself.
Being bad for coming to TCS!
Never!

I own a Sphynx.
So you show these cats? Are they all intact?

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
cococat, how do you like your sphynx? I want one to add to my kitty family as they are truly unique animals. I don't think I would buy show or breeder quality, because I wouldn't be breeding the cat. I however, am having a hard time finding one anywhere close to me anyways. But, I don't necessarily NEED one right at the moment with moving and all....I'm just a crazy cat lady I guess!
Susan

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry didn't have time to get on last night. I actually do not show right now although my three Sphynx are all show quality and intact. I am just starting out breeding and have several mentors that are helping along the way. I have three kids ages 13, 10, 7 and 2 great dane (fixed, thank goodness, one boy one girl). Now do you know why I don't show. Where's the time....

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are nice looking Sphynx. Wish you had the pedigrees posted on your site.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

cococat, how do you like your sphynx? I want one to add to my kitty family as they are truly unique animals. I don't think I would buy show or breeder quality, because I wouldn't be breeding the cat. I however, am having a hard time finding one anywhere close to me anyways. But, I don't necessarily NEED one right at the moment with moving and all....I'm just a crazy cat lady I guess!
Susan
Crazy cat ladies will love Sphynx! They are clowns, they are active, they are in your face, they are demanding, affectionate, endearing, and friendly, outgoing and social. They are a hit with visitors and with the vet, I haven't met a shy one yet. Mine adores my dogs.
They require a lot of up keep for a cat. Weekly bath and ear cleaning, also you have to clean the gunk between their paws. And they shouldn't go outside and can't tolerate frontline and flea and tick products of that nature. If you are going to a breeder, be sure the cattery scans the hearts of their breeding cats before breeding for your kitten.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
cococat,

My devons are just like that...just crazy! And they also get regular ear cleanings...usually when they're sleeping on me or in my bed. Their nails haven't been dirty at all, but I do clip the nails as often as I can...again, when they are sleeping. I'm a stay at home mom, so it's easy for me to laze around with them, love them, feed them (often times too much LOL) I have 3 siamese as well, so I'm never lonely when I'm home! Bonnie has 1/4 sphynx in her and she's got so many qualities of a sphynx but with the devon face/mask. The other day I caught her sitting on TOP of my curtain rod in the kitchen!!! I am trying to sell this house and she went and bent the rods! She's not fat by any means (we call her Tube), but the rods are cheap!!! Anyway, I was able to fix the rods and supports. I wanted a picture so bad because I had a feeling nobody would believe me!

Since being in the location I am, finding a sphynx will be hard, but I am willing to wait. I am in no rush right now, and good things come to those who wait

tsarinanikol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow!

Really, I have never found the appearance of this breed complementary to my tastes.... however....... these cats are absolute beauties, I especially love the full blue.

Very lovely cats!! Good luck with your potentially preggo baby.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tsarinanikol

Really, I have never found the appearance of this breed complementary to my tastes...
Speaking from experience they are much different in person, make a different impression than pictures

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen them at shows, held them, petted them. They are cute (rex like personality) but I too want to pet fur - not skin

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never actually seen a Sphynx, but my daughter has, and she describes the feel of them as a warm peach. She wants one, but her daughter, 3, didn't like them. She told her mommy that cats should not be "nekkid."