Kittys and Cabinets

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to go out this weekend and buy baby locks for our kitchen and bathroom cabinets since the girls have learned to open them! DH found them playing in there! I have cleaners and stuff there that I don't want them getting into.

Do any of your kitties try to get into the cabinets? They can't get to the cabinet that we keep their dry kitten food in.... Luckily.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Charlie's notorious for cabinets - if you open them he usually is right there and sometimes on the higher shelves
One time recently he was in with the pots/pans - I thought he had come back out and pushed the little slide in shelf - well he let out a yell and came flying out - must have caught is foot or something - he was fine - nothing broken, but told him to "stay out of the cabinets"..

Also when we hang up our coats the cats (both of them) have to run in the closet and then we have to stop and chase them back out!

At least when Charlie gets closed in, he will answer you when you call him.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

Do any of your kitties try to get into the cabinets?
Oh yeah. An open cabinet is a kitty magnet. I watched Ichi once open the one under the sink in the kitchen, and all of a sudden 5 cats followed him in.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fluffy drives me nuts with the cabinets. She will push things out to make room for her to get comfy, and has broken many dishes. She will chew open the bags of bread and then use them for a pillow. The way my handles are, it is hard to close them off to her. She has gotten a little better lately, since they go out a little now.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i only have a couple of cabinets w/o the child locks... because otherwise the cats would open them, no question.
they open the ones they can - but there's nothing in those, unlike the 'locked' ones.

lovemycatswsq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quincy LOVES cabinets alittle too much lol. Not too long ago actually my roommate accidently closed him inside our Lazy Susanne. Quincy had snuck in when he had it open. We didn't realize he was in there until we heard him scratching on the door lol oops.

sparkleamato

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitties haven't figured out how to get in them yet, but I came out to the kitchen the other day, and Phillip was hiding ON TOP of the high cabinets!! They are running out of places to hide! Meowmy finds them every time hehe

princessrampage

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty likes to get under the kitchen sink... I just put an elastic around the knobs and that seems to be working. I have round knobs on my cabinets though so I guess it would depend on what kind you've got but it's cheap and it worked for me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by princessrampage

My kitty likes to get under the kitchen sink... I just put an elastic around the knobs and that seems to be working. I have round knobs on my cabinets though so I guess it would depend on what kind you've got but it's cheap and it worked for me
Mine don't have knobs at all... Right now, dh has put white duct tape on them

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few of our cats love getting into some of the cabinets.. every now and then we'll know they're trying to get inside, because we'll hear the doors slamming shut over and over and it starts to drive me nuts!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah! One of Chynna's favourite sleeping spots is in the pots cupboard. My under counter cupboards don't have sides separating them on the inside. One of the doors beneathe the sink closes, but not as tightly as the others. Chynna has figured out how to open it and she uses that as her gateway to the pots cupboard. So I try to leave that one cupboard open all of the time. Sometimes when I'm doing dishes the door gets closed, but Abby reminds me to open it by scratching at the part under the cupboard. Abby doesn't sleep in the cupboard but she sometimes goes in there to see if Chynna is there.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zekkie likes the bathroom cabinets. There aren't any knobs on them, and he likes to go in and lick the plastic wrap that the toilet paper comes in. He'll open them himself, but only wide enough to go in. Then I'll hear him banging to try to get out. I'd rather not install baby locks in my apartment (the landlord wouldn't appreciate it), so I'm stuck coaxing him out each time. He doesn't do that with the other cupboards--only the one with plastic wrap inside.