Easiest wet food to switch to from dry?

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm going to attempt again to start my obese kitty on wet food. She always turns up her nose at it so I'm hoping to narrow down some great options to try from those that have been through this with their cat. I know that I probably won't ever find a wet food that she is willing to just eat on her own, but I would like to use one that I know would be easier to transition her to before moving on to something healthier like Wellness. At this point even the poorest quality of wet food is an option since the point for now is only trying to get her used to the texture.

So, does anyone have any advice? Is there a canned food out there that people equate to "kitty crack" as I've often heard tuna called? Thanks in advance everyone!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've heard Fancy Feast called kitty crack... altho you can't prove it by my dry-only eaters!
good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i've heard Fancy Feast called kitty crack... altho you can't prove it by my dry-only eaters!
good luck!

Yep, tried that one and got the gag reflex. I just tried putting a little Natural Balance turkey on a whisker lickin's treat that she loves and still got the gag reflex. I tried the canned version of her dry food and no good either. That's why I'm posting here to see if there is a miracle can out there.
She does LOVE queso but I'm pretty sure there isn't a cat food version of that out there.

Thanks for the link Sharky!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about trying Merricks Thanksgiving Day Dinner or Granny's Pot Pie. My two love those but wouldn't touch any of the other wet foods I tried including the other flavours of Merricks.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avoderm select chicken chunks is one that Riley will gobble down every time. It has tiny bits of chicken, rather than large pieces like some of the pouches, and lots of gravy.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks AlleyGirl and Yosemite! I'll give them all a shot. Now if I can only find where to buy the Merrick's and Granny's pot pie.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

Thanks AlleyGirl and Yosemite! I'll give them all a shot. Now if I can only find where to buy the Merrick's and Granny's pot pie.
Granny's Pot Pie and Thanksgiving Day Dinner are 2 of the Merrick flavours. My kitties will only eat Merricks.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our cats turned their noses up at all the Merrick flavors
. However they love Natural Balance, Nature's Variety (especially rabbit flavor) & Eagle Pack Holistic Select
I stick to chicken, turkey, duck, lamb, venison & rabbit.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Granny's Pot Pie and Thanksgiving Day Dinner are 2 of the Merrick flavours. My kitties will only eat Merricks.
Originally Posted by Rone

Our cats turned their noses up at all the Merrick flavors
. However they love Natural Balance, Nature's Variety (especially rabbit flavor) & Eagle Pack Holistic Select
I stick to chicken, turkey, duck, lamb, venison & rabbit.
So, as you can easily see, it will be a matter of trial and error. I had to try about 10 different kinds before I found the Merrick flavours they would eat. Some cats prefer the pate type food, others like chunks - it will depend on your cat. I would talk to my local pet supply place, try to get about 2 cans of each type and ask them if they would take back any unopened cans. My store was very cooperative.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So, as you can easily see, it will be a matter of trial and error. I had to try about 10 different kinds before I found the Merrick flavours they would eat. Some cats prefer the pate type food, others like chunks - it will depend on your cat. I would talk to my local pet supply place, try to get about 2 cans of each type and ask them if they would take back any unopened cans. My store was very cooperative.
That's a great idea! I'm guessing she might like the chunks better than the pate since it has more texture than the pate. BTW, I've decided to officially wait until I get back from vacation on June 7th to start this. I don't want to get her started and then lose all the hard work when I go on vacation. In the meantime, I'm picking up cans of things to try as I find them.

rone

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

So, as you can easily see, it will be a matter of trial and error. I had to try about 10 different kinds before I found the Merrick flavours they would eat. Some cats prefer the pate type food, others like chunks - it will depend on your cat.
I agree. Our furry family members certainly train us well

Your kitty would only eat dry yes? First offer her a small amount of canned, if she doesn't touch after 30 min put a few pieces of dry food on top. Let her get used to the smell/texture. Some cats like their food soupy, or warmer instead of room temperature. Once you figure out what your cat's preferences are, it'll be down hill from there.

compmom42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm trying something similar with my fur babies. I have the fat cat/skinny cat syndrome with cats that eat exactly the same food. The fat cat (the black one in the photo - and yes the photo was taken when she was just a kitty) has always thrown up her food after eating. The vet said it would take thousands of dollars to find the problem, so I should just keep experimenting with food. Both cats are rescue kitties. The fat cat was raised on kibble and she thinks that is the only thing in the world to eat. The skinny cat must have had canned food as he thinks that is best. I tried just about every brand of canned in the world to tempt my girl, but she stalked off like I was trying to poison her. When I brought home various kibbles to try, my boy thought I had been digging in the trash can and refused to eat.
I finally settled on a Sensitive stomach kibble. The throwing up of the food lessened but didn't stop completely. I suspect my girl is allergic to wheat gluten. I've still had the fat cat/skinny cat thing going on through all of the trials. Just recently, I've seen more "natural" foods on the market. Right now I'm trying a Whiskas Natural as it has no mention of wheat gluten or corn meal gluten in the ingredient list. Both cats think it's the greatest thing in the world.
I'm still not sure this is the best food for them, but right now it's working and she isn't throwing it up.
So the moral to this is you will have to try and try again. And what works one day may not work the next.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On my way to raw which is where I am now. I tried many many different foods.All of my cats came from shelters and ate kibble. First I bought a better kibble. I bought wellness dry to get them used to a richer taste. Then I put a little tuna with some juice on it. Then I mixed some kibble with Natures Balance with some tuna juice. Then I stopped all kibble and put down only wet. I did start off with a turkey and salmon from Wellness. I tried Cowboy Cookout from Merrick which my cats liked. Nutro was a no go. I tried Paul Newman and my cats ALL thought that was a bad idea. California Naturals was a bomb as was Wysong. My cats stuck to Wellness. I recently tried Natures Variety to a good reception and even better was Weruva. Weruva is like shredded chicken in gravy. Evo is not a hit either. My cats like rich flavors. I noticed this more so since I do 80-90 percent raw. Halo stew was not for them but your cat may like it 'cause it has lumps.
Tiki cat ahi tuna is a great treat.
Personally I would try a quality tuna food to put on top to get the dry food lover interested.

I will tell you that my cats came to me with dry coats and now they shimmer. I have had no health problems(except for things from the shelter or once exposure to a sick stray), weight issues, dental issues or anything.
My cat survived distemper which the cat she got it from died quickly.
I am a strong believer in the power of a good wholesome food.

Good luck.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Avoderm select chicken chunks is one that Riley will gobble down every time. It has tiny bits of chicken, rather than large pieces like some of the pouches, and lots of gravy.
Well I tried this one last night and she still did her "nose in the air" gag face at it. I decided to put some on her lips to at least get her to taste it and at first she didn't know I had actually put it on there. As she walked away from me she licked her lips and turned and gave me the biggest "OMG I can't believe you put that on my face" look I've ever seen. I'm sorry that I made her mad but the look on her face was absolutely priceless!

CC12 - I like your idea and will give it a whirl. She has never liked tuna on it's own but maybe a little juice on her S/D will be okay with her. I can then try tuna related wet foods from there.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I knew the answer!

Abby used to be a svelt active kitty. But in the last 4 years she's put on so much weight. She is only a dry food eater. She doesn't like canned food, and she's never been a people food eater....just dry cat food.

She's almost 10 years old and has slowed down which has made it much worse.

I've been trying to get her to eat wet. On occasion she lets me know that she wants some "Fancy Feast Grilled Salmon". But when I put it out she will lick the gravy and take a few bites and that's it. She won't eat a full portion.

One day about a month ago she went to Chynna's plate of left over Friskies watered down beef, and finished it up. But to give her her own portion she just scratches the floor and buries it.

I will be talking to the vet about a weight control dry, because she definitely needs to lose weight!

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Natalie_ca - It sounds like we're in the exact same boat as my tubby cat is also 10 years old...today in fact! Happy Birthday Aussie!

Keep me posted on what your vet has to say. I'm talking to mine as well and will report back too.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
One canned food I've had a lot of luck with is Almo Nature, but it has only recently become available in North America. There's an address for the Canadian headquarters here: http://www.almonature.co.uk/company_aboutus.php?lng=3

Have you tried Solid Gold? Their tuna is one of the few canned foods Jamie will eat.

Also, and I know this might sound strange, but avoid pouches and large cans for the time being, and try small 2 or 3 oz. cans. Food is heated/cooked in the cans, and the shorter the heating time, the tastier the food (that information was obtained from an engineer in the pet food industry).

compmom42

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Laureen, not yet. I live in a large suburban area and you would think finding more "natural" and grain free would be easy. I get pretty bored standing in Petco or Petsmart (my only options other than the grocery store) reading all the ingredients. The supposed natural ones from the major stores, my cats think is awful and stomp away or start covering it immediately. I've never even seen some of the brands mentioned here in our stores.

Sometimes I think I would love to go with raw food, but finding a source is tough. My local stores don't seem interested.

Sounds like I'm going to have to do some research.

dotty