My almost 18 year old kitty

bluemandie4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, so I have an almost 18 year old cat names Scruffy. She use to eat normally, use the littler box normally, meowed in the morning A LOT, and would run crazily around the house at least every other day. Then about a week ago, she just stopped eating (she eats a little once a day), stopped running around, stop meowing like usual (she only did it in the mornings with my dad), she uses the litter box still, and she sleeps a lot more. Well, she's always has been a little thing, probably the runt of the litter, but now she's just fur and bones. Yesturday she peed and poo-ed on the floor and she started to smell so we gave her a bath and that's when I could really see how skinny she really was. She has about 3 inches of fur on her back, so it's hard to see. So what I'm asking is what is going on? Is she just slowly dying or is she sick? She sometimes goes outside, but just stays next to the front door and maybe goes at the most 3 feet away from it. Thanks!

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your cat needs to see a vet asap. For her to do a drastic turnaround like that is not normal, and at her age could possibly lead to death. There could be a number of things causing what's going on - a vet should be the one to diagnose it, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluemandie4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much, we've called the vet, and they said that her organs are probably failing and that's why she isn't eating and since she's not eating she doesn't have the energy to run around anymore.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be her teeth too.

Chynna, who is 16 years, recently had a dental done to extract most of her teeth. She had one really bad tooth that was causing her pain and she couldn't eat much. She lost weight and was constantly meowing because she was hungry but couldn't eat because of her sore mouth.

Since she had her teeth extracted, she's back to eating and being a happy kitty and even having kitten moments.

Now this might not be the issue with your kitty, and it might in fact her multi organ failure, but it wouldn't hurt to take her to the vet and have them investigate if it's something like her teeth causing her problems.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also recommend a vet visit rather than just a phone discussion with them. They need to see the cat to evaluate it. If her organs are in shutdown, she is in pain. Cats are great at hiding pain (low on the food chain). Please take her to a vet for a diagnosis.

hapinowagain

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last year, my 16 year old cat had a lot of the same symptoms. When I took her to the vet he even discovered that she had gone blind!!!! He said cats are great at hiding symptoms. He tried a few medications, but she continued to get worse. So, I had to make the decision to put her down. It broke my heart, but I did not want her to suffer.

batgirl2good

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueMandie4

Thank you so much, we've called the vet, and they said that her organs are probably failing and that's why she isn't eating and since she's not eating she doesn't have the energy to run around anymore.
I am so sorry. When will you find out for sure?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would still go to the Vet and get Blood Tests. It could be Crf or something else. My and Coco got very thin Sick when she was 9 and the Vet saved her. She is now 16.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's been sick for awhile. Cats can hide their pain or weight loss for awhile. I'd take her into the vets ASAP and find out if she is close to Rainbow Bridge. It could be diabetes, it could be cancer. Then you have to make the decision on how much you want to put into her medically and if its worth it.

If she is close to death or doesn't have a good outlook, then it may be best to put her to sleep before she suffers anymore.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BlueMandie4

I would have a vet physically check your cat out. Preferably a different one that told you her organs were failing. A good vet would have told you to bring her in not just give you some guess over the phone. I hope everything goes well.

bluemandie4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will bring her to the vet, try to get her in tomorrow, thanks by the way! What is CRF? Everyday I go and pet her (she sleeps on the guest bed a lot), I just start crying, I don't want to lose her, she's been there to sleep with me everytime I was sick or hurt. Anytime I was sad, I would go and pet her, even though she doesn't trust me all that much since I would dress her up in doll clothes when I was little, but she's still my baby. Well, before I start crying to much, I better end this. I'll keep you updated! THANKS AGAIN!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
CRF = chronic renal failure many of us have lots of experience with it ...

BLOOD work called a senior panel with thyroid also

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, sharky is right, a senior panel is very important. Please let us know how it goes OK. Hang in there.

bluemandie4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you again! I have an appointment on Monday for my kitty. She's still kind of fiesty, which is always good, she will will give me her famous evil glare (I didn't do the nicest things to her when I was younger), and she still pulls away when I touch her back feet (she hates her back feet being touched), so lets hope for the best.