Suggestions for a cat that HATES grooming?

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I have a foster kitty that HATES to be brushed or combed. He will let me brush his face a few times but if I do it too much or try to brush his back he swats and hisses at me. Unfortunately he has some tats in his fur that need to come out. Any ideas? Or should I just take him to a groomer and let them do the dirty work? He's already been through a lot and I don't want to stress him out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I'd keep working with him. He has to learn that you will not hurt him and that grooming is required (I'm assuming this is a longhair). Try a few treats and just do a little at a time - praise him and give him a treat when he's good.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My long hairs dont like to be brushed either (but theyre getting better!) I would suggest getting a pack of treats (mine love feline greenies or Temptations with the chicken flavor inside) and brush as much as you can until he starts growling, then stop and pet him until he starts to pur and give him a few treats (so he doesnt get the treats when he's grumpy) and then take a little break and start again. Good luck!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spookzilla

Hi all,

I have a foster kitty that HATES to be brushed or combed. He will let me brush his face a few times but if I do it too much or try to brush his back he swats and hisses at me. Unfortunately he has some tats in his fur that need to come out. Any ideas? Or should I just take him to a groomer and let them do the dirty work? He's already been through a lot and I don't want to stress him out.
Take him to a good groomer...they will know how to comb him out quickly, without fussing around too much.

Then when he is fully combed out you can just get him used to it by degrees...bring out the comb\\brush, and run it along his face, or whatever he will sit for, and quit before he gets mad...he will eventually go longer and longer before 'flipping' out, because his reward, in this case, is the release...you releasing the pressure (brushing) BEFORE he can react...it takes timing though, and knowing how to 'read a cat's' behavior before it really happens. If you quit when he is hissing and swatting, that engrains the behavior, but if you quit while he is calm, he learns that it's not so bad and that you aren't going to push him too far.
Good luck!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's all great advice, thank-you! Yes he is long haired, I had the vet shave his belly when he was in getting dental work done since I knew there was NO WAY I would get at those knots.

I'll try the treats with him, unfortunately he doens't have many teeth left so it will have to be some small ones.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, you really need to be using a comb rather then a brush (unless the brush has longer teeth). Regular brushes won't do anything for a longhair coat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I tried giving Waggles a few treats earlier and he LOVED them! (I haven't been giving him any since his dental work. In case anyone is interested, Max Cat makes really tiny bowtie shaped treats that don't require any chewing
)
I combed him with one hand and gave him a few treats in the other--I actually got quite a bit of hair off his back and even started loosening out a tat on his butt. I stopped before he figured out what I was doing

I'll keep at it!