I have a ?

brandi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens are now 6 weeks old...Sadie isnt doing anything with them any more--Shes not nursing, not cleaning and for the most part she stays as far away from them as possible If I take them out of the room to play with them she doesnt call for them and when I let her out she doesnt want anything to do with them--shes hissing at them they all eat solid food and use the litter box...I know I should keep them until between 10 and 12 weeks but how long is it ok for her to go on like this with them? From time to time she will lick their little heads but she doesnt want anything else to do with them if they approach her she smacks them growls and hisses at them. I dont want her to hurt them but I dont want to send them to their new homes too soon...I need some advice. Thanks in advance!

Edited to add the Vet will NOT spay her or them until 8 weeks old for the kittens.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had the same problem with mine! Sophie stays as far away from them as she can now so I kept them together until they were 8 weeks old. Since 2 of my kitties are going to the same home I'm going to give them to their new owner tomorrow. The other two i'm not sure If I can find them a home together they will go at 8 weeks but if not then I will keep them until 10 weeks. Sophie pretty much stopped mothering them when they were about 5 1/2 weeks old and completely stopped when they were about 7 weeks.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeko cut Yoshi off at 8 Weeks but she still took care of him. Coco I had to pull Kittens off her. I Kept one and she would still Nurse at 6 Months. Last Nov I got Oreo when she was 3 Months and I caught her on Coco even though Coco is 16. I think it depends on the Moms.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Brandi

My kittens are now 6 weeks old...Sadie isnt doing anything with them any more--Shes not nursing, not cleaning and for the most part she stays as far away from them as possible If I take them out of the room to play with them she doesnt call for them and when I let her out she doesnt want anything to do with them--shes hissing at them they all eat solid food and use the litter box...I know I should keep them until between 10 and 12 weeks but how long is it ok for her to go on like this with them? From time to time she will lick their little heads but she doesnt want anything else to do with them if they approach her she smacks them growls and hisses at them. I dont want her to hurt them but I dont want to send them to their new homes too soon...I need some advice. Thanks in advance!

Edited to add the Vet will NOT spay her or them until 8 weeks old for the kittens.
I think she's in the stage where she's trying to teach them how to get along without her. It looks harsh, the way they do it, but she's really just trying to teach them that mommy isn't always going to be there. I don't think she'll hurt them, it's just what they do. It's okay to keep them around, this is actually a learning process.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when I had my first mum and kittens, they had got to the stage where mum hated them, so I left something in the room that she could climb up, but they couldn't so she could get some time out. The second mum was happy for them to lay with her, but not bothered if one never did.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom may be coming back into heat and that is why she doesn't want to be around the kittens.

I'd start getting them to eat canned kitten food with KMR now. Usually my kits would be eating around 5-6 weeks old. Continue to keep them together as they will learn important social skills with each other. Still plan on rehoming them at 10-12 weeks old.