The day started out so good...

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got a fabulous email this morning from my friend Laura...

Our friend Jose, who has been in Iraq for the past 9 months as Special Forces (that means they not only go to the dangerous places, they do all those raids on terrorist strongholds...you know, the ones with high casualty rates) called her today STATESIDE!
Made me smile all morning knowing that he is home safe again. This was his 4th Tour. SF don't go for the typical 12-14 month tours because of the nature of what they do. But up until now, his tours have only been about 6 months tops, so this was a long one.

Then I come home for lunch and as I'm driving back....oh no...flat tire. OK, I can do this... Um...nope, guess not. But neither could a very nice guy who tried to help, my husband, or the tow truck guy. Couldn't get the hub cap off to remove the
tire. So I was 1/2 hour late getting back to work because thankfully Earl was on his way home anyway. So $87 for the tow truck (we'll get reimbursed) and over $300 in tires, I have a car again. There went a chunk of that tax rebate.

Get back from running a couple errands and I get a phone call from Mike, who does a LOT for our shooting program. He had some scoping tests done today to find out what's wrong, and his stomach is almost completely blocked. Blocked bad enough that they couldn't get the scope actually into his stomach. That's why he's lost about 50 pounds and is weak as a kitten.
He will have surgery probably in the next week. I really wasn't encouraged by his attitude, he said "I hope I can recover from this." I said, "Mike, you have to have faith - you will get past this!" "Well, I hope I can..."
I know how powerful TCS vibes are, and Mike sure could use some right now.

I think I'm going to go to bed before something even worse happens... And the day started out SO good, and I'm still so thrilled that Jose is home, but the situation with Mike sure puts a damper on that happiness.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Ok - lots of that tomorrow is better than today.

Lots of that your friend Mike gets better.

And even more for your friend Jose to make it home safe and sound.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry it turned out bad, But hey it started out good.

by the way dont feel bad. I once had a flat , and with me standing and jumping on it, We could not get the nuts off the tire.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news for one of your friends and sending vibes for the other!!

Bummer about the tire. I have 71,000 on the truck tires and HAVE to get new ones but I also have to find the time to do so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Good news for one of your friends and sending vibes for the other!!

Bummer about the tire. I have 71,000 on the truck tires and HAVE to get new ones but I also have to find the time to do so.
That's where I was, Gail. I really needed to get new tires for about 6 months or so and always ran out of time and/or money. A big ol' drywall type screw made that a priority real fast.
Earl said when the tire guy showed him the flat tire, there was about a 1/2" diameter hole straight through the tire.
No wonder it was flat!

Just to clarify, Jose is already home.
(It's pronounced Josey, like Josey Wales...talk about getting confused, there's the Spanish Jose (ho-say), then my friend Jose (Joe-sey) and the goaltender for the Avs Jose Theodore (Joe-say)
) We weren't sure how long his deployment would be. Another guy, (Andy) higher rank and different MOS (job), was there and back within about 3 months. Jose and Josh said their tours had usually been about 3-6 months before (Jose had been on 3, Josh had been on 5). He couldn't even tell us where he was at, after his unit left Baghdad. Just that he was still in Iraq.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's a bummer about the tire, but since you needed new ones anyway, maybe it was for the best. Lots of for your friend Mike.