Does my cat have allergies?

jem2998

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some experienced opinions here! My cat CC hasn't been healthy since last August. Last fall she was diagnosed with hypertension and hyperthyroid and put on methimazole. The radiation treatment was recommended, but I have been hesitant because I have always felt something else was wrong with her.

Long story short (kind-of!): She exhibited dramatic weight loss -- nearly 5 lbs in a month this March. She didn't want to eat anything except what I was eating. The vet administered another blood test and an ultrasound. Her thyroid readings are still high, but they suspect it might be something else. They are now following a different protocol, treating her for possible allergies and IBS. She's been having constant diahrea for about month now, and she's off the methimazole.

She's currently taking Prednisone, and that will taper in about a month when I'm supposed to take her back for another blood test to see if her thyroid readings subside.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? What questions should I be asking my vet?

Thanks in advance for your help!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old is she? IBS and hyperthyroidism can often occur together--treating the hyperthyroidism and getting the levels under control can help normalize the digestive tract. (It sort of makes sense since high thyroid levels speed up the metabolism, so why not the digestive tract?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jem2998

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding.

She just turned 12 on Monday.

I'd love any suggestions for food that she might like and would eat. She also lives with a sister that is not ill that will be eating the same diet.

Thanks!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jem2998

I'd love any suggestions for food that she might like and would eat. She also lives with a sister that is not ill that will be eating the same diet.
Do you feed wet or dry?

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would see if you can get her to eat California Natural, either the chicken and rice or the herring and sweet potato. Both are very simple foods (both in canned and in dry), so if there is a food allergy issue, they can help narrow it down.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

I would see if you can get her to eat California Natural, either the chicken and rice or the herring and sweet potato. Both are very simple foods (both in canned and in dry), so if there is a food allergy issue, they can help narrow it down.
True, unless chicken is the issue, which both recipes contain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jem2998

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both cats stick their nose up at wet food (unless it's "people" food on my plate, of course).

I will look for the California Natural product. I understand that cats can be allergic to protein? So the herring sounds like it might be a better choice?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jem2998

Both cats stick their nose up at wet food (unless it's "people" food on my plate, of course).

I will look for the California Natural product. I understand that cats can be allergic to protein? So the herring sounds like it might be a better choice?
The California Naturals herring recipe still contains chicken. If you're looking for a dry chicken free food the only option is Nature's Variety Lamb & Oatmeal formula.