russian blues and abyssinians

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ive been looking into different breeds of cats and the abyssinians and russian blues have captivated me, we have one little boy who was found as a feral but does look suspiciously like a russian blue,...

but too the point what are these cats like tempermant wise?
im not looking too get one .. yet but in the future when we move house and have space for another?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely, the blue cat that's feral is a domestic short hair. I would highly doubt that a Russian Blue would be found in that situation - but I could be wrong. They would not do well with that scenario.

I have a Russian Blue whose name is Stoli. He wouldn't last two seconds outside because any sound or motion would scare him to pieces. He could hunt though. Stoli is very skiddish around other people. He LOVES me, which I think is a part of this breed - to attach themselves to one person. He is too smart for his own good, we've had to put locks on all our closets and cabinets. Others on the board definitely know more than I. But I will ALWAYS have a Russian Blue - Stoli is the best, he's my soul mate. He's fun, smart, beautiful, chatty, needy, etc etc etc!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RB's and Abys are on opposite ends. RB's are quiet and more laid back - more one person cats. They have quiet voices; some females in heat don't talk loud enough to know they are in heat!

Abys are very active people cats - they love attention, are smart and are outgoing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

RB's and Abys are on opposite ends. RB's are quiet and more laid back - more one person cats. They have quiet voices; some females in heat don't talk loud enough to know they are in heat!

Abys are very active people cats - they love attention, are smart and are outgoing.
hehe thats the fun of earning

ill get a pic of beau and put it in a seperate thread maybe someone can tel if he has RB in him?
i dont think its british bue hes more slender than that!
i loove abbys but bues are stunning too what colour do the abbys come in?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abys come in 4 basic colors - ruddy (black tipping), red (brown/chocolate tipping), blue (blue tipping) and fawn (pinkish/blue tipping). In Europe and Australia they are producing silver abys and somalias

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

In Europe and Australia they are producing silver abys and somalias
TICA accepts silvers and there are silver Somali breeders in the US. So I would assume there must be silver Aby breeders in the US also.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Really? That's cool - I figured that TICA would be the first ones to accept them - hopefully the others will too one day

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you're in the UK you will be able to find Abys in a range of colours - the ones currently accepted are: usual (black ticked), sorrel, blue, fawn, usual silver, sorrel silver, blue silver, and fawn silver. Chocolate and lilac have provisional status in the GCCF so may also be available, but can't be shown in championship classes at present, which may be a consideration if you fancy showing. There are other colours that crop up that aren't yet accepted or only have preliminary status so can't be shown including red, cream, and tortie, and silvers of those colours also.

I was really taken by a usual silver aby that I saw at a show, absolutely stunning colour in my opinion

Edit to add: Your Cat magazine has just done features on both the Aby and the Russian Blue - the Aby was in the April 08 issue, and the Russian Blue was March 08, so if you haven't seen those it may be worth ordering them as back issues

Editing again: Sorry I have edited this several times to try to describe the colours and their current GCCF status. I'm sure I've been a bit confusing, so here is a link to a table showing the colours available and what their current status is in the GCCF. Other registries in the UK such as TICA and FIFe will not be the same, but most breeders are GCCF registered.

Abyssinian colour chart, UK colours