Nature's Miracle - Does it work?

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 5 month old boy ended up sick a few weeks ago and had a few accidents around the apartment. That was forgivable, but he still is pooping outside the box once every night. Twice he's peed outside of the box now. I don't know why he would be doing this. We've been saturating the [wood] floor with Nature's Miracle spray after every time he goes, but it doesn't appear to stop him. I don't know what to do with him to get him to stop. Suggestions???

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many cats like to have 1 box for pee and 1 box for poo. My cat Kiko started pooing just outside the box, when I added more boxes for him, the very first day, he stopped and it has never happened again.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
all i can say is that there are invisible bits of smell that you can see when you use a UV light, and if not every bit of that invisible smell is getting pulled out of the carpet, that will make the animal go there again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

all i can say is that there are invisible bits of smell that you can see when you use a UV light, and if not every bit of that invisible smell is getting pulled out of the carpet, that will make the animal go there again.
We don't have carpet. I've soaked the entire area of the room with the Nature's Miracle.

I'm afraid he's just decided that he likes to go there, because he's using his litter box too. I have never had an animal that went in the house like that so I have no idea what to do to make him stop. I thought about moving something to the area so that he couldn't get there anymore, but it's right in front of the door, so that wouldn't work. I don't know what to do or how to discipline him, especially since I rarely catch him in the act.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
oops sorry i read your post wrong, try putting a littler box in the new spot hes going

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

oops sorry i read your post wrong, try putting a littler box in the new spot hes going
I would consider that but we wouldn't be able to get in or out of the apartment then. Our entry way is only the width of the door, and that's where he goes, right in the corner by the front door.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guessing you've had him to the vet to make sure there's no lingering physical ailments, right?

He may be associating the box with at least some discomfort from when he was sick. I'd probably get two boxes (I know, I don't have room for enough boxes in my place either, but two is definitely good, in different locations), and try Cat Attract (or maybe Kitten Attract since he's so young). Maybe even get brand new boxes, just in case there's somehow an off odor in the existing box. And, check with a black light to make sure you've gotten all the odors up. Zero Odor is good too, but it's mail order only right now. OK, I'm also assuming you're scooping twice a day or so -if not, you may want to increase your frequency.

You can't really discipline him, since he won't know why you're disciplining him. If you catch him literally in the act, gently pick him up and put him in the box, but never yell at him or make him feel that the act of going itself is somehow bad.

I had very good luck with Cat Attract, and I've got a boy who's just picky about his boxes.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might need something different for wood. I know NM does work well on carpets/cloth. Getting pee/poop smell out of wood is very hard to do. Its better to have a good coating of polyurethane on wood to help seal is against damage. I'll have to ask DH what he recommends you do with the wood now.

ognstub

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
natures miracle didnt work very well for us...but s.o.x. did.

he might want another box. i would say move a box tothe spot but i see its a doorway.

have you tried to clean the other side of the door? maybe theres something there. or a smell coming in or something like that. i recently caught my idiot neighhbour rubbing his cats arse on my door crack. i put weather stripping around the inside of my door and it stops lots of smells from coming in.

one of my cats wont go when the washer/dryer is on.

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
time to move, OGNStub!

NM does work but sometimes it takes forever, with multiple applications. wood floors can be tought depending on its porosity. i would move the box and continue to treat the area.

my cat did this once, it took me a while to realize he had decided he didn't like the cat litter i switched to (from regular to recycled paper). but i had been using it for a month before he started doing it, so there was a delayed reaction.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update, but yes I scoop the litter box daily, and change it and clean the box weekly. Also, he has no lingering ailments. The reason he was sick is that he has food allergies, which appear to have been resolved since.

Here's something slightly odd. I notice that when he decides that he's going to poop in the corner he will go and meow by the door a few times. It's not a pained meow, just his normal meow. So, every time he has meowed by the door yesterday/today DH has run over to spray the NM on the floor, then Gus walks away.

I will try spraying it on the other side of the door, I hadn't even thought of that.