Rude Neighbors

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So we just moved into a new town on a lake where as far as we knew, we only had one permanent neighbor, the rest are vacation houses. We have a big doberman... hes dumb... hes loud. but we love him. We have tried everything we can short of buying a shock collar to stop his barking, its a constant battle. But in his dumbness he gets himself stuck under a table and barks for help to get out... over and over again.

So on his way to work my boyfriend finds a note on our mailbox. (and i would like to point out that we have NEVER had any contact with the neighbor(s?). No kind "hey your dogs loud can you keep him quiet")

"Dear Neighbor,
We deal with your dog's incessant barking which may not bother you, all the time. I understand its a stupid animal But you could certainly buy a Muzzle. I have dealt with the barking and let it go, but letting it out to bark before 9am on the weekend is just RUDE! I work all week and sat. and sun. are my time to sleep in and relax. THe barking has gotten a little better, but early marn on the weekends is frankly ignorent and rude. We dont want to be on bad terms with you so please try to understand.
Thank you, your neighbors"

To me this letter is written by a person who has never owned an animal. "Stupid animal"??? "muzzle"??? I get that he barks, and whoever you are if you are paying THAT much atention to it, you MUST have seen us trying to quiet him down. You even admit that its gotten better! and weekends??? hes only been out before 9 once in the last month! we dont even wake up before then!

Why do people have to be so rude? Had they sent a nice note saying "hey can you quiet your dog a bit" i would be much happier to oblige... but right now im just thinking of sticking a note to the dogs collar that says "woof, come deal with me" because im sure no one would DARE go near him

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd tell them it is NOT a stupid animal and you are TRYING to quiet him down. Point out they admitted it's getting better and a muzzle will not help to quieten a barking dog down, but will probably distess it more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
unfortunently they didnt say who they were... that makes me mad because they are just being cowards. what if we wanted to discuss it with them?

Though convieneltly they left the note of their business notepad... advertising much?

rescuecatsrule

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

unfortunently they didnt say who they were... that makes me mad because they are just being cowards. what if we wanted to discuss it with them?

Though convieneltly they left the note of their business notepad... advertising much?
Make a note of it and try to find out who it is by using it.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok they could have worded it a bit better, so the thing is now to do something before it gets nasty because i can see it happening?.

Have you thought about a behaviourist for the dog?.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
we are certainly concerned about the dog now, because we dont want anything happening if someone gets mad...

the dog doesnt really need a behaviorist, he mostly barks at one of the (hint hint) neighbors dog down the road who doesnt tie up their dog and he wonders through the neighborhood. I think i need to call animal control next time i see it, its a pit bull. not that i have anything against them... but it (or any dog) shouldnt be wondering the streets when it has a home.

So our landlord, when my boyfriend mentioned that we hope our dog doesnt bother anyone, said "
the neighbors, they always complained about my dog too, thats the kind of people they are."

Sheesh, i jsut wish they hadnt been so rude!

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find myself agreeing with your neighbors.

Perhaps the wording of the note could have been better, but it was still overall in the polite range.

Nobody likes a dog that barks all the time. It can drive you mad.

There are elctronic devices available that emit high pitched sound whenever the dog barks. They're supposed to curb the barking habit. Maybe you can look into getting one of those.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

So our landlord, when my boyfriend mentioned that we hope our dog doesnt bother anyone, said "
the neighbors, they always complained about my dog too, thats the kind of people they are."
The landlord sounds a pleasure to speak to as well!
Bottomline is it's all down to respect at the end of the day, because no one wants to live in an atmosphere with the neighbours.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i agree hon, and bottom line is that we are working to keep him quiet, and will step it up even more.(i say that as hes been outside for 2 hours and hasnt barked once
such a bad dog. )

it just didnt need to be that... angry... i think it there was any poor atmosphere created? it wasnt by us.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My neighbor's once complained about my dog (mind you they have a Beagle that howls 24/7). They wanted me to put a shock/bark collar on my Macey. I told them to bring one down. That they did. I told them to put it on her, forewarning them she wouldn't like it.

She bite him squarely in the arm. He has never complained about Macey's barking since. Whoever had her prior to me getting her fried the living
out of her with a shock collar....she won't wear one without fighting to her death first.

I'd do whatever you can to keep your dog from barking above normal....but barking when another dog wanders through the neighborhood, IMO, is normal for a dog. I realize some people don't like dogs....but they can't sit there & complain about the dog barking & then turn around & say they never make a ruckus.

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a pain! I just moved and Im having a problem with my neighbors dog (they cant keep it out of my yard and I dont like picking up other dogs poo).
I would suggest looking into one of those anti bark collars, they spray a little citronella or something like that when the dog barks. Or start taking him out on a leash and bring a spray bottle of water with you and when he barks tell him quiet (or shh, or whatever, just pick one word that you dont use every day in conversation and stick with it) and give him a squirt with the bottle. Hopefully before long you'll just be able to say shh and hold up the bottle and he'll get the idea. Good luck!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't resort to a shock collar! No dog deserves such a horror, no matter how much noise he makes.

If your dog is only barking when this pit bull runs loose, then that dog's owners are the real problem -- assuming your area has a leash law. Does it?

There are humane ways to train a dog not to bark excessively, and if you haven't already given them all a fair try (including professional training classes), that would be a good next step. It does sound like you have a slightly airheaded doggie there, though!
Bless his heart, a fierce-looking Doberman, and he gets caught under a table? Awwww!

Having said all that, let me add: I think your neighbor's note was poorly written, but not intentionally rude (aside from her obvious distaste for animals). Some people just don't express themselves well, especially when they're upset... and to me, that sounds like a note written by someone who is just very worried about having peace and quiet, and about staying on good terms with her neighbors. (It sounds like a woman's writing to me.)

See if you can read it in that light... and if you can, maybe you won't feel as insulted by it, y'know? I think this person was trying to be nice, but just isn't very articulate. Maybe you can actually make a friend here.

Not a very close friend, probably, but... not an enemy, at least.

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i dont think we could resort to a shock collar... its too mean... plus the sweet doof that the dog is he probably would never learn the corilation between the bark and the shock.

i just dont see what this person is seeing... hes been outside for almost 4 hours, and there have been people in the next yard and he hasnt made a single peep. Yes he barks, but only at the things that ALL dogs bark at... another dog going through the yard? getting stuck under a table? thats normal right? I hate to agree with the landlord, but i think that we just have some jerky neighbors. (the landlord lived in this house for 2 years before renting it out)

I think its a guy that wrote it, i havnt seen any women around here, and the handwriting is manly, not to mention wriTTeN lIkE ThIS.

and whitecatlover? i LOVE that you had them do it, that is awesome. (and beagles are terribly loud!)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can sympathize with you, but I have to say that I'm on the side of your neighbours on this issue.

I've lived in an area where I've had to listen to the non-stop barking of neighbour's dogs, and to be honest, I'm not a violent person, but I was at my wits end and was thankful that I didn't have a gun in the house. In two cases I even went and dog napped the animal and took it to the Humane Society and made a complaint about neglect.

Perhaps you can fix up a run for your dog that doesn't have any obstacles that he can get caught under? And let him out early morning to go potty, but bring him in again until later in the morning?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I think your neighbor's note was poorly written, but not intentionally rude (aside from her obvious distaste for animals). Some people just don't express themselves well, especially when they're upset... and to me, that sounds like a note written by someone who is just very worried about having peace and quiet, and about staying on good terms with her neighbors. (It sounds like a woman's writing to me.)

See if you can read it in that light... and if you can, maybe you won't feel as insulted by it, y'know? I think this person was trying to be nice, but just isn't very articulate. Maybe you can actually make a friend here.

Not a very close friend, probably, but... not an enemy, at least.
Yep, I agree with that completely. If it was meant to be rude, they would have simply said something along the lines of "keep you bleeping dog bleeping quiet or I'll shoot it!"

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking as someone who gets sick of listening to dogs barking I have to side with your neighbor. I suspect part of the reason for the language in the letter was frustration. You obviously know your dog barks excessively. You know barking annoys people. Why did they have to communicate with you at all? Part of being a good neighbor is making sure you don't do anything to disturb your neighbors. You should apologize to your neighbors and do something to remedy the situation.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's a tough situation. You don't want your dog barking and neither do they. I've lived beside a barking dog and I also love to sleep in on the weekends so I appreciate how very annoying and upsetting it can be.

I think the onus is on you to get some behavioural training for your dog because he's not being bad, he just needs training.

I certainly wouldn't offer to let them put anything on your dog so that it will bite them - that's asking for trouble and a possible lawsuit.

Be an adult and responsible by trying to work with your neighbour - let them know you are going to get behaviour training for your dog and won't put him outside without supervision before say 10 am on the weekends.

Don't ever underestimate the value of good neighbours.