Feliway?

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does Feliway work to soothe introductions between cats or is it only for marking/spraying problems?

Where can you buy it? Do you find it's been helpful?

My cat plays rough too, just like Teddy in a previous thread. DH wants to defer introductions until we've got the biting under control. But he's got to start getting used to our other cat *sometime.* He wants to be inside with us so badly and I've been letting him in the living room/bedroom areas a couple hours every day. Over the next 2 weeks I'll be scent swapping and gradually making his "visits" longer, maybe 4 hours divided into 2 visits. (He's in the garage as of now, which is the only place where we can make sure both cats are secure and there are no surprise altercations. Plus, it's a big enough room where he doesn't feel hemmed in during the day.)
Thanks for listening!

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never tried feliway myself but I know that there are other members who have and have found it quite helpful in the introduction process. I know that it comes in a spray and a diffuser (a plug in). I don't know what part of the world you live in but I've seen them for sale at places like Super pet and Petsmart.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used it as when I went away on hols my kitty went to stay with family who have a kitty. I got the felaway diffuser as I heard of it on here and I bought it from the vet. I think it worked. My kitty is quite chilled out and so is my families cat, they got on really well, no probs at all. It was that the other kitty is slightly nervous but too be honest he came right out his shell and they were playing and kissing each other! He goes there for a holiday when we go on holiday now and he loves it! I think that they are useful definately.

jimmy jazz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used both as I have a cat I got from the shelter. I didn't see too much of a differnce. I used the spray on me and was still hissed at and attacked. But I have read how well it worked for others.

zoethor2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For our rescue kitty, it made an enormous difference in behavior -- she calmed down, stopped biting us nearly so often, and got FAR less aggressive with our other cats.

For the other cats, I can't tell if there's a difference.

*shrug* I think it really varies between cats how much of an effect you get.

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it definitely works better with some cats than others, but it does work. if nothing else, the scent of it keeps the cats distracted so they don't have as much time to spray/fight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zoethor2

For our rescue kitty, it made an enormous difference in behavior -- she calmed down, stopped biting us nearly so often, and got FAR less aggressive with our other cats.

For the other cats, I can't tell if there's a difference.

*shrug* I think it really varies between cats how much of an effect you get.
Hunh. Ok -- my cat has biting issues too and I am really hoping this will calm him down....

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Hopefully it will work for my cats. I was going to get one for Lucky's room and one for the living room.

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cheapest way I found to get it is online. That's the only way we can get it in Canada now as for some reason they've stopped selling it here

kittycurledup

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did end up getting it online, and it should be arriving soon! I got 3 diffusers for good measure and a 3 pack of refills. *keeping fingers crossed!!* And btw, I've read so many times on these forums that hissing at an aggressive cat gives them a definitive message to back up. Both dh and I tried this when he was getting really bitey, and it was like sunlight to a vampire! (He immediately recoiled in horror. I felt so bad!!!!) But it did work, and we only use it as a last resort -- if other verbal commands / loud noises are not working. Thanks for the tip guys!!!!