Allergy free laundry soaps

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone of any that come in powder form, in a big box and I can get at a grocery store.

This started before I started line drying my clothes. About a month or so back I started getting the itchies all over. No hives just itching like crazy. Its not easy to describe the area that itches: its small flesh colored bumps (kinda link pimples in size and shape but not pimples) and they itch like mad. I have always had these bumps on my arms but more are popping up and now they are starting on my back. Last time I itched this bad was 6 years ago when I tried arm and hammer laundry soap.

For whatever reason I think its the laundry soap (Tide mountain fresh (or spring). And I can not find just regular tide with no scents in a large box. So either I am gonna try Gain (no scents) or try and find a hypoallergenic laundry soap. Because by golly I am going nuts.

Thursday I switched to a hypoallergenic eco friendly fabric softner and I still itch like made.

So any suggestions?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^ I use the All too. I don't believe I've seen any powder ones, just liquid.

I know my father never has been able to use Tide, it always left him with an awful rash.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll look into that and check the prices.
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

I use All Free & Clear to wash all of our laundry in (i have really sensitive skin and psorasis!) it is great! (i use the liquid) I totally recommend it.

Instead of using fabric softner sheets- switch to dryer ball. They're MUCH more eco. friendly and won't irritate your skin! http://cgi.ebay.com/AS-SEEN-ON-TV-DR...QQcmdZViewItem

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've used Gain Free and Clear before and like it. I also love using 7th Generation detergent, but I don't know if it's available in a powder.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I got blue plastic spikey dryer balls at bed bath and beyond... they work just as well as the softener... um what about trying Deft (or is it Dreft?)... It's marketed as a detergent for babies because it's for sensitive skin... I know it's in the grocery store and believe it's powder and liquid.... I always use tide with no problems

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stick with plain ordinary original Tide. I don't use the ultra or the bottled or the one with bleach. Just the plain ordinary original one. I find the others give me a rash and make me itch.

You might also try a baby laundry soap. Those are quite gentle.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've had success with All Free & Clear....I've used Dreft also, but it's more $$.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have done all free and clear but purex natural essences works better for me

ryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Could you get some soapnuts anywhere conveniently? Never tried them myself, but I hear they are very efficient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of soapnuts So I would have no idea where I could give get that at.

Eliot'sMom posted this in my other thread:
1 Cup Grated Soap
1/2 Cup Washing Soda (NOT baking soda)
1/2 Cup Borax

I know where I can get the washing borax but where can you get the other 2. I have never heard of them and I live in a small town. But where can I get the other 2.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also get that nasty rash from laundry detergents and fabric softeners. With me, Bounce dryer sheets are what does it the worst. Any detergents that are that cloudy light blue color also get me. I also find that the original Tide, not any of the new special scents, works best for me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This has become a huge problem for me, too. The dryer sheets are the very worst, and I finally got my mom (who insists on retaining control of the laundry despite my best efforts) to stop using them on our towels -- but apparently, when she uses them on her own clothes and sheets, they leave a residue in the dryer that gets on the towels, and that's enough to make my face burn and turn red.

As for detergents, I think Arm & Hammer's unscented version is pretty good.