Collars and Kitties

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow didn't think this would be so tough.

I bought two collars for my cats. They were thoroughly unimpressed and ran around the house like crazed animals when I put them on.

How hard is it to get them use to it, and is there any recommendations to make this an easier transition?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two orphans as well. They are about 7 months old now and have had a collar with a bell on it for a long time. We kept the bell on so we would know where they were and would not accidentally step on or kick them. I put the collars on and then played with them. Chasing a string toy or whatever they like best. They got tired and went to sleep forgetting all about the collar. Their first reaction was much like you said. They didn't take but a short while that day to get used to it. I have the safety break away collars. Now if they are playing rough and the collar comes off they will sit by it until I put it back on. Will probably get rid of the bell when they get older and keep the name tag on. Good luck.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't use collars. We did have a collar on Ling for awhile cause she's mostly black and she tried to get outside for awhile, so the collar with bell was to let us know where she was before we opened the door.

But she hated it and got it off more then it was on. You just have to keep putting it on them till they get used to it (or until you are tired of chasing them to put the collar on)

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ours did the same thing when they first got collars. Just leave it on them and they'll get used to it within a couple of days. If they're really freaking out, like you think they may hurt themselves, just keep it on when they're supervised and play with them or give them treats and increase the amount of time that they wear it each time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah they had been freaking out BAD. and I was concerned for their well being. Here's what I've done and I don't know if this is good or bad.

I decided to introduce them gradually. I put the collar on, and they're ok for about 30 seconds. Then they start getting upset. I leave it on until they start panicking. Then I take it off. (FYI they are safety collars with pull away clasps).

Then I let them play with them a little. They have tiny bells on them and the cats love to bat them around.

I figure if I keep doing this sooner or later they'll accept it.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

yeah they had been freaking out BAD. and I was concerned for their well being. Here's what I've done and I don't know if this is good or bad.

I decided to introduce them gradually. I put the collar on, and they're ok for about 30 seconds. Then they start getting upset. I leave it on until they start panicking. Then I take it off. (FYI they are safety collars with pull away clasps).

Then I let them play with them a little. They have tiny bells on them and the cats love to bat them around.

I figure if I keep doing this sooner or later they'll accept it.
That sounds about right. We have three black kitten brothers in rescue right now - and we tell them apart by their collar colors. They are fine NOW with them. Just make sure to adjust the size as they grow - sorry if that is "Duh!" advice.