TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Line Drying controversies
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Line Drying controversies - Page 4

post #91 of 117
I don't even own a dryer...I line dry. Underwear gets dried inside though

I don't see why it would be offensive either. It saves money, make your clothes smell good. It's all good
post #92 of 117
Its not a clothesline its a "solar dryer"!!!
I consider myself and my DH upper middle class (both college grads)-but we choose not to live in a Mcmansion, buy european vehicles, buy every thing on credit etc. That type of lifestyle isn't for us!! Most people in HOA's IMO have very elitist opinions and most are not the type of people I would want to associate with as they give Americans a bad name I have a top of the line washer and dryer but why use the dryer when the wind and wind are free.

But I grew up with mom hanging out the clothes and I do so from about April to October as they don't seem to dry well once the temps fall below 50F!! I have a four line clothline and I hang longer stuff in the front and back lines and a bit on the middle lines and the underwear goes in the middle lines. Trust me I've have checked from my road and you cannot see the underwear!! I have no problems with pollen, birds, insects etc... and the fresh smell well no synthetic "fabric softener" (which aren't good for towels anyhow) can EVER match the scent of the clothes, sheets, towels.

People who think they are offensive need to understand that clotheslines are very practical and I commend everyone who uses them!!
post #93 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Its not a clothesline its a "solar dryer"!!!
I consider myself and my DH upper middle class (both college grads)-but we choose not to live in a Mcmansion, buy european vehicles, buy every thing on credit etc. That type of lifestyle isn't for us!! Most people in HOA's IMO have very elitist opinions and most are not the type of people I would want to associate with as they give Americans a bad name I have a top of the line washer and dryer but why use the dryer when the wind and wind are free.

But I grew up with mom hanging out the clothes and I do so from about April to October as they don't seem to dry well once the temps fall below 50F!! I have a four line clothline and I hang longer stuff in the front and back lines and a bit on the middle lines and the underwear goes in the middle lines. Trust me I've have checked from my road and you cannot see the underwear!! I have no problems with pollen, birds, insects etc... and the fresh smell well no synthetic "fabric softener" (which aren't good for towels anyhow) can EVER match the scent of the clothes, sheets, towels.

People who think they are offensive need to understand that clotheslines are very practical and I commend everyone who uses them!!
Here in Canada it isn't just HOA type facilities that ban clotheslines. If one lived in the City of Toronto (and other cities/towns), one was not allowed a clothesline. That has just recently been changed thank goodness.

I can't remember if I read it here or elsewhere, but apparently those dryer sheets leave a film on the filter screen of the dryer and don't allow air passage through after a period of time. There was a recommendation to use a soft brush and clean it with soap and water on a regular basis. Makes one wonder what is really in those solutions.
post #94 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliot'sMom View Post
I live in a 15 foot wide rowhouse in Baltimore with a postage stamp backyard, and I don't have room for a clothesline. I bought large drying racks and my clothes get hung dry whenever it is nice enough to do it. It saves energy, period. I resent the fact that someone said it looks trashy to do that in a city. What is trashy about using less energy? I put my underwear on the inside of the drying rack, so no one has to see it. We live as green and as cheaply as possible. Using the sun and wind instead of electricity and gas is not trashy or sloppy. It's common sense.

BTW- for anyone who does line dry, I found that using detergent with fabric softener in it really cuts down on the stiff feel of the clothes.


i was totally floored when i read that anyone could have an objection to drying clothes on a clothesline! you'd think with global warming and dwindling resources, using an energy guzzling clothes dryer would be more frowned apon

some days, i swear, the things people come up with simply amaze me! banning clotheslines LOL

ok, i will say one thing though, i lived in a small developement where everyone hung thier clothes out to dry
what does look awful is when ppl leave those clothes out for days and days and days, with the wind tearing some of them off the lines, and them being strewn about. But that's just from the lazy folks who don't bother to keep anything neat, can't penalize everyone because of them!
post #95 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
I wonder if the underwear department in shops is offensive then? Since many seem to have a problem with people hanging out their delicates.
Yes - goodness me. Heaven forbid we may have to sometimes tolerate such terrible things in life as having something undesirable to look at like clothes drying! We really do have such crosses to bear, don't we?
post #96 of 117
I would love to line dry sheets. It makes them so crisp and they smell so good. I miss that.
post #97 of 117
Line drying can make things a bit crisper but there are far better alternatives to fabric softener. That's just one of the most evil things you can do to the environment!
post #98 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Its not a clothesline its a "solar dryer"!!!
I consider myself and my DH upper middle class (both college grads)-but we choose not to live in a Mcmansion, buy european vehicles, buy every thing on credit etc. That type of lifestyle isn't for us!! Most people in HOA's IMO have very elitist opinions and most are not the type of people I would want to associate with as they give Americans a bad name I have a top of the line washer and dryer but why use the dryer when the wind and wind are free.

But I grew up with mom hanging out the clothes and I do so from about April to October as they don't seem to dry well once the temps fall below 50F!! I have a four line clothline and I hang longer stuff in the front and back lines and a bit on the middle lines and the underwear goes in the middle lines. Trust me I've have checked from my road and you cannot see the underwear!! I have no problems with pollen, birds, insects etc... and the fresh smell well no synthetic "fabric softener" (which aren't good for towels anyhow) can EVER match the scent of the clothes, sheets, towels.

People who think they are offensive need to understand that clotheslines are very practical and I commend everyone who uses them!!
I live in an HOA. I find your broad brush painting all people that live in HOA's pretty darn offensive . Much like I would be pretty offensive if I were to say,
people that are college graduates are very elitist and not the type of people I would care to associate with.

So sorry that those of us that live in HOA's give all Americans a bad name.

And, for the record, I defended Ping's position on line drying so I guess that broad brush doesn't always work so well, does it?
post #99 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva! View Post
Yes - goodness me. Heaven forbid we may have to sometimes tolerate such terrible things in life as having something undesirable to look at like clothes drying! We really do have such crosses to bear, don't we?
Little Miss Smarty Pants. Did you dry those smarty pants on the clothesline?
post #100 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Little Miss Smarty Pants. Did you dry those smarty pants on the clothesline?
How very condescending.
post #101 of 117
Seeing as how I am friends with Sarah and my post was a little joke between the two of us, how is it you decided to make my post what is was not intended to be Z?
post #102 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Little Miss Smarty Pants. Did you dry those smarty pants on the clothesline?
Yes and I've got several pairs Cindy - one for each day of the week and twice on Sundays just in case I spend too long on TCS
post #103 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
Seeing as how I am friends with Sarah and my post was a little joke between the two of us, how is it you decided to make my post what is was not intended to be Z?
Sorry. I suppose I should have put smily faces on mine, too.
post #104 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I live in an HOA. I find your broad brush painting all people that live in HOA's pretty darn offensive . Much like I would be pretty offensive if I were to say,
people that are college graduates are very elitist and not the type of people I would care to associate with.

So sorry that those of us that live in HOA's give all Americans a bad name.

And, for the record, I defended Ping's position on line drying so I guess that broad brush doesn't always work so well, does it?
Well HOA's seem IMO to limit peoples individualities. I dare say there are few people living in that type of environment that would be willing to push the envelope and try line drying. Gosh what will the neighbors think!!
post #105 of 117
Hmm. This is very interesting. Living smack dab in the center of Manhattan, I never imagined that "line drying" had become an issue in the world.

The reason I'm jumping on this thread right now, is that I just heard on the news that some neighborhoods in the "exclusive" Hamptons have rescinded a law about line drying. They now say it's ok, since it's more cost efficient and saves on electricity.

Well........duh.

I'm sorry......I just have to laugh.
post #106 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanner View Post
Hmm. This is very interesting. Living smack dab in the center of Manhattan, I never imagined that "line drying" had become an issue in the world.

The reason I'm jumping on this thread right now, is that I just heard on the news that some neighborhoods in the "exclusive" Hamptons have rescinded a law about line drying. They now say it's ok, since it's more cost efficient and saves on electricity.

Well........duh.

I'm sorry......I just have to laugh.
Wow - some "green" ideas are actually becoming mainstream!
post #107 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
Well HOA's seem IMO to limit peoples individualities. I dare say there are few people living in that type of environment that would be willing to push the envelope and try line drying. Gosh what will the neighbors think!!
Believe me when I say I have never cared a bit what the neighbors think.

And my HOA has not limited my individuality in the least. That is just funny.

So, do I still give Americans a bad name?
post #108 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-ji View Post
So reading this, I realize some people think hanging clothes out to dry is a low class thing to do. It doesn't surprise me, as people become more affluent they like to distance themselves from the old ways. Being more modern (the fifties) to being more technological savvy (now) has been sold so well by ad agencies. Nothing works like being told you are behind the times or old fashioned to get people to abandon common sense and part with their money.

Breast feeding was portrayed as being old fashioned, lower class and unsanitary. That sold a lot of bottles, sterilizers and later manufactured formula. It's a fact that breast milk is superior for babies, but how many years did it take for that information to come out?
Scientists and research money had to prove what your grandmother already knew.

We been sold a lot over the years, with industry and advertisers trying to tell us how to make our lives better, only to be find out what they were selling wasn't in our best interests, but theirs.

The greening of America is selling very well lately because the advertisers are finding out where to get the money out of it. It may backfire on them as people realize they can do with less and may be happier for it.
Your post reminded me of a conversation I was a part of at a BBQ last weekend. One particular person is apparently on the board for their neighborhood's HOA and quite proud of it. They were discussing the rules and what not that they have (things like no above ground pools, etc). Really, they were quite proud to say what people can and cannot do there. The neighborhood is on the nice side, but not nearly the best or most expensive around. At first I couldn't believe this person who's oppinions I usually agree with without hesitation thought that way. But then I remembered that this person came from a very poor background where they didn't have nice things. And what things they did have weren't kept with care either. I've known this person a long time and over the years I've learned that that is what drives them to be so particular about their home and belongings. And it's probably why they want to be in a neighborhood where everything is top notch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
my trailer park is like a mini HOA we are not even allowed to have clotheslines- a trailer park without clotheslines, imagine that
I don't think they are allowed in mine either. We're not allowed Satellite dishes either, though they don't enforce that one. But we all do have small lots, so there really isn't any privacy around here. I just use the collapsible racks inside the house.

I have to hang dry a lot of clothing so things don't shrink. Ever since I 'developed' I've had trouble with shirts in particular becoming too tight after being in the dryer. One reason I didn't like drying everything outside as a kid was because I always seemed to get flying ants in my socks. But we also had our clothing line about 15' from a 200 acre forest. At my Gram's I don't ever remember having that problem. Gram also has a line in the basement that is constantly in use. DH and I plan to have one like that too if we have a basement when we buy a house.

I too give the clothing a good 'snap' when hanging them and wrinkles aren't so bad.

I understand why some people might not like hanging things outside to dry or seeing others things outside and to each his own. But I don't really agree with banning them altogether. Maybe banning them from front yards so long as people do have a reasonable space for it behind their homes. But then if you delve into who and what defines "reasonable"; you open a whole other can of worms right?

I personally want to do everything I can to avoid a HOA when we do buy. I know they can do a lot of good, but I just plain don't trust people being put in charge of things like that. I guess I've heard too many stories where it seems like HOA's go on a 'power trip,' if you will, and focus on nit-picking every little thing. If I'm going to spend X amount of money on something that is supposed to be mine, I'm not going to want my neighbors scrutinizing my every choice. Having studied Interior and Architectural design in college, I have very specific ideas of what I'd like to do with my home. Nothing outlandish, but my home is my canvas. I don't quite know how to say it, but basically I wouldn't be happy. When I'm not being creative, I'm not being myself.

I met a woman at Home Depot last Christmas replacing all her regular white lights for white LED lights because her HOA threatened to fine her. And I know they are supposed to be more energy efficient and all, but really, fine her?? At least give people a full year to replace things like that. Instead it was either their way right now or no way. I say just no!
post #109 of 117
I have a confession to make: It was so hot here today that I couldn't bear the thought of using our dryer, which is in our kitchen, so I line-dried our undies. Guess what? Nobody dropped dead upon the sight of "unmentionables" swinging in the breeze!
post #110 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
I have a confession to make: It was so hot here today that I couldn't bear the thought of using our dryer, which is in our kitchen, so I line-dried our undies. Guess what? Nobody dropped dead upon the sight of "unmentionables" swinging in the breeze!
No but they may have reported you to the "gendarmes". Or, maybe your unmentionables are quite lovely and "mentionable".
post #111 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
No but they may have reported you to the "gendarmes". Or, maybe your unmentionables are quite lovely and "mentionable".
Well, I did get one response. A woman who lives two doors down saw my "bras" (actually cupless, cropped-off camisoles) from her balcony, and wanted to know where I got them!
post #112 of 117
So, your underwear is indeed mentionable!
post #113 of 117
i use this:



i've put it on the balcony and no one sees it
post #114 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ<3Me View Post
i use this:



i've put it on the balcony and no one sees it
That's what I use inside if it's raining and I need to get the clothes dry. The cats steal all my socks off it though
post #115 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
That's what I use inside if it's raining and I need to get the clothes dry. The cats steal all my socks off it though
Oh my girls go for anything strappy or with strings! Those things have to get tucked inside and/or hung near the top! They haven't tried to climb the rack since they were kittens fortunately! (Now they just might collapse it!)
post #116 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymotus View Post
That's what I use inside if it's raining and I need to get the clothes dry. The cats steal all my socks off it though
Yeah they should be renamed `Irresistible Cat Toy'. Sashka used to climb up and swing off the clothes on our airers
post #117 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ<3Me View Post
A few people put those up in their back gardens where i live instead of washing lines.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Line Drying controversies